Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
Just checked the web site and in addition to vinyl and standard CD, there is an option to buy 5.1 DVD or Blu-Ray hi-def (specs below) of The Endless River. So, my question is, will we Mac users be able to enjoy the full benefits of the Blu-ray? I don't think there's any way to get DTS-MA passed to an amp or receiver yet, or can the current implementation of HDMI/MDP pass DTS-MA now? Maybe a DAC? If not, then the DVD DD/DTS is the most we could do in terms of audio quality, right?

• 2-DISC BOXED SET
  • Box includes 24-page photo/credit booklet in hard cover, including previously unseen photographs from 1993 sessions

• CD in full colour card wallet with full colour label

• DVD (NTSC) or BLU-RAY in full colour card wallet with full colour label

• 3 x Collectors’ full colour postcards, one of which with 3D Lenticular design

• DVD contains ‘The Endless River’ album in 5.1 Surround (Dolby Digital and DTS), plus stereo version in 48kHz /24 bit
  • BLU-RAY contains ‘The Endless River’ album in high resolution 5.1 Surround (DTS Master Audio and PCM, 96/24), plus PCM stereo 96/24
  • PLUS EXTRA non-album audio-visual material (approx. 39 minutes): 6 video tracks and 3 audio tracks, unavailable elsewhere

• Includes archive video material and still photographs shot at the original 1993 recording sessions
  • 
Creative Director: Aubrey Powell, Hipgnosis / Sleeve design by Stylorouge / Front cover concept by Ahmed Emad Eldin
Album produced by David Gilmour, Phil Manzanera, Youth, Andy Jackson

CD
  • 
SIDE 1

Things Left Unsaid

It’s What We Do

Ebb and Flow​
  • SIDE 2

Sum

Skins

Unsung

Anisina​
  • SIDE 3

The Lost Art of Conversation

On Noodle Street

Night Light

Allons-y*(1)

Autumn ’68

Allons-y*(2)

Talkin’ Hawkin’​
  • SIDE 4

Calling

Eyes to Pearls

Surfacing

Louder Than Words

​
DVD*(NTSC) VERSION

‘The Endless River’ album in 5.1 Surround (Dolby Digital) 48kHz /24 bit

‘The Endless River’ album in 5.1 Surround (DTS) 48kHz /24 bit

‘The Endless River’ album in PCM stereo 48kHz /24 bit

BLU-RAY VERSION

‘The Endless River’ album in 5.1 Surround (DTS Master Audio) 96kHz /24 bit

‘The Endless River’ album in 5.1 Surround (PCM) 96kHz /24 bit

‘The Endless River’ album in PCM stereo 96kHz /24 bit

Video:
Anisina

Untitled

Evrika
(a)
Nervana
Allons-y
Evrika
(b)

Video material from standard definition sources
​

DVD Audio: 48/24

Bluray Audio: 96/24

Audio:

TBS9

TBS14

Nervana

DVD: PCM Stereo (48/24)

BLU-RAY: PCM Stereo (96/24)

Last edited:

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
I love Pink Floyd. But christ, The Division Bell was boring, dull wishy washy crap. Heres hoping this isn't more of the same.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I love Pink Floyd. But christ, The Division Bell was boring, dull wishy washy crap. Heres hoping this isn't more of the same.

I, too, love Pink Floyd, and (cough) here, I feel I must admit that I rather liked 'The Division Bell'. Actually, I must say that I liked it a lot. Each to their one, and all of that sort of thing…..

Indeed, I'll admit to being sufficiently intrigued to see what this album sounds like, sufficiently intrigued to probably go out and buy it…….as a CD…..

mtmac

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
I like both Floyd and Division Bell, however my hopes aren't that high for this release. There has been some new music added, but primarily this is just recycling content that never made it on Division Bell. Most releases like this are inferior material that didn't make the cut. If this was great material in the can, it would have been released 20 years ago along with or shortly after Division Bell.

So I guess I'm divided. I too would like new material, but leftovers are as good as we can expect. Only one song has lyrics. I'll buy it to finish off my catalog, and will likely like a few tracks, but I doubt this will be anyone's favorite Floyd release. This is little more than the surviving band members and record companies squeezing their fans for a little more money. I do like that it is actually new content rather than the repackaging/remastering of what we already own. I'm guessing like Division Bell, it will be great background music, something to set the mood at home.

I'll keep my mind open, but if I don't expect much, I can't be disappointed. Hopefully I'll be happily surprised.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
I have to say, both Dark Side of the Moon and Division Bell are my two most favorite albums from the group. I'll keep an eye and ear out for this new one.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Listening to this now. It's Ok so far. I got disappointed when I hear most of the release was going to be instrumentals.

I must say that I always enjoyed the Division Bell and thought it was one of their best. It was the second time that I got to see them live in concert.

The first time I got to see them live was back in the 80s for the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour. I was impressed both times.

Attachments

• IMG_8315-1.JPG
    IMG_8315-1.JPG
    560.6 KB · Views: 131

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Its just endless atmospheric synths and Gilmour guitar solos.

Meh out of ten.

Exactly. It's boring.

I listened to nearly the whole thing before I turned it off and gave up.

----------

I'm going to see if I can find the DVD locally today.

