Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Strebord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
I can't find the .nib to control Finder top bar items.

I want to edit the Go dropdown menu.

In previous versions this was done by editing Menus.nib inside Finder.app (I think).

Any advice? Thanks!

Red Menace

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2011
Colorado, USA
What previous version are you coming from, and exactly what are you trying to edit?

Pretty much all nib files these days are compiled, so without the matching header there won't be much to go on - the user interface can also be done programmatically, in which case there might not be an editable file. There may also be code signing issues, so editing system files is even more of a bad idea than it was a couple of versions ago.

Senor Cuete

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
.nibs were in older versions of XCode. You should upload the latest version and convert them to the newer .xib format. XCode can do this for you. Since you are talking about editing a menu bar, I assume that you are talking about the menu bar provided by the Cocoa framework for an application. This is in MainMenu.xib.

Senor Cuete

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
The "geniuses" at Apple have decided that your Mac application has to have two menus added to your application's edit menu: special characters and start dictation. The framework adds these programmatically when your app loads MainMenu.xib at start up and you have to use a work around to get rid of them. Naturally this "feature" is undocumented. There's a thread about this on the Apple Mac developer forums:

https://devforums.apple.com/message/434381#434381

This gives you three of ways to get rid of them. Yes, this is *EXTREMELY STUPID*.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
.nibs were in older versions of XCode. You should upload the latest version and convert them to the newer .xib format. XCode can do this for you. Since you are talking about editing a menu bar, I assume that you are talking about the menu bar provided by the Cocoa framework for an application. This is in MainMenu.xib.

The OP is talking about modifying the Finder's menu bar, not about building an app.

Strebord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Thanks for all the information.

Yeah, it was either 10.7 or 10.8 that I pulled this off last time.

There is "StandardMenus.nib" in:

HD ▸ System ▸ Library ▸ Frameworks ▸ Carbon.framework ▸ Versions ▸ A ▸ Frameworks ▸ HIToolbox.framework ▸ Versions ▸ A ▸ Resources ▸ English.lproj

It seemed hopeful, but it seems like some things have changed in 10.10.

Previously I changed a system .nib to .xib, used Xcode to remove "All My Files" from the Finder top bar.

Alternatively, if anyone knows any other way to remove "All My Files" from the Finder bar, I'd be very happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.