Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Because ATT are greedy bastards who will only give you the reduced price if you sign up for Next? Which is a pain in the ass to bother with. I don't want to have to fill out a bunch of forms to buy a financed phone blah blah. I want to hand you a damn credit card, walk out and that's that. Wash rinse and repeat next year if I wish.

I can understand your trepidation, but AT&T have simplified their operations.

For example, I upgraded three lines on launch day at an AT&T store. I traded in a couple of old 4s phones too. No forms to fill out.

I paid off all three i6s a few weeks later. Did it at home via the AT&T app. Took a couple of clicks and was done. No phone calls to CS. No forms. No bother at all.

I'm in the process of unlocking them all right now. All via the AT&T website. Easy.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Because ATT are greedy bastards who will only give you the reduced price if you sign up for Next? Which is a pain in the ass to bother with. I don't want to have to fill out a bunch of forms to buy a financed phone blah blah. I want to hand you a damn credit card, walk out and that's that. Wash rinse and repeat next year if I wish.

If t-mobile didn't have crap reception where I work I'd have switched already. Because they are doing it right on that front.

I've since jumped ship to Verizon, mostly owing to coverage area issues, but I'm positive AT&T will give you the $15 ($40-$25) rate if you bring your own device, assuming you have one of their 10GB (or better) shared data plans.

Just make sure whatever iPhone you buy is unlocked at the time you purchase it if you expect to be able to use another SIM card abroad.

Same here...16 year old will never know about that extra 5!:D

Mine used almost 12GB of my 15GB plan last billing cycle, watching videos, etc. over LTE! :eek:

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
oh yeah. so i buy my phone full price cause i have to be able to use it overseas for work then I get to pay the $15 rate.

nope, I still have to pay $40. unless i mess with that Next etc stuff. which i dont care about because I can sell my iphone next year to Gazelle or such to cover the difference

On Next you can anytime pay off the phone in full and do whatever you want with it - it does not lock you into anything and you are not required to sell it back to ATT (if you payed it off), the only thing that they expect you to pay the full price of the phone at some point (and they even over you installments interest free).

I have four phones on the Next plan - but payed all of them in full when I got them - so I pay only $15 per line and I can sell and upgrade them at any time I want.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
On Next you can anytime pay off the phone in full and do whatever you want with it - it does not lock you into anything and you are not required to sell it back to ATT (if you payed it off), the only thing that they expect you to pay the full price of the phone at some point (and they even over you installments interest free).

I have four phones on the Next plan - but payed all of them in full when I got them - so I pay only $15 per line and I can sell and upgrade them at any time I want.
That's basically the same as just buying them full price without any Next involvement.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch

But the Next plan iPhone from AT&T won't be unlocked:
...cause i have to be able to use it overseas for work...

It also won't have an activation fee.

It's up to the individual buyer to decide which is more important to them.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It worked for hundreds of people over SlickDeals, so I can't see a reason why this wouldn't work for you.
All kinds of things can and do work for various people, doesn't mean it works for everyone. There are people who buy a particular model of a car for a few thousand less while someone else can't get down the price that low after even reasonably trying. What I'm saying is that all kinds of things are out there, not everyone can end up getting them, or getting the same things, or getting them without investing much more into it all than it might be worth it. Things of this nature that are basically just relying on what gets offered by retentions or some negotiations are basically not a given and can be quite different for quite a few people, even if they work out similarly for quite a few others.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
All kinds of things can and do work for various people, doesn't mean it works for everyone. There are people who buy a particular model of a car for a few thousand less while someone else can't get down the price that low after even reasonably trying. What I'm saying is that all kinds of things are out there, not everyone can end up getting them, or getting the same things, or getting them without investing much more into it all than it might be worth it. Things of this nature that are basically just relying on what gets offered by retentions or some negotiations are basically not a given and can be quite different for quite a few people, even if they work out similarly for quite a few others.

I bet you haven't even tried to call and do what I wrote. Not really sure what are you trying to lecture here over the forum. If typing is your thing, you can keep typing.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I bet you haven't even tried to call and do what I wrote. Not really sure what are you trying to lecture here over the forum. If typing is your thing, you can keep typing.
I don't need this particular offer. But I've gotten various ones before, while some of my family members weren't able to get the same ones or anything at all trying to same things. In other instances I wasn't able to get some that various others have been able to get.

All I'm pointing out is that with offers like that it's not usually a given that people will get them, unlike offers like the ones mentioned in this thread, for example, where it's not really a roulette game to get it or not.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Not sure how in the US they have apps like Spotify, Netflix, HD YouTube... and 500mb updates for games on the App Store then give people 10GB a month limit.

This is extremely low. We have similar but I live in a 3rd world country... and we don't have Netflix or Spotify

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Not sure how in the US they have apps like Spotify, Netflix, HD YouTube... and 500mb updates for games on the App Store then give people 10GB a month limit.

This is extremely low. We have similar but I live in a 3rd world country... and we don't have Netflix or Spotify

Some people have jobs and don't watch Netflix or YouTube all day long.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Some people have jobs and don't watch Netflix or YouTube all day long.

you are wrong. a 30-50 min of HD video will cost you around 500 to 1GB of data. So if you work 15 hours everyday and only watch 1 episode of any series for 1 hour or so before you sleep, you would still consume all the data within 20 days .

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
This deal still going on? When I go to switch my data plan it says I have the only data plan available to me on mobile share, very weird.

Weiser878

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
I don't understand how people have multiple lines on a 10gb plan.
I use 7-9 regularly with an occasional overage which this 15gb deal should take care of.

My LTE speeds are almost triple the WiFi speeds most places pull.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.