Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Amount of RAM is less important since Apple optimizes the OS so much. Certainly it's not unimportant (or the iPad Air 2 would also have 1GB and not 2), but nonetheless apps still function as well if not better than their Android counterparts.

Photos. Automatic iPhoto syncing, as you mentioned, is killer.

Why does Safari have to constantly reload tabs if it's so "optimised"? Clearly this is a ram limitation.

Google is just as good in backing photos to the cloud.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I personally dislike the S5. The water proof flap is annoying, the screen heats up the device too much, battery life sucks on standby, and I had to replace my S5 literally 10 times before I got a refund. Easier to buy an iPhone 6 over it.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
I personally dislike the S5. The water proof flap is annoying, the screen heats up the device too much, battery life sucks on standby, and I had to replace my S5 literally 10 times before I got a refund. Easier to buy an iPhone 6 over it.

Your not alone.
I felt the same way, when I demoed the s5 back at the launch event in Barcelona.

The Galaxy s5 is such an epic failure that Samsung is going to start from scratch when designing the s6. Something tells me it's going to look a lot like the iPhone 6/6 ;).

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
Is smart stay on? If on and you keep looking at seen it won't turn off

No, I have that off, and I wasn't looking at the screen anyway. A reboot fixed the problem -- for now. But the idea it may occur again is troublesome. I was periodically dogged by this exact problem back with LG Lucid. Not only is it annoying, but as you can imagine, it ain't great for the battery either.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Why does Safari have to constantly reload tabs if it's so "optimised"? Clearly this is a ram limitation.

Google is just as good in backing photos to the cloud.

I've had Chrome on my Nexus 5 reload background tabs, too, when brought to the front. Yes, Safari does it more. But Chrome on iOS is better in this regard, making me think Apple is limiting the tabs on Safari on purpose.

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
I've had Chrome on my Nexus 5 reload background tabs, too, when brought to the front. Yes, Safari does it more. But Chrome on iOS is better in this regard, making me think Apple is limiting the tabs on Safari on purpose.

I don't recall ever seeing this on my Moto X but get it in chrome and Safari on my iPad mini

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

Root cause is DRAM starvation that's why iPad Air 2 finally includes 2GB DRAM. Besides the front end that looks different with Chrome it uses the same Javascript engine as Safari so there's no difference.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
There is one more reason for choosing Android - adult apps.

You can play 3D sex game (like Yareel) on Android only (not on iPhone), because you can install any apps not only via official store. There is even an adult app store for Android - Mikandi - that reports more than 4 mln users.

You sold me buddy

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
6. If you didn't lock with pin on lock screen just swipe down and tap the notification.

Just can't lick this movement yet! I stab it, swipe at, spit at it, whatever, and every now and then the pop-up does open from the lock screen and take me into messaging.

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Just to say you do not need to use Google to backup your photos, I use one drive and it has the option to back your photos up instead.
If your into your sports I would check for a durable phone, I'm not sure how durable the S5 is? The iPhone 6 survives drop tests alright from what I've seen, or you could just get a new battery for your current iPhone. Other option is the Sony Xperia Z3 as its waterproof and duatproof and has a good camera.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
The "ok google" stuff on Android is fantastic. Can work use it on an iphone and have it work just as well? I've never used Siri, but from what I've seen of it, it's not as impressive.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The "ok google" stuff on Android is fantastic. Can work use it on an iphone and have it work just as well? I've never used Siri, but from what I've seen of it, it's not as impressive.
To be honest I find the two much of a muchness.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
To be honest I find the two much of a muchness.

I have no idea what this means.

But I reiterate, coming from an iphone 4 with nothing at all, "ok google" is amazing! I can bark instructions at it and it provides responses instantly and accurately. What a huge time saver it is.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
There's lots of android phones, so choose wisely.

I opted for the S5 which replaced my 5S. I got an iPhone 6 but ultimately returned it and stuck with my S5.

I'd debating an iPhone 6+ but there's no real urgency since I'm content with my S5

Just depends on what you are looking for at this point. For me, iOS 8 features are not supported well enough to make it worth it at this time. Maybe in another few months.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
There's lots of android phones, so choose wisely.

