Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Hi guys I'm just wondering, has the gamut issue on the mini 2 improved at all? Or is that just how it is? Did apple even bother to fix it on the 3?

Also for those who only own a mini 2, do you notice the gamut issue compared to your other devices? iPhone for example?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The limited color gamut is not an issue. It's by design. Apple used a cheaper panel to reach the lower selling price of the retina Mini (than the Air/Air2). Given that the mini 3 is just a mini 2 + Touch ID home button, I don't think the screen is any different than the mini 2.

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I have the Mini 2 and Air 2 and really the gamut issue on the Mini 2 is not a big deal. It is noticeable when compared to the Air 2 but images still look great to me on the Mini 2. I think it should have been fixed on the Mini 3 but its not that big a deal. The Mini 2 is still a great iPad because its size makes it perfect for traveling.

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague
The limited color gamut is not an issue. It's by design. Apple used a cheaper panel to reach the lower selling price of the retina Mini (than the Air/Air2). Given that the mini 3 is just a mini 2 + Touch ID home button, I don't think the screen is any different than the mini 2.

I read that Apple put in the lower gamut screen to maintain decent battery life. I don't think the screen is cheaper, in fact it's a higher res screen then the one the Air 1 and 2.

To answer OP's questions, no they didn't fix it. Not on the Mini 2 and not on the Mini 3. It's the same screen. And yes it's clearly visible (I have an ipad 3 and a Mini 2). That said, it's not too big of a deal. If you use it for photography-purposes or watching movies a lot, I'd personally go for one of the Airs. For anything else the rMini is fantastic.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Hi guys I'm just wondering, has the gamut issue on the mini 2 improved at all? Or is that just how it is? Did apple even bother to fix it on the 3?

Also for those who only own a mini 2, do you notice the gamut issue compared to your other devices? iPhone for example?

Owned the Mini 1 and 2 for the past two years. Now have Air 1 and iPhone 6. To answer your question directly: No, the Mini 3 display has not changed from the 2. It's the same inferior (ie in the low 60 range) color gamut. So yes, it's still an issue....at least for those interested in accurate and adequately saturated colors....you won't find this on the Mini's (1, 2 or 3). Yes, the difference in color gamut is very noticeable when compared to the Air's or IPhone's....no side by side comparison needed to see the difference....it's readily apparent when doing everything on the Mini (Web, photos, Movies, etc....).

I loved the Mini's.....hated the inferior color reproduction.

midwestfisherma

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
S.E. Mich
We have 2 - Mini 2's an Air 2 and an iPhone 5S in our home. The so called gamut issue is barely noticeable at best when comparing to the other devices that we own. To me it's a NON-ISSUE.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
It has been a complete non-issue for me in the past year owning an Air and Mini. I don't sit around comparing the color gamut. When using the iPad Mini, I never once thought the color reproduction was off or inferior.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
My original wasn't too bad, but it was recently replaced because of a Dock problem, and the new one is quite noticeable.

That said, it's only noticeable when it's next to my iPhone. The iPad Mini just seems dim.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
My biggest gripe with the Mini 2 has been the lack of sound coming from the speaker(s). I tend to prefer a yellower screen (like f.lux provides) and in a way the color gamut of the iPad Mini 2 seems to go well with that tweak.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It has been a complete non-issue for me in the past year owning an Air and Mini. I don't sit around comparing the color gamut. When using the iPad Mini, I never once thought the color reproduction was off or inferior.

It's not a deal breaker, but at the end of the color spectrum (i.e. purple) the problem becomes quite obvious. Just search for pics of lilac on google and you will find that the iPad mini retina renders the image to a bluish colour instead of purple.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
........but at the end of the color spectrum (i.e. purple) the problem becomes quite obvious. Just search for pics of lilac on google and you will find that the iPad mini retina renders the image to a bluish colour instead of purple.

Here is a good example: A photo I took of purple flowers. The purple is displayed correctly on the iPad Air (left), but displayed as Blue on the Mini 1 & 2 (on the right).

The difference between the Air and Mini with respect to color reproduction is night and day: The colors of the Mini are washed out, muted and incorrect. The Professional reviews of the Mini's confirm what is clearly evident to anyone just viewing a simple photo; the display on the Mini is vastly inferior with respect to color reproduction to just about every other "premium" tablet. Now some users of the Mini may not care or for whatever reason may not perceive the difference, but there is no disputing the fact that the display on the Mini's is inferior with respect to color.

Not trying to bash the Mini. I've owned both the 1&2 and used/enjoyed them both for the past 2 years. However, the Mini's do have their shortcomings....and color one of the main ones.. ..just trying to deal with facts.

picture.php

Last edited:

Wbutchart

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013

It's a non issue for me. Have had the mini 2 for 8 months and have never noticed the colour issue.

Maybe if compared side by side but why would we do that in day to day life? We should have less time on our hands than that really.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks DSTOFEL, you just made my mind. Will be staying away from mini.

This is very unlike apple to have such a compromise on one of their products. Disappointing.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

This is very unlike apple to have such a compromise on one of their products. Disappointing.

No it's not. They've always done this; iPod touch has always had inferior features when compared to the iPhone. First gen had no volume buttons, 4th gen had retina but wasn't IPS, etc.

iPhone being the flagship of their handheld as the iPad Air is oF their tablet line.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

It really depends on what you do. My computers all have calibrated displays because I need that for photo editing. My iPad Air is more or less capable of properly editing photos in a pinch, and is big enough to make that more or less practical. My Mini 2 isn't used for things that need critical color accuracy, and for most daily use the display is absolutely fine - and the size is a plus. It all depends on what you want the iPad for.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area

For me it is not an issue. I never ever think about it even, except for posts like this. I have an iPhone 6, an iPad Air 2 and a Retina mini 2
Only see it if I compare pix side by side and I don't ever do that. There is no reason to do that.
To me it is deffinately not an issue. It just isn't. Period.
I use the mini most of the three. It is a remarkable device.
This is my opinion but many others feel the same way. many others scream that it is unusable. Hogwash.
:)

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
many others scream that it is unusable. Hogwash.
:)

When i get back to my retina mini after using air 2's in the stores i dont really miss the better color reproduction on the air that much. Even when comparing them side by side it is not like there is a night and day difference at least to my eyes. Would have still been nice if the mini had the same screen mind you.

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
I had the opportunity to purchase the mini 3 at a relatively great price - I definitely notice the color difference between the Air and the Mini. At first I couldn't stand it, but I grew to adapt the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.