Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I have been regularly using pages on both my 4, 5 and my iPad 2 and iPad mini with retina display. I have now got a new iphone 6 plus and the phone works fine and all the apps work fine. But the pages app lags a lot. There is a long delay between typing on the keyboard and the words displaying on the screen. Even simple functions lag and the app has become unusable. I have not found this problem in any other app including numbers. I have only used up 30gb of my 64GB phone. I tried closing the app and reopening and also shutting down all other apps. I don't think this is a RAM problem as it has worked fine on all my other i-devices. Anyone else notice this problem?

They just updated Pages yesterday. Can you try it and let us know if it's resolved?

GrecoISU

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2011
I haven't noticed anything other than the spotlight lag when rotating to landscape.

My biggest gripe after a few days of ownership is Safari reloads. No real lag here.

DiggityBiggity

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2014
New York Metro
I agree as well. But the microstutters are worse than they were with the 5S. It's a small step backward in that department.

To be clear, my iPad AIR microstutters from time to time as well. It's VERY noticeable in the ETSY app, but doesn't happen at all in others. Honestly, I think it's more a software issue than anything. An issue I'm very very barely bothered by and something I would have never noticed had I not joined this board.

----------

My biggest gripe after a few days of ownership is Safari reloads.

My Chrome app doesn't reload unless I have 20+ tabs open. Just an observation.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
Regarding the spotlight lag, I found a strange flickering shadow when in landscape. If anyone wants to try: first go into spotlight in portrait, the rotate the screen. You may see a shadow underneath the search bar flicker in and out when you tilt the device, as if it's tied to parallax.

I'm wondering if anyone else has this happen. It helps if you have a lighter colored wallpaper.

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Regarding the spotlight lag, I found a strange flickering shadow when in landscape. If anyone wants to try: first go into spotlight in portrait, the rotate the screen. You may see a shadow underneath the search bar flicker in and out when you tilt the device, as if it's tied to parallax.

I'm wondering if anyone else has this happen. It helps if you have a lighter colored wallpaper.

I just switched from a 6 to a 6 Plus. There is most definitely lag on rotation, and sometimes when control center is swiped up. OpenGL will cache animations, so the rotation lag is worse the first time it's rotated, and slightly better afterwards (until that cache gets flushed). Reminds me of the early MacBook Pro Retina days. May or may not get fixed, who knows. Still an amazing phone.

The flicker you're seeing is a bug. Your wallpaper is set to perspective zoom. So when you bring up spotlight and rotate, the wallpaper is first zoomed in and then as you move your phone, it's attempting to follow your movements. Since it's zoomed in so much, the movement is more pronounced, and resembles a 'flicker.' Simple fix is to have iOS turn perspective zoom off when spotlight is up.

PSB136

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2014
I haven't noticed anything other than the spotlight lag when rotating to landscape.
iOS 8.1.1 final has fixed that problem on both my iPhone 6 Pluses. And no, it wasn't a placebo effect: I compared one phone with 8.1 against 8.1.1, with rotations. :)

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
Mine lag quite a bit especially when I am switching back to the previous web page. All I will get is blank white page. Then when I touch the screen ever so lightly, the page will reappear. Is this a concern? Do I need to take it back and get a replacement? Thanks.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Mine lag quite a bit especially when I am switching back to the previous web page. All I will get is blank white page. Then when I touch the screen ever so lightly, the page will reappear. Is this a concern? Do I need to take it back and get a replacement? Thanks.

I've noticed this as well...I think it is a Safari bug. There is also a bug where I open Safari and the first page it immediately shows is one from way further back in the history and then it will flash to the most current one...I was hoping they would have fixed this in iOS 8.1.1 but they didn't :mad:

Essa86

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
I notice lag when I move between tabs in safari. I also always have lag with the keyboard. It takes couple of seconds for the keyboard to appear when I want to use it in some website. For example macrumors.
Another lag I have been noticing to is when I move from horizontal mode to vertical mode.

Hpibmx10

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2014
That's right guy I'm having same problem
I was just bout to post bout this bug,, hope they will fix it soon :(

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Let's be honest. The 6+ lags.

I notice lag in most apps when rendering content, and I notice glitches where the app downscales, even in Apples own safari.

One minute the content will be fine, the next it glitches and downsizes.

Is this an iOS problem or is it hardware?

I didn't spend $1200 on an unlocked phone to have considerably more lag than I ever did on the year old 5S.

Pissing me off....

Or do I have a faulty unit with a faulty graphics chip?

Everything else about the phone is awesome. I just didn't expect this to ever be a problem. Why downscale if it's going to cause noticeable lag? Just make the developers write code for the new Resolution.

