Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
If they'd launch it, Apple Pay is FAR more useful in the UK than in the US. In the UK, contactless payments (like Apple Pay) are fairly widely accepted, while they are rare in the US.

I do agree. I want apple pay now, because I've usually got my iPhone in my hand in the queue anyway. Certainly more easily accessible than a card in a slot in a clicked-shut wallet in a pocket. Even more so driving and using a drive-thru, because my iPhone is out on the dash somewhere.

The Plastc just covers everything for me. It would replace about 6-7 cards (payment cards and other types) for me.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Doesn't replace ID card, public transport card, laundry card, VIP card, etc.. In fact, it would only replace my credit card with another credit card :rolleyes:

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Doesn't replace ID card, public transport card, laundry card, VIP card, etc.. In fact, it would only replace my credit card with another credit card :rolleyes:

It has Barcode, NFC, Magnetic, and Chip. Chances are the laundry, transit, and VIP will work fine on this card along with your credit cards.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
It has Barcode, NFC, Magnetic, and Chip. Chances are the laundry, transit, and VIP will work fine on this card along with your credit cards.

How does it work? Do you clone the information from your other cards to Plastc with the charging device or something?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Finding this out on the Coin site just killed it for me:

Q. Why do I have to buy a new Coin when my battery runs out?
A. Coin is the size of a typical credit card and at this time we were not able to fit a replaceable battery nor recharging components into this form factor. Coin is an electronic device, not a plastic card. We must charge for each device to cover the costs of research and development, manufacturing, and support.

They are $100.00 a pop! And it's not rechargeable...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I'm skeptical of this "wipe the device" concept. If you can wipe the card info from the app, doesn't the phone need to be connected to the card via bluetooth for the request to be transmitted? Don't you usually realize you've lost a card when you are nowhere near it?

Edit: Or is wiping the info on the card more of a concept, when it really just sends a message to each card company deactivating it?

It's based on PROXIMITY of the card to the iPhone. In other words, apparently, lose your wallet at home, and have to reload your card...

----------

But I mean, how does Plastc know how to emulate my laundry card's NFC chip? How does it extract that information?

It comes, will come, with a chip reader that will read your chip and associate the code(s) with that card.

It says so right on their site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.