I opted for the S5 which replaced my 5S. I got an iPhone 6 but ultimately returned it and stuck with my S5.

I'd debating an iPhone 6+ but there's no real urgency since I'm content with my S5

Just depends on what you are looking for at this point. For me, iOS 8 features are not supported well enough to make it worth it at this time. Maybe in another few months.

But didn't you have horrible experiences with the S4? So why would you throw your lot in with S5?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

I always found Siri to be superior to Google Now for the functions you would want on a phone, it's been a while since I've used siri though. I fluctuate between Google now and Svoice and kind of hate them both and miss Sri, probably one of the only things I miss about iOS. I'm hoping that MS releases Cortana for Android as rumored.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
But didn't you have horrible experiences with the S4? So why would you throw your lot in with S5?

Why not? With 14 days to figure it out, it's no big deal to "throw your lot in", and have a charge of heart if necessary.

That was certainly the case with the iPhone 6.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I have no idea what this means.

But I reiterate, coming from an iphone 4 with nothing at all, "ok google" is amazing! I can bark instructions at it and it provides responses instantly and accurately. What a huge time saver it is.
On my Note 4 and Nexus 6 you don't have to touch the phone at all. "Ok Google" is always listening.........

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
My iPhone 4S is dying (battery), and my 3 year contract is nearly up anyway.

Sorry to hear. My 4s battery and in fact even my old 3G and 3Gs are still kicking just fine. HOwever, the upside to a number of Android phones is you do have the ability to replace the battery yourself.

I own a Macbook Pro. I'm considering switching to Samsung or another brand of Android phone. In Canada, the iPhone 6, 64GB, costs $375 with a 2 year contract.

I have a Note 3 but am not Samsung Biased. I think the Nexus and Sony line up of options are great too. Can't comment on the Macbook part as I don't own an Apple PC.

The Samsung S5 costs only $200 + extra to upgrade the SD memory card. The Samsung is water resistant and apparently has good battery life. This means a lot because I'm a snowboarder, and sometimes I ride in the backcountry. A working phone could save my life.

Nice phone and should serve you well.

I don't use Mac mail or the Mac calendar. I've used Gmail for years now, and sometimes use the Google Calendar.

You'll love the native integration of Google and Android on the S5 or other Android Phones.
I'm wondering what cross-functionality I'll lose if I go to Android. I do use the Notes and Reminders apps a little bit. They recently started popping up on my laptop. I guess that's cool. Maybe I'll start using that more.

You have plenty of integrated Notes and reminder apps out there. Do you use Microsoft Outlook? I tend to keep my to-do list / tasks that aren't associated with a date or time separate. Not sure what your workflow is like but I can elaborate more on what works for me if you're interested.

The only other iCloud app that I hesitate to give up is the new iCloud Photos app, now in Beta. It forms a nice triangle with my iPhone photos and laptop photos.

Androids have a number of great cloud integrations for phones. You can easily select to share or keep some private.
With Samsung, I'd have to use Google+ for my mobile photos backup. But that wouldn't tie into my computer's iPhoto.

You don't have to use Google+ but it does work great. Can't comment on tying into iPhoto as again, I don't use it.

And I'm not at my computer a whole lot. But it is also nice replying to text messages there in messages, rather than on my phone. So I guess I'd lose that as well.

Nope, again, there are options. I use Airdroid at the office, so it's running in the background and I tend to reply to all my text messages via that when I'm at my desktop.

The one thing you'll love with Android is the ability to do just about anything on your terms. You can set up the intelligence and behavior of the phone your way and that to me is priceless.

----------

I always found Siri to be superior to Google Now for the functions you would want on a phone, it's been a while since I've used siri though. I fluctuate between Google now and Svoice and kind of hate them both and miss Sri, probably one of the only things I miss about iOS. I'm hoping that MS releases Cortana for Android as rumored.

What are some of the Siri things you miss? Also, would love to see Cortana come to Android. Mainly because I think she's got the sexier voice :D

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yeah, just turned it on to try it.

B
Nice....so while an IOS device is charging....you can say "Hey Siri" and it will respond? You don't have to touch the device? I wonder who they copied that from?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.