Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Yep. And, even better, if safari was more efficient then the system RAM could be freed up to do other stuff and not have to manage apps in the background so intensely. Safari needs to be tidied up. Period.
This has been proven wrong by many others. The problem isn't limited to just Safari. Even games would lose their progress when multitasking between apps. It was a lack of memory problem all along.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
This has been proven wrong by many others. The problem isn't limited to just Safari. Even games would lose their progress when multitasking between apps. It was a lack of memory problem all along.

Games losing progress when multitasking? Maybe I'm naive but when you are playing a game, don't you play the game and finish it before going to the next "thing"? What is it with these use cases where people are playing say Hearthstone one minute, then they decide "oh I better check my email right this second", then it's "oh no, I forgot to update that spreadsheet", then onto "better get to macrumors and blabber about this and that".

Doesn't anyone just complete task A anymore before moving into task B? What's with the crazy ADD symptoms with users these days?

It's one thing to have 2-3 tabs opened and bouncing between them. I can understand that. But TEN tabs? Playing games while updating spreadsheets while editing photos while posting to facebook while instant messaging? Really? Ya'll need to relax and take a deep breath.

Like Mr. Miyagi teaches Danielsan in Karate Kid: Breathe in, breath out, right circle, left circle.

:)

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
Games losing progress when multitasking? Maybe I'm naive but when you are playing a game, don't you play the game and finish it before going to the next "thing"? What is it with these use cases where people are playing say Hearthstone one minute, then they decide "oh I better check my email right this second", then it's "oh no, I forgot to update that spreadsheet", then onto "better get to macrumors and blabber about this and that".

Doesn't anyone just complete task A anymore before moving into task B? What's with the crazy ADD symptoms with users these days?

It's one thing to have 2-3 tabs opened and bouncing between them. I can understand that. But TEN tabs? Playing games while updating spreadsheets while editing photos while posting to facebook while instant messaging? Really? Ya'll need to relax and take a deep breath.

Like Mr. Miyagi teaches Danielsan in Karate Kid: Breathe in, breath out, right circle, left circle.

You're right, Apple should just scrap multitasking all together. And why both with a multi-window view in OS X, full screen all the way -_-

"Sorry, Safari cannot open due to Finder being open, please close Finder"

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

The problem is the underlying code of iOS. With no page file, all of your ram, no matter how much you have, will eventually be filled and the end result will be largely the same; programs will be force quit by the OS, tabs will reload. This still ABSOLUTELY happens on the Air 2. Once you reach saturation with the 2GB of RAM, programs are at risk of closing or reloading at any time, just like the earlier iPads. Yes, the threshold is much higher now, but the overall behavior is exactly the same.

torakaru

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2008
Canada
Our devices will eventually be all screen. Remove all unnecessary clutter.

Yeah, I also heard about that patent time ago :rolleyes:. But I also think that the Home TouchID button is one of the key mechanical design differentiator of Apple :apple: smartphones, so I am not so sure how much "years" we will have to wait to see it disappearing,... if that happens any day in the future... ;)

Wbutchart

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013
Did you type this response on your Air 1? Did you try using another tab to so some research for your response?

I thought not.

Go fluff in another thread.

Lol, what in my responce appeared like it required research? It's called sarcasm.

Exactly what does it mean to 'fluff' a thread? Cudos on sticking with the fabric metaphors through....

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008

What you may be missing is that not everyone is a child on these forums. Many of us have important things happening in our lives and games become secondary. That is why we would squeeze in games when possible but then flip back to real world matters as they come up.

Its something called "multitasking" and its what adults and mature teens have been doing with electronics for years.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
This thread just had it's first birthday. Soon it will be taking it's first steps and might even mutter a word or two. Amazing after a whole year I'm not sure one persons mind has been changed. I personally find it a bit perplexing because in the 35 years I've been interested in the technology field more ram is always better than less ram. That doesn't mean a system can't get by with less ram but more is definitely better than less. Does the this mean the iPad Air 2 with 2 GB have an advantage over other 1 GB iOS devices? Absolutely it does, while the difference might be small at first over time developers will start taking advantage of the extra resources. Between the A8x tri-core processor and 2 GB of ram the iPad Air 2 is almost a generation ahead of all other iOS devices.

rambling mode off ;)

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010

Do you ever get notifications that need to be acted on? Maybe even reply to a text or email? This is basic stuff.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yeah, I also heard about that patent time ago :rolleyes:. But I also think that the Home TouchID button is one of the key mechanical design differentiator of Apple :apple: smartphones, so I am not so sure how much "years" we will have to wait to see it disappearing,... if that happens any day in the future... ;)

They will eventually have to remove the button. There will be no bezel. The main design difference between devices will be software. That is why Apple and Google (Material Design) have been spending so much time lately creating these new software design languages. Physical limitations will eventually be overcome, the most difficult probably being optics. Otherwise these things are going to be bendable paper that doesn't crease. Well, at least not until #CreaseGate in 2024.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Lol, what in my responce appeared like it required research? It's called sarcasm.

Exactly what does it mean to 'fluff' a thread? Cudos on sticking with the fabric metaphors through....

Sorry, I guess I missed the sarcasm tag. Believe me, dealing with the "Apple can do no wrong" crowd for long enough, and dripping sarcasm just looks like a Tuesday for them.

torakaru

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2008
Canada
They will eventually have to remove the button. There will be no bezel. The main design difference between devices will be software. That is why Apple and Google (Material Design) have been spending so much time lately creating these new software design languages. Physical limitations will eventually be overcome, the most difficult probably being optics. Otherwise these things are going to be bendable paper that doesn't crease. Well, at least not until #CreaseGate in 2024.

