Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badger91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Agreed with the others, if nothing else re-seat the RAM and see if that helps, and check for battery swelling when you do (I edited my last post, have a look).

WRT your usage, that's a fairly light usage model so you should be able to go a bit lighter on disk if you want. I also wouldn't worry so much about expandability in your case.

I pulled the battery last night when I was researching stuff. I noticed that when I push on one corner it does rock a bit.

Try only using one RAM module at a time and seeing if the problem is still there.

I'll give that a try if I can find my screwdriver. All of my stuff is at my house and I'm at college right now.

n0cus

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
Agreed with the others, if nothing else re-seat the RAM and see if that helps, and check for battery swelling when you do (I edited my last post, have a look).

WRT your usage, that's a fairly light usage model so you should be able to go a bit lighter on disk if you want. I also wouldn't worry so much about expandability in your case.

Is it a case of just getting a new battery, or is it something more serious?

I pulled the battery last night when I was researching stuff. I noticed that when I push on one corner it does rock a bit.

I'll give that a try if I can find my screwdriver. All of my stuff is at my house and I'm at college right now.

Worst case, you could go to a store and get a screwdriver set for pretty cheap. Apple was nice, and made all the screws Phillips.

Last edited:

badger91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Is it a case of just getting a new battery, or is it something more serious?

----------

Worst case, you could go to a store and get a screwdriver set for pretty cheap. Apple was nice, and made all the screws Phillips.

Just realized that. I'm going to pop it apart.

badger91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Pictured below is the part that's incredibly hot. It's not dusty at all. I pulled the ram and will reseat it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416767289.039257.jpg

badger91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
That's the DVD drive. Probably coincidental that it's hot because it's a big flat piece of metal. You can unplug that from the board easily.

That's what I thought. I'm just turning it back on. I'm thinking about it and even if I can fix this I'm wondering if I should get a new computer. I need something that's stable and not going to put me in a predicament if I need it before an exam or something. Such a hard decision!

n0cus

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
Pictured below is the part that's incredibly hot. It's not dusty at all. I pulled the ram and will reseat it. View attachment 515676

You might want to let it cool down before putting it back together. If you have any compressed air, it wouldn't hurt to get that fan a little spray.

----------

That's what I thought. I'm just turning it back on. I'm thinking about it and even if I can fix this I'm wondering if I should get a new computer. I need something that's stable and not going to put me in a predicament if I need it before an exam or something. Such a hard decision!

If you have the money, it might be worth getting a new machine, but I think we might be able to solve your stability issues on this one.

badger91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
I had it put together before you responded. I did blow out the insides. I feel like at the moment the trackpad is working like it should. The computer still is pretty laggy.

n0cus

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
I had it put together before you responded. I did blow out the insides. I feel like at the moment the trackpad is working like it should. The computer still is pretty laggy.

Send out the CPU usage now.

----------

BTW, do you have TRIM enabled?

badger91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Send out the CPU usage now.

----------

BTW, do you have TRIM enabled?

I have no idea what TRIM is. How do I check?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 12.48.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 12.48.58 PM.png
    168.8 KB · Views: 74

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
The battery being swollen is bad for a variety of reasons.

Yes, you should replace a swollen battery, there is a non-zero risk of it opening up, and that would be very bad indeed.

Here's a decent article on it: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/your-gadgets-battery-is-swelling-up-should-you-panic-75625500284.html

Bottom line, it will expand and move things around inside, especially the trackpad, and make things stop working.

----------

I have no idea what TRIM is. How do I check?

If you don't know what it is, then it's not on.

It's a way of keeping an SSD at peak performance. I don't think not having it on is related to your issue.

badger91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
It seems to be intermittent with the trackpad. It seems 'sticky' now but was fine before. It seems to be correlated with that I'm doing on my computer, but that could totally be mental. I tried to duplicate normal usage and heres what the CPU activity log showed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 12.55.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 12.55.16 PM.png
    441.7 KB · Views: 73

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
It seems to be intermittent with the trackpad. It seems 'sticky' now but was fine before. It seems to be correlated with that I'm doing on my computer, but that could totally be mental. I tried to duplicate normal usage and heres what the CPU activity log showed.

