Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnilPani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
I just purchased a 2012 Mac Mini with a 2.3GHz i7 processor off of Fleabay and it was supposed to have a genuine Apple SSD.

Unfortunately, I have found that the SSD does not have TRIM support (it is running Yosemite), suggesting that it was user installed.

Do you know what the model number is of the factory installed Apple Fusion drive which would be listed in the System Information utility?

Thanks,
Pani

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I just purchased a 2012 Mac Mini with a 2.3GHz i7 processor off of Fleabay and it was supposed to have a genuine Apple SSD.

Unfortunately, I have found that the SSD does not have TRIM support (it is running Yosemite), suggesting that it was user installed.

Do you know what the model number is of the factory installed Apple Fusion drive which would be listed in the System Information utility?

Thanks,
Pani

no but if you show us the right info I can tell you what you have. give me 1 minute to walk to a diy fusion on a mini in my other room.

this 2012 i-5 base has the stock 500gb hdd blended with a samsung 250 gb ssd.

see that second screen post that screen for us and I will tell you if he lied to you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-21 at 12.14.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-21 at 12.14.10 PM.png
    690 KB · Views: 150
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-21 at 12.14.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-21 at 12.14.33 PM.png
    761.8 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011

Thanks,
Pani

The Fusion drive shouldn't have a model attached to it, it should be just a UUID which changes from machine to machine. If you're looking for the SSD model it'll be under Hardware/SATA under the chipset or Hardware/Storage under Physical Volumes. Now that said, Apple uses several brands for SSD's in the Mini, almost all of which are Samsung or Toshiba.

AnilPani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Thanks for the information guys. Attached is the drive information as listed in the System Information Utility. As you can see TRIM is not supported.

A cursory google search shows that the SSD model number matches a Crucial M4 SSD.

Am I correct in concluding that this guy cheated me and that I do not have a genuine Apple Fusion Drive (which should have full TRIM support)?

Thanks again,
Pani

Attachments

• PaniMacMini.png
    PaniMacMini.png
    244.3 KB · Views: 155

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
A cursory google search shows that the SSD model number matches a Crucial M4 SSD.

Am I correct in concluding that this guy cheated me and that I do not have a genuine Apple Fusion Drive (which should have full TRIM support)?

Just to clarify. A Fusion drive is not really one drive. If is a SSD and HDD striped together in Disk Util to show as one "Fusion" drive.

In a normal, factory Fusion setup you would have an Apple SSD with a Apple branded hard drive striped together to make the Fusion drive.

What you have is the Apple branded hard drive with a Crucial M4 aftermarket SSD combined to make a Fusion drive.

What it looks like happened is the previous owner had a hard drive only iMac, then added the Crucial M4 himself to make a "homemade" Fusion drive.

So yes, if he is saying this is an OEM Apple Fusion setup he is not being truthful. That M4 is clearly aftermarket.

AnilPani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Okay, understood.

Thanks for the info. Now to see if I can get my money back!

Best regards,
Pani

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal

Good Luck with that refund Pani!

For some more confirmation of your Trim support assumption here is an image of a Mavericks system report with a factory Fusion Drive. Note the trim support status.

Attachments

• Mavericks Trim Support.png
    Mavericks Trim Support.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 157

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
There's very little difference between an apple and non-Apple fusion drive, so unless you consider you overpaid, I wouldn't be too concerned.

For me the issue with the non-OEM SSD is you need to mess around with a hack to enable TRIM on the drive. Now with the changes in Yosemite, that has become more complex.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
For me the issue with the non-OEM SSD is you need to mess around with a hack to enable TRIM on the drive. Now with the changes in Yosemite, that has become more complex.

I agree there's some messing round, but trim enabler does make it pretty easy. I've not had any issues during the Yosemite pre release beta testing or the testing for 10.10.1 with KEXT signing preventing a boot. The worst I've seen is trim becoming disabled after an update but trim enabler has an option to warn you if the patch isn't active.

I can understand the OP being annoyed the drive isn't as promised but I'd take the price paid into account rather than immediately return it. I suspect there is very little price premium for an official SSD on the used market.

AnilPani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
There's very little difference between an apple and non-Apple fusion drive, so unless you consider you overpaid, I wouldn't be too concerned.

I don't think it is so much about the SSD itself, but more about the lack of TRIM support for non-original equipment drives.

In fact, AnandTech specifically mentioned poor garbage handling in the Crucial M4 as a reason to avoid using this drive with an OS that does not have TRIM support.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4253/the-crucial-m4-micron-c400-ssd-review/2

That was the reason I was looking for a Mac Mini with an Apple SSD as part of a Fusion configuration. I am not keen on disabling kext signature verification in order to use Trim Enabler and then having to worry about other potential issues with each OS update. Anyway, we'll see what happens. I haven't heard back from the seller yet and may have to get eBay or my CC company involved. :(

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.