Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Okay, so there is no true "silence" mode if every time I accidentally hit the dictation button on the keyboard I get those annoying tones. Now, they wouldn't be so annoying if I wasn't at work. My manager doesn't really mind if I text between calls, as long as it isn't distracting, but it raises a lot of attention when I keep accidentally hitting it.

Anyone know of a tweak to get rid of those tones? I've never heard of one and have tried searching a bit. Any help is much appreciated, thank you!

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Okay, so there is no true "silence" mode if every time I accidentally hit the dictation button on the keyboard I get those annoying tones. Now, they wouldn't be so annoying if I wasn't at work. My manager doesn't really mind if I text between calls, as long as it isn't distracting, but it raises a lot of attention when I keep accidentally hitting it.

Anyone know of a tweak to get rid of those tones? I've never heard of one and have tried searching a bit. Any help is much appreciated, thank you!

you could replace the sounds with blank files the system sounds are in

/System/Library/Audio/UISounds

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not really a tweak but in case it might be useful if you start Siri and then lower the volume to basically the lowest level that should apply to the sound the dictation makes as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.