Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohrightantlers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Hello. I tried updating my iPhone 5s on my MacBook Air through iTunes and I repeatedly kept getting this error message

The iPhone could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (-1)

It's currently stuck on recovery mode. I've tried holding down the on/off and home button, updating iTunes and my OS, uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes, updating on another computer, and Reiboot. Haven't tried TinyUmbrella yet or getting the ipsw (this isn't a jailbroken phone) but I really want to try all other options before doing a full restore. Anyone have any suggestions to try? Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Hi

Perhaps an Apple Genius Bar Appointment would be one of the next steps if you have a store local to you.

XT550

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
Try to restore your phone. Try more than once. If nothing happens try on a different computer. If still nothing then I'm afraid you have a bricked phone. Error 1 is a pretty nasty one and has to do with faulty baseband chip. You'll need to tear down your phone to remove and replace it. I'd rather have a replacement phone instead.

clickiphone

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2014
Your iPhone is stuck in restart mode. Download Wondershare Dr.Fone for iOS. Install and launch it on you computer then connect your iphone and click on restart the device.

ohrightantlers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Try to restore your phone. Try more than once. If nothing happens try on a different computer. If still nothing then I'm afraid you have a bricked phone. Error 1 is a pretty nasty one and has to do with faulty baseband chip. You'll need to tear down your phone to remove and replace it. I'd rather have a replacement phone instead.

:) Thank you. I did try what you've suggested and I ended up just restoring my phone to factory settings at the Apple store. I did the online Apple chat help and they said that it might need to be replaced, but I'm glad I didn't have to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.