Other than being able to listen to the complete album on the DVD with the names of the conga on screen while each track is played, it's not worth buying the DVD or Blu-ray. You get the music videos but the music is dull and and I kept hoping it would get rocking in the spirit of One of these Days or some other song like that but it misses out.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
The few reviews I've seen haven't been kind. From one:

The music is beautiful and distinctly Floydian, but it’s also extremely derivative of many tracks from The Division Bell, as well as earlier Pink Floyd songs. These tracks aren’t just familiar, but contain presumably intentional and very noticeable echoes. For these reasons, The Endless River is a hard sell as a “new album”; instead, it could be called the world’s most lavishly appointed collection of outtakes.

Ouch.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
There are also good reviews....

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/nov/09/pink-floyd-endless-river-review

Regardless, I'm getting this album no matter what :)

Me, too.

Irrespective of reviews, this is an inevitable purchase. Reviews which read '[this is] derivative', or '[this is] reminiscent of The Division Bell' will not deter me from buying it (although there might be some - slight - pause for thought). Only a series of reviews (both here and in the mainstream serious media) which would have emphatically and unambiguously stated something of the lines of 'this album is awful' or 'this album is ineffable rubbish, utter and total self-indulgent tosh' might have served to make a persuasive case for my choosing not to buy this album.

In fact, I just bought it earlier today, but haven't managed to get around to listening to it yet.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Did you download the tracks or buy a CD, DVD or Blu-ray discs?

Well, I like to experience the physicality of these things, which probably makes me somewhat old school where these matters - especially music - are concerned. Anyway, to answer your question, I bought a - the - CD in a bricks-and-mortar high street store.

Re the CD itself, which I have now listened to (and added to my MBA's iTunes), it is very reminiscent of - and a bit derivative of - some of the other, older albums (Division Bell certainly but also some others).

However, to be honest, this does not matter terribly much to me. Indeed, the fact that this album sounds an awful lot like some of war they have done before is something which I find reassuring, and predictable, almost soothing; it means that I can have the album on in the background, as I write, and read, or sometimes pull some thoughts together.

In fact, the very last thing I want from a venerable, respected (nay, revered in some quarters) and antique group is wild invention or - worse - something which goes by the name 'experimental' at this stage in their career. This is because it might not be credible any longer in artistic or creative terms.

As an old fan of an old group, I want music which reminds me of their other music; I want the reassuring sound of something which is somewhat familiar without it being identical to what they have done before - and this album amply delivers that.

More to the point, their creative output has been so limited these past few decades (unlike say, that of David Bowie, who has managed to musically evolve, stay relevant and sane, and intelligently creative for decades) that I would find it hard to believe in, or welcome, or 'willingly suspend my disbelief' in some offering which was marketed as breathtakingly new and stunningly original.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Here is the test if this CD is any good: What do people who have never listened to Pink Floyd think of it? What if this was your first exposure to them? Yes there are some of these people around.

I think a new listener would need to like "ambient". That is the genre of this new CD.

The CD was put together as a tribute to Rick Wright. It's his synth recordings with some new accompaniment added over it.

If you take it for what it is, an attempt at ambient music using Wright's recording as a base then it is good. But if you wanted a new Dark Side of the Moon album you did not get what you wanted. Don't say the CD is "bad" because it is not what you wanted.

It is very well produced for what it is.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
I ended up with the DVD and ripped the 5.1 DTS audio. I agree, it is a very good production and "ambient" (or "new age") is as good a description as any. It does have dimension in 5.1 that makes it cool to listen to with the lights out and a rum and Fresca to sip from. :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, I personally liked it a lot because I love good ambient music, and above all, that particular 'ambient' sound is the sound that I like from Pink Floyd, so I have no issues at all with the album.

Of course, it is not a new 'Dark Side of the Moon' but it has not attempted to sell itself on that basis. It is a homage or tribute to what they were. Basically, if you like the sort of music that would remind you of 'The Division Bell' (and I did and do) you will like this.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
There are some fantastic Pink Floyd / The Orb remixes that are worth a listen. Currently listening to: Shine on you Crazy Diamond Fluffy Clouds version.

0.02c

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Having enjoyed Pink Floyd for many years and 'Dark Side of The Moon' is in my top ten albums of rock music, will give a listen when I have a chance.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Well, I personally liked it a lot because I love good ambient music, and above all, that particular 'ambient' sound is the sound that I like from Pink Floyd, so I have no issues at all with the album.

Of course, it is not a new 'Dark Side of the Moon' but it has not attempted to sell itself on that basis. It is a homage or tribute to what they were. Basically, if you like the sort of music that would remind you of 'The Division Bell' (and I did and do) you will like this.

The endless River was a side project that was going on at the time of the Division Bell, so yes it will sound much like Division Bell material, at the time this side project I believe was called The Big Spliff.

----------

The few reviews I've seen haven't been kind. From one:

The music is beautiful and distinctly Floydian, but it’s also extremely derivative of many tracks from The Division Bell, as well as earlier Pink Floyd songs. These tracks aren’t just familiar, but contain presumably intentional and very noticeable echoes. For these reasons, The Endless River is a hard sell as a “new album”; instead, it could be called the world’s most lavishly appointed collection of outtakes.

Ouch.

People who write reviews need to get their musical history correct before putting fingers to keyboard.

The endless River was a side project that was going on at the time of the Division Bell, so yes it will sound much like Division Bell material, at the time this side project I believe was called The Big Spliff.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Original poster
People who write reviews need to get their musical history correct before putting fingers to keyboard.

I've become quite enamored with TER. Music is good but the production is fantastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.