Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webcrush

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Hi all,

In the past I used a tweak called "Auto VPN" which which would connect to a VPN service automatically upon opening of certain apps. Worked great, loved it.

Today it was just updated to support iOS8 and it's suddenly requires registration and directs to a Chinese website making me question the legitimacy of the app. My concern is it might related to he recent app masking hack exposed.

I don't know how much scrutiny goes into listings in the BigBoss repo.

Anyone know about this app and new recent updates?

Thanks!

amorcito

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
Any vpn app that connects to random servers, the way you described are suspect. That "unknown" vpn could be viewing your traffic, etc. I personally deal with a paid vpn. PM me if you want the link to their site. After the issues with that wirelurker and the other, forget the name, the one that replaces the name of apps on your idevice, I am very cautious about what I install. Good luck. Be safe!

Hi all,

In the past I used a tweak called "Auto VPN" which which would connect to a VPN service automatically upon opening of certain apps. Worked great, loved it.

Today it was just updated to support iOS8 and it's suddenly requires registration and directs to a Chinese website making me question the legitimacy of the app. My concern is it might related to he recent app masking hack exposed.

I don't know how much scrutiny goes into listings in the BigBoss repo.

Anyone know about this app and new recent updates?

Thanks!

Last edited:

webcrush

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Appreciate the response.

Just to clarify--this tool doesn't provide any VPN service, it simply connects to one you've already created.

The chinese site served up is just a webpage to "register" the app which appears now required.

I've used this tool a ton in the past, I was just concerned that it was not longer the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.