Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MitzEclipse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Hi All,

I went into an Apple Store today to do a phone swap as my sleep/wake button didn't work. They did the phone swap and the phone works great, everything is fully updated and all data transferred. (Backup was done via cable/iTunes as I had my laptop with me).

Everything worked well except for my mail push notifications. I am using the native Mail app (not Gmail app) for mail and push notifications is not working.

I have deleted the mail account settings, reinstalled it and still doesn't work. Mail send and receives just fine when I'm in the mail app itself and I refresh, however, not when the phone is dormant.

Please help as I really need these push notifications for my mail and would like to use the native mail app. (not gmail app)

Thanks in advance

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
gmail stopped supporting exchange on the mail app ages ago. you were probably grandfathered in (as was i) until the swap. when i upgraded my 2 year old iPhone 5 to an iPhone 6, i lost push.

MitzEclipse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
When I set up my gmail previously it wasn't the straight forward setup, rather, it was done via some odd setup through clicking on Exchange, manually adding the imap/smtp servers, etc...

How do people get push now? Is this only available through the gmail app?

How disappointing!

Zenton

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
You can use a service such as nuevasync.

You could also create an iCloud/other mail address that has push in the native mail app, and redirect all gmail emails to that address.

MitzEclipse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012

You could also create an iCloud/other mail address that has push in the native mail app, and redirect all gmail emails to that address.

Thanks for the tip for nuevasync however 1) I don't want to pay for it and 2) I'd rather not pass my data through another 3rd party.

I thought about the icloud mail address however, it's a bit messy having mail in the icloud and in gmail.

I may have to resort to just using the gmail mail app :(

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008

yup or use the gmail app. otherwise just fetch every 15 minutes and if you're waiting for something important, manually fetch. for me, it's a minor inconvenience, but all my business email pushes from a private domain.

MitzEclipse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Thanks - one more question - how would i be grandfathered into the push services before? I did a system restore so how would gmail know the difference?

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
Thanks - one more question - how would i be grandfathered into the push services before? I did a system restore so how would gmail know the difference?

i think you were grandfathered by the device. i handed down my iPhone 5 to my daughter when i upgraded and i think she still gets push gmail. LOL

MitzEclipse

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
i think you were grandfathered by the device. i handed down my iPhone 5 to my daughter when i upgraded and i think she still gets push gmail. LOL

haha - that's so odd.... fingers crossed for a workaround... I'm not a big fan of the gmail app!

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
haha - that's so odd.... fingers crossed for a workaround... I'm not a big fan of the gmail app!

i don't hate the gmail app, but i have several emails through the apple client, so it makes no sense to have a separate app for gmail. i just learned to deal with it. hope you find a solution.

Zenton

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
I'm on the free 10 day nueva sync trial at the moment. Been loving it so far.

I also dislike the gmail app (and inbox). When the trial is over I decide wether it's worth it.

ANTAWNM26

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
gmail stopped supporting exchange on the mail app ages ago. you were probably grandfathered in (as was i) until the swap. when i upgraded my 2 year old iPhone 5 to an iPhone 6, i lost push.

I'm getting push on the gmail app

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Time to ditch gmail. iCloud email works fine and it's a cooler domain appended to your name.

I NEED push email so I can respond quickly to some business-related emails. If Google wants to gimp gmail then NFW do I reward them for it by switching to their email app. Apple's Mail is the chicken's teats anyways...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.