Do you think so? :rolleyes: I am not so sure. Without any bezels in the top and bottom sides would be difficult to keep in landscape the device (while you see a movie, pictures or surfing) without touching the screen and making false touches on it. :p

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Do you think so? :rolleyes: I am not so sure. Without any bezels in the top and bottom sides would be difficult to keep in landscape the device (while you see a movie, pictures or surfing) without touching the screen and making false touches on it. :p

Yeah, and for that same reason you can't remove the big, bulky, external antennas from cell phones because they need a massively long antenna to get proper reception. Do you see where I'm going with this? These are going to become simple problems that will be solved with new technologies and advancements in hardware and software.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
For those who are still unconvinced that Safari tab reloading issues are related to lack of memory see the article listed below:

"This explains why tabs have to reload so often—inactive tabs are being purged from memory constantly, sometimes every time you load a new tab."

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/1...and-ipad-2-a-little-faster-kind-of-sometimes/

Yep. And the numerous apple defenders were bending over backwards pointing at anything and everything but apple cheaping out with the ram at the expense of user experience.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
This thread still alive, and always the same whiners posting on it.... Very interesting.
If I don't like a product, I'd choose a new one.

I have an iPad air and an iPhone 5S, both run flawlessly with 1 Gb of ram.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Yep. And the numerous apple defenders were bending over backwards pointing at anything and everything but apple cheaping out with the ram at the expense of user experience.

That's weird. I still get tab reloads on my iPad Air 2 with 2GB RAM. I think 1GB RAM is enough for our current OS

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
That's weird. I still get tab reloads on my iPad Air 2 with 2GB RAM. I think 1GB RAM is enough for our current OS

Well, I have both an original Air and an Air2. I can set them up with exactly the same situation, no apps running in the background, etc. I can then open two tabs of a MacRumours forum and the original Air will reload the first tab when I go back to it and the Air 2 won't.

I was disappointed when the original Air had only 1G of RAM but was out of my return window when I found out. I waited for confirmation before buying the 2. And yes, I was one who stated I would not buy another iPad unless Apple put in sufficient RAM.

I simply don't understand the deniers. Not only do we have many forum members stating the issue but we have the Andantech (or however you spell it) analysis specifically showing the memory issue.

If the deniers ran the world we would still be living in mud huts and eating cold veggies. We wouldn't have furs because 'we don't need meat or to keep warm, veggies and this cave are just fine. Why try to improve (ie change) our lot in life, I'm not having any issues because I never venture out of the cave'.

Can this thread just die already. Sheesh.......

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
Chuckling here at the people saying that the iPad Air wasn't a big leap from the iPad 4 other than cosmetics.

The Geekbench 3 scores on both single and multi core scores are almost double, regardless of the A6X having extra cores for the GPU compared to the A6 chip found in the iPhone 5.

I've gone from iPad 3 to 4 to Air and my Air on iOS 7.1.2 is an absolute joy to use, it's significantly quicker and smoother than my old iPad 4 which now belongs to my wife.

I may well get the iPad Air 2 next year and give my wife the iPad Air though, but in 12 months time when iOS 9 makes the iPad Air 2 a little more sluggish just so Apple can make their flagship iPad Air 3 look smoother in stores when side by side with an Air 2, we'll be seeing this kind of thread all over again.

These devices are not as slow as one software update makes them. There are apps on iOS 8 on the iPad Air 1 that perform smoother and quicker than the stock Apps. The simple fact is that these devices are so powerful and so quickly updated that Apple need to do something so that at quick glance in store, the new unit appears smoother and quicker.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Well, I have both an original Air and an Air2. I can set them up with exactly the same situation, no apps running in the background, etc. I can then open two tabs of a MacRumours forum and the original Air will reload the first tab when I go back to it and the Air 2 won't.

I was disappointed when the original Air had only 1G of RAM but was out of my return window when I found out. I waited for confirmation before buying the 2. And yes, I was one who stated I would not buy another iPad unless Apple put in sufficient RAM.

I simply don't understand the deniers. Not only do we have many forum members stating the issue but we have the Andantech (or however you spell it) analysis specifically showing the memory issue.

If the deniers ran the world we would still be living in mud huts and eating cold veggies. We wouldn't have furs because 'we don't need meat or to keep warm, veggies and this cave are just fine. Why try to improve (ie change) our lot in life, I'm not having any issues because I never venture out of the cave'.

Can this thread just die already. Sheesh.......

We can let it die but it sily doesn't happen to everyone. I can have three tabs of macrumors open and nothing reloads. There are other sites and times when I will see a reload but I must be lucky because they don't happen to me that often with such a few number of tabs open.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
This thread still alive, and always the same whiners posting on it.... Very interesting.
If I don't like a product, I'd choose a new one.

I have an iPad air and an iPhone 5S, both run flawlessly with 1 Gb of ram.

Same apologists stating that since they can't recognize they have an issue, the issue doesn't exist. And then to add insult to injury, they follow that up with a "let them eat cake" stance to those who can't replace products with every cycle.

Stay classy.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Same apologists stating that since they can't recognize they have an issue, the issue doesn't exist. And then to add insult to injury, they follow that up with a "let them eat cake" stance to those who can't replace products with every cycle.

Stay classy.

Problem is that you have to be somehow apologist these days buying apple product - eg ipad:
- ipad air 2 has screen distortion and vibrations caused by speakers (apologists say that you are holding it wrong thats why screen destorts and that little vibrations (they are really not so little) are fine)
- ipad air 1 - just one gig of RAM - tab refreshes all the day but apologists say it is not the case
- ipad mini 3 - old hw for new price:) - dont know how to apologise this:)

But you are right, we should at least try to stay classy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.