Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'm trying to help a professor at school troubleshoot a DA G4 that he's trying to get running to operate an instrument computer.

As background info, it's a single 533. It has 1gb of RAM in two 512 sticks-one is the brand that shipped with Apples in this time period(I forget what it is) and the other has an OWC sticker on it. The video card is a Radeon 9000.

In any case, the computer will boot to an OS 9.2.2 desktop. Once booted, however, it will lock up. The cursor will move, but nothing else works-it doesn't respond to mouse clicks or keyboard input.

Booting without extensions clears this problem.

It also boots perfectly into OS X(I'm not sure what version, but I think 10.4) with none of the above issues.

I formatted a hard drive and did a clean OS 9.2.2 install in my own Digital Audio. Booting off of this hard drive causes the same symptoms as above.

I'l also add that we have done a PRAM and PMU reset at several points along the way, none of which cleared the problem.

Any idea of what could be going on here?

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Update the Radeon driver for your card. This caught me out, too. OS 9.2.2 does not support the 9000 natively.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
It would not let me install it with extensions off. I had to put in a 7500 first and then swap cards after updating.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Rather than swapping parts around at school, I realized that I had everything at home to replicate the set-up and experiment.

I did another clean 9.2.2 install on a fresh HDD in my DA and then installed the Radeon 9000 drivers(with the Rage 128 installed). I then borrowed a Radeon 9000 from one of my MDDs and rebooted the DA with the 9000 installed.

Everything worked perfectly.

I'm going to the HDD in tomorrow and trade it out for the one I brought him last week, and hopefully everything will work.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Glad to see it worked for you. This foxed me until I remembered Google and found the solution to the problem. Particularly as I had a Quicksilver with a post retail version of 9.2.2. as base. The Radeon card must have come out even after that.

The final update for Radeon 9xxxx cards for OS9 was August 2005, I think. Not too easy to track that update down but a few sites have it still.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Just wanted to report that the OS 9 install with the Radeon 9000 drivers worked perfectly on the professor's computer.

I think that he can now go ahead with switching his home-built NMR over to the DA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.