Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayKyte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2014
Should Apple create a 8 version for Mavericks .....or is 7 the last and not newer features.... ?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Apple released a version 6 for Lion when Mountain Lion can out that mirrored each other. Since then Apple as moved toward version numbers being tied to a particular OS and .x updates to mirror later OSes.

Safari 7 with Mavericks - Safari 6.1 (or 6.2) for ML and Lion
Safari 8 with Yosemite - Safari 7.1 for Mavericks

I think we'll see a Safari 7.2 and maybe Safari 7.3, but Apple sucks at updating old Software. Unless you plan to upgrade OS X you'll eventually want to switch to Chrome or FireFox to get the latest technology.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I really dislike the way the newer versions of Safari does not refresh web pages when using the back functions so I'm stuck at version 7.0.6.
When reading forums such as this one I prefer that when reading a post and then returning to the forum index that the posts I've read become un-hilighted.

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Safari 8 technology, but with the Safari 7 interface I would be happy with.

Actually, Safari 7.1 is Safari 8's technology with Safari 7's user interface...
The underlying WebKit of 7.1 has already been updated to match Safari 8's.

Graig

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Vancouver, BC
There was a failed attempt to update Safari to 7.1.1 though the App Store the other day. The link for the pkg is still live but not sure if it's safe to install.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
The most recent Safari 7.x on Yosemite looks unlike Safari 7.x in Mavericks

… toward version numbers being tied to a particular OS and .x updates to mirror later OSes.

Safari 7 with Mavericks - Safari 6.1 (or 6.2) for ML and Lion
Safari 8 with Yosemite - Safari 7.1 for Mavericks …

A few days later:

Apple Releases Safari 8.0.1, 7.1.1, and 6.2.1 [Update: Pulled]

About the security content of Safari 8.0.1, Safari 7.1.1, and Safari 6.2.1 – Apple Support (modified 2014-12-04)

I think we'll see a Safari 7.2 and maybe Safari 7.3 …

There was a failed attempt to update Safari to 7.1.1 though the App Store the other day. The link for the pkg is still live but not sure if it's safe to install.

Please see above, the link to the news article.

Safari 8 technology, but with the Safari 7 interface I would be happy with.

Actually, Safari 7.1 is Safari 8's technology with Safari 7's user interface...
The underlying WebKit of 7.1 has already been updated to match Safari 8's.

Really? That's sweet :cool:

If that update makes it unnecessarily difficult to get a traditional Safari 7 interface with Safari 7 on Yosemite: not so cool …

… I experimented with symbolic links from parts of Yosemite to parts of Mavericks. Unfortunately, Safari 7.x lacked a title bar. Sorry! …
:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.