Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larksmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
I've been doing some video editing on my Macbook Pro recently. I've imported footage from an SD card to both iPhoto and iMovie, plus exported some into my documents.

My hard drive is filling up, so I decided to delete all old footage and start using an external drive. I've deleted all the video footage from iPhoto, deleted the events in iMovie, deleted all the loose files and emptied the trash. However, in About This Mac > Storage, I'm still seeing about 50 GB of "Movies" on my drive. I don't have any video except the footage I've imported. Where is it hiding, and how do I free up that space?

Thank you.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I've been doing some video editing on my Macbook Pro recently. I've imported footage from an SD card to both iPhoto and iMovie, plus exported some into my documents.

My hard drive is filling up, so I decided to delete all old footage and start using an external drive. I've deleted all the video footage from iPhoto, deleted the events in iMovie, deleted all the loose files and emptied the trash. However, in About This Mac > Storage, I'm still seeing about 50 GB of "Movies" on my drive. I don't have any video except the footage I've imported. Where is it hiding, and how do I free up that space?

Thank you.
That info may be outdated, as it is read off of the spotlight index.

Did your free space increase?

larksmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
That info may be outdated, as it is read off of the spotlight index.

Did your free space increase?

It did not. And I'm getting "start up disk almost full" notifications.

EDIT: Fixed. Just deleting the videos from iPhoto wasn't enough - I had to "Empty iPhoto Trash" from the main menu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.