Click on the memory tab and send that screenshot.

n0cus

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
The battery being swollen is bad for a variety of reasons.

Yes, you should replace a swollen battery, there is a non-zero risk of it opening up, and that would be very bad indeed.

Here's a decent article on it: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/your-gadgets-battery-is-swelling-up-should-you-panic-75625500284.html

Bottom line, it will expand and move things around inside, especially the trackpad, and make things stop working.

----------

If you don't know what it is, then it's not on.

It's a way of keeping an SSD at peak performance. I don't think not having it on is related to your issue.

Thanks for the article, man!

badger91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Here you go

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 1.02.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 1.02.53 PM.png
    171.7 KB · Views: 83

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009

Easiest way to test is to shut down the computer, remove the battery, then re-start only using the cord.

Important note: don't expect stellar performance doing this, some Macs will detect the missing battery and purposefully reduce performance.

Also, if the cord comes loose, obviously you will have just shutdown in the most abrupt way possible.

badger91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Easiest way to test is to shut down the computer, remove the battery, then re-start only using the cord.

Important note: don't expect stellar performance doing this, some Macs will detect the missing battery and purposefully reduce performance.

Also, if the cord comes loose, obviously you will have just shutdown in the most abrupt way possible.

That article is interesting. I have been using my computer with the battery out since before I took my computer apart. The problem is still intermittent with my trackpad.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
That article is interesting. I have been using my computer with the battery out since before I took my computer apart. The problem is still intermittent with my trackpad.

That's disappointing, typically the problem goes away if the battery is removed, this brings up the specter of hardware damage - which is what I've suspected since I read your OP.

I have to go now, but my conclusion to this point is that you have a hardware problem which may be fixable but would take some time and effort to get to. The other people in this thread had good ideas, reseating the RAM for example.

The bad thing here is the extreme heat - things can warp and go in out of contact and it will be unpredictable. Kernel panics are typically another sign of bad hardware.

I've seen a few (not many!) Apple laptops just give up and be intermittent like this, it does happen.

Bottom line, if you depend on a computer to be there for you, I'd get a new one.

If you do want to continue troubleshooting, I'd remove the DVD drive as the next step - it shouldn't be hot. Either it's hot because it's failed, or something behind it is heating it up.

badger91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
That's disappointing, typically the problem goes away if the battery is removed, this brings up the specter of hardware damage - which is what I've suspected since I read your OP.

I have to go now, but my conclusion to this point is that you have a hardware problem which may be fixable but would take some time and effort to get to. The other people in this thread had good ideas, reseating the RAM for example.

The bad thing here is the extreme heat - things can warp and go in out of contact and it will be unpredictable. Kernel panics are typically another sign of bad hardware.

I've seen a few (not many!) Apple laptops just give up and be intermittent like this, it does happen.

Bottom line, if you depend on a computer to be there for you, I'd get a new one.

If you do want to continue troubleshooting, I'd remove the DVD drive as the next step - it shouldn't be hot. Either it's hot because it's failed, or something behind it is heating it up.

Thanks for all of your help! I would like to fix it but it seems like every few months I have a new issue of some sort. I think getting a new one is probably my best bet. I'm going to take some time to think about it. If anyone else has any ideas just let me know!

badger91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Kernel panics, lag and running hot. Help!!

Is it possible that dust on the fan blades was making my computer overheat? I've been paying attention to the temperature and it hasn't gotten hot at all today since I took it apart. I haven't been using it hardcore but normally I think it's hot all of the time. Still don't know if I should just get a new one or what. I can get the new 256gb MBPr for $1,232 so it's tempting.

badger91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Now I am having issues closing all of the MS Office apps..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 10.07.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 10.07.20 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 10.08.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 10.08.00 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 74

badger91

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Now this is what is going on with it today.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 11.51.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 11.51.44 AM.png
    911.9 KB · Views: 85

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Having an intermittent fault means things will be fine for minutes, hours, days even weeks before things go bad again.

Again, if you depend on your computer (which it sounds like you do), then you should spring for a new one.

(It's extremely unlikely dust on the fan blades was the cause of your issues)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.