Let's be honest u have a problem that some people do or do not have.

DiggityBiggity

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2014
New York Metro

My biggest gripe after a few days of ownership is Safari reloads. No real lag here.

Only lag I see is this Spotlight lag when rotating in standard as well. This doesn't bother me, because I use the phone in "zoomed" mode. I will say however, for a brand new phone, this is somewhat disheartening. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come in the future of the Plus.

super chimp

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2008
UK
I've noticed this as well...I think it is a Safari bug. There is also a bug where I open Safari and the first page it immediately shows is one from way further back in the history and then it will flash to the most current one...I was hoping they would have fixed this in iOS 8.1.1 but they didn't :mad:

I have that bug on my Air but not my 6 when it shows an old page. It also does the annoying Safari tab reloads. I'm afraid to say iOS 8 didn't fix these. If the 6+ has this as well then that's not good.

yogeewan

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
On the 6 plus after a month with the 6.. Returned it a week back to experiment with the "phablet".. There is no noticeable lag which bothers me at all. The only lag I see is from a restart and the first logins with password before Touch ID. Post that it's as fast or slow as the 6.

ApfelSchaf

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2014
Apple
Let's be honest. The 6+ lags.

I notice lag in most apps when rendering content, and I notice glitches where the app downscales, even in Apples own safari.

One minute the content will be fine, the next it glitches and downsizes.

Is this an iOS problem or is it hardware?

I didn't spend $1200 on an unlocked phone to have considerably more lag than I ever did on the year old 5S.

Pissing me off....

Or do I have a faulty unit with a faulty graphics chip?

Everything else about the phone is awesome. I just didn't expect this to ever be a problem. Why downscale if it's going to cause noticeable lag? Just make the developers write code for the new Resolution.

You are using it wrong.
Apple products don't lag.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
I can't speak about the iPhone 6 but the 6 plus suffers lag in different areas. Not only lags, but wonky stuff happens with it as well. I have to say iOS7 and 8 are the most buggiest softwares apple has ever put out. iOS7 was worst with frequent crashes all over the place. iOS8 has occasional crashes but it definitely suffers from lag and bugs.

Some body in these forums stated something that I totally agree with. I don't remember word for word...but he said "With android coming out with lots of features customers like, iOS is playing catch up and by them adding certain features, their disturbing the optimization that they are known for"

Clearly, 2gigs of ram should of been put in this phone. However, apple knows they will push units no matter what. So no rush to put those 2gigs in. They will most likely bump that up in the 6S and that to will push units lol. I ordered a Nexus 6 to test out L. Lets see how that goes:cool:

DiggityBiggity

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2014
New York Metro
I can't speak about the iPhone 6 but the 6 plus suffers lag in different areas. Not only lags, but wonky stuff happens with it as well. I have to say iOS7 and 8 are the most buggiest softwares apple has ever put out. iOS7 was worst with frequent crashes all over the place. iOS8 has occasional crashes but it definitely suffers from lag and bugs.

Some body in these forums stated something that I totally agree with. I don't remember word for word...but he said "With android coming out with lots of features customers like, iOS is playing catch up and by them adding certain features, their disturbing the optimization that they are known for"

Clearly, 2gigs of ram should of been put in this phone. However, apple knows they will push units no matter what. So no rush to put those 2gigs in. They will most likely bump that up in the 6S and that to will push units lol. I ordered a Nexus 6 to test out L. Lets see how that goes:cool:

Yeah. I had a 4S so I "had" to upgrade... Now somewhat regretting going big. The 6 was probably the smarter choice. Meh, I'll live.

Buringcoals

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
I am very sensitive to lag. The 64gb iPhone 6 + that I have has no lag. My 5s had lag in spotlight and other areas where my 6+ does not.

Not sure, but it might be related to the non 64gb models. I am glad my 6 + has fixed my spotlight lag, it also fixed my imessage and email lag. Just seems much faster then my 5s.

DiggityBiggity

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2014
New York Metro
I am very sensitive to lag. The 64gb iPhone 6 + that I have has no lag. My 5s had lag in spotlight and other areas where my 6+ does not.

Not sure, but it might be related to the non 64gb models. I am glad my 6 + has fixed my spotlight lag, it also fixed my imessage and email lag. Just seems much faster then my 5s.

Are you zoomed or standard?

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011

And wads your ios version?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

Wow. My experience is completely the opposite. I've never noticed lag on my 5s. I have enough on my 64gb 6 plus to notice it quite easily.

Bought it with 8.0. Neither 8.1 nor 8.1.1 changed a thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.