Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Weather Report - Live and Unreleased on CD

Weather_Report_Live_and_Unreleased.jpg

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
That loud beeping noise the broken fridge in the lab makes.

And also,

Screen%20Shot%202014-11-17%20at%2010.30.38.png

Such a trance-inducing sound.

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012

The 'Fandango' by Antonio Soler is one; Johann Pachelbel's wonderful 'Canon' is another, and just now, the 'Largo' , perhaps better known as a piece from 'Winter' found in Antonio Vivaldi's work 'The Four Seasons', which is demanding that I play it, as it is repeating in my mind, and so, I just have...

Excellent all around. There is an HD (96/24) version of The Four Seasons on HD Tracks that I am particularly enamored of. Highly recommended.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Excellent all around. There is an HD (96/24) version of The Four Seasons on HD Tracks that I am particularly enamored of. Highly recommended.

Thank you - nice to see that someone else shares some of my musical preferences.

Mind you, re-reading that list, I just realised that they are all from the Baroque era; it is not that I don't love classical type of 'classical' music - Beethoven, et all - it is just that I would not choose to listen to it again and again, whereas there is something both uplifting yet restful about those Baroque pieces.

However, from the 'classically classical' era there is one composer some of whose works I can listen to again and again, and it is W. A. Mozart.

Of the pieces by Mozart that I can listen to, and never tire of, I love his 'Serenade No 10 in B Major - K. 361 the 'Gran Partita' Adagio - indeed, I am playing it now as I write this.

And, still on W. A. Mozart, I must say that I also love his 'Piano Concerto No 20 in D Minor, K 466'. Perfection. Balm for the soul.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
Listening to:

Anna Prohoska's solo album "Behind the Lines"
Gang Starr's "Hard to Earn"
Martha Argerich's "Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto #3 and Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto #1"
Lana del Rey's "Ultraviolence (Deluxe)"

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Last Saturday, in the sad and sorry diminished corner of the only bricks and mortar store which (still) sells CDs in my locality - a space sadly reduced from its glory days - I bought the latest (and, I am informed, probably the last) CD released by Pink Floyd. Called 'Endless River', and coming with the usual spectacularly arresting sleeve, I am listening to it now as I write.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
You're #1, mobilehaathi is #2, and I'm #3.

Slightly embarrassed cough. Anyway, thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to answer my query (how does one find that sort of information out, by the way?)

Oooops. I hadn't quite realised that my enthusiasm for the topic of music generally would have led to this outcome.

But, yes, in the light of this particular piece of information which has been vouchsafed us, I think we can confirm mobilehaathi's observation that none of us are fathers, so the use of this term can not - in any literal or meaningful way - be considered to apply to us.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Slightly embarrassed cough. Anyway, thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to answer my query (how does one find that sort of information out, by the way?)

Oooops. I hadn't quite realised that my enthusiasm for the topic of music generally would have led to this outcome.

But, yes, in the light of this particular piece of information which has been vouchsafed us, I think we can confirm mobilehaathi's observation that none of us are fathers, so the use of this term can not - in any literal or meaningful way - be considered to apply to us.

It's rather simple. Go to the main forum listing where the threads are located and in the column for replies, click on the number in the row corresponding to the thread you wish to query and a pop-up appears. The pop-up lists the member name and number of posts. If you then click on the number of posts next to a member name, you can see all the posts that member has made in that particular thread.

Screen Shot 2014-11-22 at 8.05.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-22 at 8.06.06 AM.png

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It's rather simple. Go to the main forum listing where the threads are located and in the column for replies, click on the number in the row corresponding to the thread you wish to query and a pop-up appears. The pop-up lists the member name and number of posts. If you then click on the number of posts next to a member name, you can see all the posts that member has made in that particular thread.

View attachment 515417

View attachment 515416

Wow. I didn't know that, so thank you for posting this information and for taking the trouble to explain to me how to set about finding such things out. Really? That many? Ooooops.

