Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beatledud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2006
So I've moved to the UK some time ago from US. I have an Apple TV and a Time Capsule and an EE (UK ISP) modem. What I want to do is integrate a VPN (maybe using my HMA account) into the setup, but at the modem level since TimeCapsule can't support it.

beatledud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2006
I should add: I want to keep my TC because its a more stable autoconnect drive to back up all my computers remotely (than an airdisk on a different router). I also have the drive partitioned and have my iTunes Music/Movie/TV library hosted on it (no room on my SSD MBP). And with that said, when Bonjour is working, I can just open my laptop anywhere in the world and my TC drive loads automagically and my iTunes finds all of my media (well before EE).

Now EE's modem/router doesn't allow for bridge mode, so Bonjour has been broken since. I would rather replace it with a modem where I can turn a VPN service on or off. I assume the VPN service may break the VPN (and slow my internet connection for times where I don't need to access regional content) so some ability to control it would be nice.

vc2020

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2014
Use a DNS instead of a VPN. Unotelly and unblock-us are good options. Use it straight from your apple tv or across your entire network through your TC.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Use a DNS instead of a VPN.
AFAIK, DNS is just a simplified means to set up a VPN. You can't spoof your geolocation via a DNS service which is a name resolution service.
However, those providers will let your aTV search the provider's DNS server to resolve the service name (like netflix.com) and redirect it to their VPN tunnel instead of Netflix's streaming server.

beatledud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2006
vc2020, you were right! I used Unblock-Us to test it out. They have a great 7 day trial so it allowed me to see if it really worked or not. It was pretty simple, just adjusted the DNS setting on my AppleTV per their instructions and now all my apps work and think they are in the US (including Netflix and Hulu Plus).

And I think most importantly since its not a VPN there doesn't appear to be any speed degradation. And since I can input the DNS settings directly into my Apple TV I can save my computers and other devices from being diverted, which is also nice.

Just researching now which the best SmartDNS service is as far as price and features.

vc2020

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2014
vc2020, you were right! I used Unblock-Us to test it out. They have a great 7 day trial so it allowed me to see if it really worked or not. It was pretty simple, just adjusted the DNS setting on my AppleTV per their instructions and now all my apps work and think they are in the US (including Netflix and Hulu Plus).

And I think most importantly since its not a VPN there doesn't appear to be any speed degradation. And since I can input the DNS settings directly into my Apple TV I can save my computers and other devices from being diverted, which is also nice.

Just researching now which the best SmartDNS service is as far as price and features.

unotelly had a coupon that expired in October so I went with them but unblock is pretty easy to run off free trials for awhile.

beatledud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2006
I like unblock-us. Now I'm just seeing what's my best options are with the other providers. I'd like a solution where I can also use the service on my MBP and iPhones with the option to easily and quickly turn off the DNS setting rather than significantly adjusting the overall DNS in the settings feature.

vc2020

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2014
I like unblock-us. Now I'm just seeing what's my best options are with the other providers. I'd like a solution where I can also use the service on my MBP and iPhones with the option to easily and quickly turn off the DNS setting rather than significantly adjusting the overall DNS in the settings feature.

You can enter the DNS on different devices as long as you're on the same IP. I more recently put the DNS on my router but have a VPN service included with it so I can switch it to US & UK whenever I'm at work or anywhere else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.