Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
This is okay but not what i hoped for by jailbreaking.

I again notice very high drainage when moving from bad reception areas to areas with wifi back and forth the whole day. ( my usual work day )

The text below mail suggests background activity.
I think mail might be a problem too.
It's always at 10 percent and I don't write any mail the whole day. It's set to fetch hourly.
Got 1 Gmail account and 1 exchange account from work. The maximum amount of mails I get on a workday is 20.

Your battery looks about as good as mine did before the jailbreak. 9-10 hours usage is what other people on this thread would kill to have. Talk about our first world problems. You're disappointed in that and I'm disappointed when my jailbreak gives me anything close to 12 hours because that's my new minimum haha (a week ago that would have been amazing now it's just average for me).

Anything with bad reception will drain the battery. The fastest I've seen my battery drain was in Costco (entire warehouse is made of concrete walls) and at my mechanic where my signal constantly switched between LTE and 3G every few minutes.

Mail is probably also draining it. Exchange is a known battery drainer due to how the protocol works. It has to use a keep-alive connection open the entire day for it's push email. There was a Verge article explaining it a few years ago back when I had an iPhone 4s. I remember reading it and switching to the gmail app instead and my battery life went from like 4 hours to 6 just with that change.

mfarben

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
Mail is probably also draining it. Exchange is a known battery drainer due to how the protocol works. It has to use a keep-alive connection open the entire day for it's push email. There was a Verge article explaining it a few years ago back when I had an iPhone 4s. I remember reading it and switching to the gmail app instead and my battery life went from like 4 hours to 6 just with that change.

Thats what i'm trying out just now. But The Gmail App just supports push , am I right ? And there's no possibility to use my exchange account with it.

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Have read in another mac rumors thread about CloudMagic and have 1 gmail and 1 exchange account there with push. Works really good and seems to use less power then the mail app.

@tubbymac your battery life has only gotten better due to your jailbreak (post from you with tips) or did something else changed too?
I don't need jailbreak and didn't wanted to jailbreak my ordered iPhone 6 but when the battery gets that good then I'll do it.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Thats what i'm trying out just now. But The Gmail App just supports push , am I right ? And there's no possibility to use my exchange account with it.

I think gmail app only supports push, yes. I only got the battery life improvements in my 4s by eliminating exchange entirely. A lot of people used to use mail with the exchange connections through m.google.com to "simulate" push email back when Google didn't have the gmail app. If there is no way around issuing exchange at work you will still be taking the battery life hit on any mail accounts that use exchange.

I only use mail for my apple iCloud mail which barely ever gets used. I use Google Inbox app now for all my gmail (seems it's slightly better than even Gmail app on battery). If you want to try that I have a few inbox invites I can send out if you send me a PM with your email.

Have read in another mac rumors thread about CloudMagic and have 1 gmail and 1 exchange account there with push. Works really good and seems to use less power then the mail app.

@tubbymac your battery life has only gotten better due to your jailbreak (post from you with tips) or did something else changed too?
I don't need jailbreak and didn't wanted to jailbreak my ordered iPhone 6 but when the battery gets that good then I'll do it.

Hmm CloudMagic sounds interesting.

As for recent changes my battery life became exceptional after I did 8.1 jailbreak and changed a bunch of settings as well as tweaks. I don't know what caused the biggest change or if it's just all the little changes added up together. All the changes I made are in my post at:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=20365135

I forgot to mention in that post that I also have background fetch turned off (but that was also off before the jailbreak as well).

reverberlayed

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2014
Have any of you had problem with a loud home button? I've gon through 2 display replacemnts and 1 full device replacement and ended up with a flawless phone except for the home button loud and clicky. I have the iPhone 6 Plus 64GB Space Grey.

My home button is considerably louder than my previous iPhones (4 & 5.)

warnerve

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
This is my iPhone 6 couple of days old. I'm really happy with the battery.

Wifi, bluetooth, background refresh is on most of the apps, auto brightness, 4G, cellular data on. haven't really turned off any features.

Damn, you sure you not meant iphone 6 plus?