Well, while I might make the top five in our wonderful caffeine fuelled corner of insanity that is the espresso thread, I rather imagine that the top spot lies elsewhere.

Back on topic, a little reminder of how good some of the music from the 1980s was with the song "Golden Brown" by "The Stranglers".

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

View attachment 515417

View attachment 515416

Ahem. Hadn't quite realised that I - um - posted a bit more than others, but that the margin as measured in actual numbers of posts (between mine and others) would be quite so……striking.

Anyway, having bought Pink Floyd's latest (and presumably, going by their own promotional literature, last) album, I thought I'd offer a few thoughts about it, as I have been invited to do so on another thread, elsewhere, devoted to that particular topic.

The album itself has received mixed reviews, some clearly disappointed at the limited artistic vision and creative shortcomings, and yet others expressing themselves pleased while stressing that this album, although authentically obviously coming from the Pink Floyd stable, in no way ranks among those albums of theirs which have been rightly considered classics. Now normally, I would have been swayed by such commentary, but I rather like Pink Floyd, and - unless the reviews had panned it as something utterly beyond creative or musical redemption, I had already made up my mind to buy it.

Well, I'm old school about music. This means that I have never downloaded a track, and I don't use the Cloud. For one thing, I like to experience the physicality of albums and like the actual act of buying them in a shop and handing over cash (or cc) to do so. For another, I have data protection concerns, and for a third, I also have concerns over the model of ownership of music proposed by the cloud model where one becomes a renter of access, rather than someone - who once the act of purchase has been completed - is now the owner of that product. Thus, I bought a - the - CD in a bricks-and-mortar high street store.

Re the CD itself, which I have now listened to (and added to my MBA's iTunes), it is certainly very reminiscent of - and, more than a bit derivative of - some of the other, older albums (The Division Bell, clearly, but also some others).

However, to be honest, this does not matter terribly much to me. Indeed, the fact that this album sounds an awful lot like some of what they have done before is something which I find reassuring, and predictable, almost soothing; it means that I can have the album on in the background, as I write, and read, or sometimes pull some thoughts together.

In fact, and this may sound heretical (especially to those who revered what Pink Floyd were once upon a distant time, as indeed, I did myself) the very last thing I want from a venerable, respected (nay, revered in some quarters) and antique group is wild invention or - worse - something which goes by the name 'experimental' at this stage in their career. This is because it might not be credible any longer in artistic or creative terms. This is because when 'experimental' becomes 'self-indulgent' my tolerance and patience wear thin, and I wish to grind my teeth in frustration.

As an old fan of an old group, I want them to make music which reminds me of their other music; I want the reassuring sound of something which is somewhat familiar without it being identical to what they have done before - and, to be fair, that is what this album amply delivers.

More to the point, their creative output has been so limited these past few decades (unlike say, that of David Bowie, who has managed to musically evolve, stay relevant and sane, and intelligently creative for decades) that I would find it hard to believe in, or welcome, or 'willingly suspend my disbelief' in some offering which was marketed as breathtakingly new and stunningly original. And, listening to this album, I have a feeling that they came to the conclusion that this is what their 'target audience' now expects from them, a conclusion doubtless concurred with by their marketing advisors.

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
Ahem. Hadn't quite realised that I - um - posted a bit more than others, but that the margin as measured in actual numbers of posts (between mine and others) would be quite so……striking.

Anyway, having bought Pink Floyd's latest (and presumably, going by their own promotional literature, last) album, I thought I'd offer a few thoughts about it, as I have been invited to do so on another thread, elsewhere, devoted to that particular topic.

The album itself has received mixed reviews, some clearly disappointed at the limited artistic vision and creative shortcomings, and yet others expressing themselves pleased while stressing that this album, although authentically obviously coming from the Pink Floyd stable, in no way ranks among those albums of theirs which have been rightly considered classics. Now normally, I would have been swayed by such commentary, but I rather like Pink Floyd, and - unless the reviews had panned it as something utterly beyond creative or musical redemption, I had already made up my mind to buy it.

