Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orbitalpunk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Any info would be great appreciated. I'm having trouble find a company that sells it.

Thanks

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
They are available on Apple's parts network for certified Apple techs (forget what that's called) at great expense.

Or, on eBay, either from a few people in CA or TX, or Korea, in 1 TB configuration, for between 5-750 USD. I just bought one.

A Hobo

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Somewhere between Here and There
They are available on Apple's parts network for certified Apple techs (forget what that's called) at great expense.

Or, on eBay, either from a few people in CA or TX, or Korea, in 1 TB configuration, for between 5-750 USD. I just bought one.

GSX
And yes, they're expensive, at least to buy. exchange pricing is much better

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Any info would be great appreciated. I'm having trouble find a company that sells it.

Thanks

OWC will also be releasing some, but since they are using the much delayed Sandforce 3700 controller, who knows when they will finally arrive....

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Indeed OWC will, but my experience with OWC products has been very poor to say the least. I put an OWC Aura SSD in my 2012 MBA, and it truly was a piece of crap. Transcend is also working on a solution for the new MBAs, MacBooks, and the nMP. I would wait for them. I now have a Transcend SSD in my MBA, and it's been working GREAT!

Lou

ticotoo

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
Any info when OWC or anyone sell PCIe-based flash storage for nMP

OWC announced in Jan 2014 that they would have upgrades to the nMP PCIe-based flash storage. Has anyone heard anything?

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
i believe the macbook pro and the new mac pro take the same storage

Edit: changed from ram to storage

Last edited:

orbitalpunk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
OWC announced in Jan 2014 that they would have upgrades to the nMP PCIe-based flash storage. Has anyone heard anything?

I would avoid OWC. All ram I bought from them blew out at one point and needed replacement. And a thunderbolt enclosure emitted toxic fumes.

negatv1

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
MI
For another point of view - I wouldn't avoid OWC, as none of their RAM I have ever bought has ever 'blown out' on me. And if it did,they are known for standing behind their product and replace it.

Their higher end SATA SSD's were really good, so I'd think that if/when they do release Mac Pro style blades, they should be fairly decent as well.

Until then, as others have said - eBay. Bought same model 1TB SSD as shipped from apple for ~$700 a few months back.

beaker7

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2009
I would avoid OWC. All ram I bought from them blew out at one point and needed replacement. And a thunderbolt enclosure emitted toxic fumes.

I would recommend OWC. I've never had a RAM failure or any issues with their external enclosures.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
There is a new version of the Apple/Samumg PCIE ssd showing up on eBay that is delivering 1.4 GB per second performance. The SSD is not shipping in any current Apple products and is the fastest consumer SSD ever. The controller part points to a NVME based SSD. only two people have been able to find a ssd to date.

1 TB SSD's for the new Mac Pro can be picked up for as low as $500. There is a good market for used mac pro SSDs as well making your upgrade even cheaper.

EdDuPlessis

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2014
There is a new version of the Apple/Samumg PCIE ssd showing up on eBay that is delivering 1.4 GB per second performance. The SSD is not shipping in any current Apple products and is the fastest consumer SSD ever. The controller part points to a NVME based SSD. only two people have been able to find a ssd to date.

What is the product code?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.