I can get almost 8 hours usage maximum, with heavy usage. How did you managed to get those extra two? I let my brightness below 50%, Bluetooth Off, and background refresh off

Byeen

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Hey guys, this is my usage vs standby overnight. I have iP6 for three days, so maybe it's just indexing Music ( I downloaded about 20Gb through itunes match). It was just lying on the table whole night and usage/standby are the same. Phone is also pretty warm under lens even when using only Safari.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 118

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
So I used my flashlight for about 2 minutes the other night... Is it really possible it drained that much power??

e731699a793d1f03ae44f6aa4967e7fa.jpg

jdogz

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2013
Have been really impressed with the "iphone 6" a lot better than the "iphone 5" with regards to battery life screen size etc. Using a iPhone 6 128GB Space Gray on iOS 8.1 Jailbroken.

BEFORE (Batterylife - Free JB app)
2igzitd.jpg

AFTER p1
33xkinc.jpg

AFTER p2
263dbv6.jpg

On occassion have used airplane mode with wifi only on. When cell reception is one bar (biggest battery killer).

Essa86

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
Hi guys here is my battery usage on an iPhone 6 plus that I just got. I add the Fleksy keyboard and I notice that the usage of the keyboard is draining my battery. Although in my iPhone 6 that I had it didn't do so.

Anyone is faceting this same or similar issue with different keyboards atleast.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 112

warnerve

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
New run, auto brightness on, wifi all the time, bluetooth and background refresh also off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 92

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
Damn, you sure you not meant iphone 6 plus?

I can get almost 8 hours usage maximum, with heavy usage. How did you managed to get those extra two? I let my brightness below 50%, Bluetooth Off, and background refresh off

Yep, pretty sure #

I'm just using the device like i would normally do. Big improvement for me over the iPhone 5.

Yesterday I took a another screenshot of the battery stats.

Usage 9 Hours, 6 Minutes
Standby 1 Day, 2 Hours

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I dunno how you guys are satisfied with around 7-8 hours (average battery life Im noticing here from the various screenshots) that too even on the newer devices. 6+ only looks like a significant leap.
I still think iPhone 5 on iOS 6 was the best ever combo of performance, battery life, size and looks. I regularly used to pull 10 hours of usage..miss those days!:(

hnguyen1982

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
Have been really impressed with the "iphone 6" a lot better than the "iphone 5" with regards to battery life screen size etc. Using a iPhone 6 128GB Space Gray on iOS 8.1 Jailbroken.

BEFORE (Batterylife - Free JB app)

AFTER p1

AFTER p2

On occassion have used airplane mode with wifi only on. When cell reception is one bar (biggest battery killer).

hi bro, can you explain for me about capacity 1808/1751 mah in BatteryLife? on my ip6 capacity 1812/1751

Pelea

Suspended
Oct 5, 2014
hi jdogz, what tweak did you install to get the triforce wifi? mine doesn't seem to be compatible on ios 8 :(

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I dunno how you guys are satisfied with around 7-8 hours (average battery life Im noticing here from the various screenshots) that too even on the newer devices. 6+ only looks like a significant leap.
I still think iPhone 5 on iOS 6 was the best ever combo of performance, battery life, size and looks. I regularly used to pull 10 hours of usage..miss those days!:(

Not sure how you managed 10 hours of usage with the 5. I usually got around 5 to 5 hours and 30 minutes. Same with the 5S. Never even close to 10.

With the 6 I get 7-8 hours.

I keep everything on with my iPhone, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Also auto brightness.

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
Not sure how you managed 10 hours of usage with the 5. I usually got around 5 to 5 hours and 30 minutes. Same with the 5S. Never even close to 10.

With the 6 I get 7-8 hours.

I keep everything on with my iPhone, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Also auto brightness.

I was referring to the usage times on iOS 6 on the iPhone 5. In iOS 7 and 8 the usage times are similar to what you mentioned, this was despite getting the faulty battery on my iPhone 5 replaced.

lucansmiles

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
Vienna, Austria
I took this screenshot about a month ago, thought I'd share this with you. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth always on, Cellular Data always on, Auto-Brightness activated
Lot's of music listening!

Attachments

• IMG_4333.PNG
    IMG_4333.PNG
    114.9 KB · Views: 93
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.