Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killy32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2014
After hauling out my old 15in 2006 MacBook pro I decided to go and install tiger again but the disks were too scratched so I went and got a snow leopard DMG file and used transmac to put it on a usb and it booted no problem but half way thru installation I got the error could not copy necessary support files so I tried other different DMG files of snow leopard and none booted and one of them gave me the circle with a line going thru it on boot. Tired of trying I went and got a Tiger DMG file but that wouldnt boot after putting it on with transmac so I said ******* it and got windows 7 64bit and put it on my bootable usb drive but the problem is with that when I hold down the option key its not appearing so I cant boot off it, How do I go about fixing this? I need some type of OS on my macbook and no I dont have any access to a macbook. and telling me to go out and buy the disks will not solve my problem. Where I live there are no apple stores and I will not wait for them to be shipped and no im not spending 100+ dollars on a windows 7 disk. Thats bull all together. Can someone please help. :(

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
After hauling out my old 15in 2006 MacBook pro I decided to go and install tiger again but the disks were too scratched so I went and got a snow leopard DMG file and used transmac to put it on a usb and it booted no problem but half way thru installation I got the error could not copy necessary support files so I tried other different DMG files of snow leopard and none booted and one of them gave me the circle with a line going thru it on boot. Tired of trying I went and got a Tiger DMG file but that wouldnt boot after putting it on with transmac so I said ******* it and got windows 7 64bit and put it on my bootable usb drive but the problem is with that when I hold down the option key its not appearing so I cant boot off it, How do I go about fixing this? I need some type of OS on my macbook and no I dont have any access to a macbook. and telling me to go out and buy the disks will not solve my problem. Where I live there are no apple stores and I will not wait for them to be shipped and no im not spending 100+ dollars on a windows 7 disk. Thats bull all together. Can someone please help. :(
Windows 7 will not boot from USB on any Mac that came with an optical drive.

Get legitimate copies for your OS and it should install correctly.

FlamingFoxx

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2014
If you absolutely can't get hold of a windows installation disk then this is your only option:
http://huguesval.com/blog/2012/02/installing-windows-7-on-a-mac-without-superdrive-with-virtualbox/

As snaky69 says, you can't boot windows 7, or its installer, from a usb on a mac with an optical drive. It doesn't matter how much you mess around with settings, they just aren't capable of it.

It's not an easy guide to follow and it is the only one that I have ever found that actually details how to install Windows without a disk on a mac with an optical drive. Unfortunately it has slight errors/steps missing and it can be a bit hit and miss. But if you really really want to install Windows without a disk... Good luck! It can be done, I had to do it myself (and I used that guide).

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
According to Mactracker that machine can take up to OS X 10.7 Lion. If you can get access to a Lion Install file you can make a bootable USB install disk for Lion and install it.

killy32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2014
According to Mactracker that machine can take up to OS X 10.7 Lion. If you can get access to a Lion Install file you can make a bootable USB install disk for Lion and install it.

I was never able to install Lion on it even though when I bought it used it had lion on it. It just told me it wasnt supported. Werid right.
Anyways found out no matter how much disks I tried. Yes even a legitimate copy on snow leopard it keeps giving me the error "Support files could not be copied" I cant see it being my HDD cause it wrote all zeros on erase no problem.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
I was never able to install Lion on it even though when I bought it used it had lion on it. It just told me it wasnt supported. Werid right.
Anyways found out no matter how much disks I tried. Yes even a legitimate copy on snow leopard it keeps giving me the error "Support files could not be copied" I cant see it being my HDD cause it wrote all zeros on erase no problem.

Are you using real Snow Leopard retail disks or a burned disk from a diskimage?

SkimMilk168

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2014
Singapore
not sure of your exact model. But if it's a 2006 mbp, I'd suggest to look at changing the pram battery.

I encountered a similar problem before on windows machines. OS installation always fails at a certain point. End up it wasn't disc / hdd problems, but a weak cmos battery! Changing that made everything work right again. Hope this helps you in a way! :)

killy32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2014
Are you using real Snow Leopard retail disks or a burned disk from a diskimage?

I used transmac and a usb stick and when that never worked I restored a partition with the DMG file on the usb stick like I always used to do and it worked but not this time theres something wrong and I cant see it being two disks
I also tried a burned disk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.