Well, I'm old school about music. This means that I have never downloaded a track, and I don't use the Cloud. For one thing, I like to experience the physicality of albums and like the actual act of buying them in a shop and handing over cash (or cc) to do so. For another, I have data protection concerns, and for a third, I also have concerns over the model of ownership of music proposed by the cloud model where one becomes a renter of access, rather than someone - who once the act of purchase has been completed - is now the owner of that product. Thus, I bought a - the - CD in a bricks-and-mortar high street store.

Re the CD itself, which I have now listened to (and added to my MBA's iTunes), it is certainly very reminiscent of - and, more than a bit derivative of - some of the other, older albums (The Division Bell, clearly, but also some others).

However, to be honest, this does not matter terribly much to me. Indeed, the fact that this album sounds an awful lot like some of what they have done before is something which I find reassuring, and predictable, almost soothing; it means that I can have the album on in the background, as I write, and read, or sometimes pull some thoughts together.

In fact, and this may sound heretical (especially to those who revered what Pink Floyd were once upon a distant time, as indeed, I did myself) the very last thing I want from a venerable, respected (nay, revered in some quarters) and antique group is wild invention or - worse - something which goes by the name 'experimental' at this stage in their career. This is because it might not be credible any longer in artistic or creative terms. This is because when 'experimental' becomes 'self-indulgent' my tolerance and patience wear thin, and I wish to grind my teeth in frustration.

As an old fan of an old group, I want them to make music which reminds me of their other music; I want the reassuring sound of something which is somewhat familiar without it being identical to what they have done before - and, to be fair, that is what this album amply delivers.

More to the point, their creative output has been so limited these past few decades (unlike say, that of David Bowie, who has managed to musically evolve, stay relevant and sane, and intelligently creative for decades) that I would find it hard to believe in, or welcome, or 'willingly suspend my disbelief' in some offering which was marketed as breathtakingly new and stunningly original. And, listening to this album, I have a feeling that they came to the conclusion that this is what their 'target audience' now expects from them, a conclusion doubtless concurred with by their marketing advisors.

Ah, a very interesting post. Thank you.

I too typically eschew downloaded tracks, but for me that means primarily iTunes. I prefer HD tracks (from, for example, hdtracks.com) to CD's, although the selection of music at 96/24 or higher is criminally inadequate, so CD's remain my go to option, but ripped at better quality than iTunes provides.

I had decided to skip the new PF album, but your comments have caused me to purchase a 96/24 copy from Hdtracks this morning.

I have recently upgraded my home office system to Valhalla 2 cables and Odin interconnects, which is causing somewhat of a fall renaissance in my music tastes.

Off to listen to PF.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ah, a very interesting post. Thank you.

I too typically eschew downloaded tracks, but for me that means primarily iTunes. I prefer HD tracks (from, for example, hdtracks.com) to CD's, although the selection of music at 96/24 or higher is criminally inadequate, so CD's remain my go to option, but ripped at better quality than iTunes provides.

I had decided to skip the new PF album, but your comments have caused me to purchase a 96/24 copy from Hdtracks this morning.

I have recently upgraded my home office system to Valhalla 2 cables and Odin interconnects, which is causing somewhat of a fall renaissance in my music tastes.

Off to listen to PF.

Ah, excellent.

Having posted much the same impressions, and thoughts, along with musing aloud about creativity, invention, artistic credibility and what artists owe their public, on two different threads, I am interested in your response (and delighted that you bought the album).

In short, I like it. It is not 'The Dark Side Of The Moon' and nor does it pretend to be, but it is the sort of album which should appeal to anyone who likes ambient music, especially the kind of ambient music which used to be one part of the signature sound of Pink Floyd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.