Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kruso2

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
Love the 6+ but can see situations where the 6 would be more practically useful. If the 6 had the same battery life as the plus I'd probably have gone with that one instead.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I can't speak on the 6 but going from the 5 to the 6+ has been heaven sent. I look at the 5 now and wonder how did I read anything on there..ever.

To use the smaller screen is like trying to use a rotary dial phone now.

I get, "It looks so nice but it just seems so big." Then they keep looking at the screen and then they say, "I'm going to have to get one."

There is going to have to be some adjusting in how you function with your phone but, for me, it wasn't a daunting task because I was using two hands with my previous devices so it was a no-brainer for me to go with the plus.

coconilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2014
Guys, I made a switch as of yesterday...and I'm glad I did!
I absolutely LOVE the screen. Learned the lesson that I can't look at anything below 5".

To share a little story about how I got a 6+...

Last night after work, I checked seaturtle for local iphone 6+ (AT&T, 64GB, Gold) stock.

It said that my local mall in NJ had them, so I called their number to double check (It was specifically their number with NJ area code.)
The rep said that it's in stock so I should hurry.

BUT
When I got to the store, the apple employee tells me they have them but it's only for online reservations and he can't sell one to me even though they have reservation-free ones.

I was devastated, speechless.
I told him I even called the store to double check.
When he heard me saying that, he said he will give me a pass and sell one to me.

I think he was owning up to the rep's mistake, the fact that the rep didn't initially tell me that it was available only for reservations.

So after waiting for like 10 mins, I was able to purchase the phone! I purchased screen protector & case too and they installed them for me. Amazing!

I love Apple's customer service. That makes me go back to them.

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
I'm hearing all this stuff about the 6+ having inferior performance with crashes and lag.

I'm a little late so can someone please explain to me what is the cause of this and if it can/will be fixed via a future software update ??

stuffedapple

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2014
I went from a 6 to a 6 plus. I much prefer it, I have no idea why people are saying the performance isn't as good?

No doubt that's just size envy! ;)

ramnj

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2008
NJ
I went from the iPhone 5 to the 6 Plus and at the beginning felt it was too big. Was resetting my 5 today and noticed how small it is in comparison. The screen size it the big seller for me.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Only you can make the decision. Both phones are great and serve a need.
Do you want a larger phone with a better battery or do you want one that is more hold able.?

I went with the 6 plus, but I could have very easily opted for the 6 if it weren't for the fact that I felt thee wasn't enough differences between my old phone and the 6 to justify spending the money.

Had the 6 and decided to try the Plus but the only one I could get my hands on was a Sprint variant and wrong amount of storage. Bought it anyway to compare both for 14 days. Well it only took one day and the 6 was returned.

I had to return the Plus eventually because of the wrong carrier and storage. I did not lose sleep exactly waiting on the Plus variant I wanted but it was close. :)

boobie12

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Guys, I made a switch as of yesterday...and I'm glad I did!
I absolutely LOVE the screen. Learned the lesson that I can't look at anything below 5".

To share a little story about how I got a 6+...

Last night after work, I checked seaturtle for local iphone 6+ (AT&T, 64GB, Gold) stock.

It said that my local mall in NJ had them, so I called their number to double check (It was specifically their number with NJ area code.)
The rep said that it's in stock so I should hurry.

BUT
When I got to the store, the apple employee tells me they have them but it's only for online reservations and he can't sell one to me even though they have reservation-free ones.

I was devastated, speechless.
I told him I even called the store to double check.
When he heard me saying that, he said he will give me a pass and sell one to me.

I think he was owning up to the rep's mistake, the fact that the rep didn't initially tell me that it was available only for reservations.

So after waiting for like 10 mins, I was able to purchase the phone! I purchased screen protector & case too and they installed them for me. Amazing!

I love Apple's customer service. That makes me go back to them.

Happy I hear you love it!! I also switched yesterday from my 6 to a 6plus and couldn't be happier. I use it mostly for browsing and texting and the screen is just perfect.

boobie12

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Thinking of doing this but worried about how usable the 6+ is one handed.

For texting it's ok. Like I can text with one hand. For browsing the Internet, scrolling with one hand is fine but anything more requires 2. I feel it's worth the trade off. I just switched over.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
what pushed me over the edge was to buy a 6 plus case and live with it for a while. SG 6 plus asap!

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Are people bothered by these 6+ lag reports before swapping as just been reading the thread on here about this issue?

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Are people bothered by these 6+ lag reports before swapping as just been reading the thread on here about this issue?

As a 6+ user, there is occasional lag present which can be annoying but I would say it only happens 10% of the time or less. It's not like it's a consistently laggy experience but when I do notice it, it is a bit disheartening that it occurs on a device so "fresh."

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
The extra battery life is enough to want the 6+ over the 6. Trust me, you'll notice it.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Honestly, I notice no lag on my 6 Plus, however I have had it crash a few times. No biggy, I really think it's iOS 8 because iOS 7 was the same way on the 5s for quite a few months. Come to think of it, iOS 6 wasn't the greatest on the 5 when I first got it.

I was actually comparing my old 5s (which is now a family members) to my 6 Plus and thought "How in the world did I ever type on this with my thumbs?" I also really looked at both displays and the 6 Pluses display seemed more vivid (better contrast ratio; 1300:1 on 6 Plus, 800:1 on 5s) and just overall beautiful. The blacks are deeper, the colors pop more, just beautiful.

I also compared the pixel density and I noticed a difference. From a distance away (maybe an arm length away) you would never notice the resolution difference. However, having them close to my face I could see the pixels on the 5s where on the 6 Plus they were non-existent. It may not seem like much, but the extra 75 PPI really does make a difference. Switching back, I could see the pixels. The 6 Pluses display is certainly the best Apple has put into an iPhone.

Was getting the bigger phone an adjustment? Yes and I am still getting used to navigating the OS. Would I go to a 6 or back to a 5s? Not a chance in the world.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
Though I think the 6 takes fairly good photos in lowlight I do wonder if OIS would improve things noticeable so that's of interest to me on the plus?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.