Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psychedelia

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2009

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Here are some pics. I have to be honest with ya, I think the KAVAJ is going back. It's nice, smells good, well constructed, etc... but it just isn't as foolproof from a stability standpoint, not does it have as many positioning options as the Devicewear unit. And as you can see from the side by side pic, there is no difference in thickness. Very nice unit, and I guess the black is okay. Devicewear is supposed to be shipping all colors, as of today, so check 'em out! Good luck!

http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/jmdaniel/library/Mobile%20Uploads/Devicewear%20Ridge

Agreed. However, the Hamburg version is what you want. Been using it on my iPad Air the past year and love it. The Berlin isn't very sturdy comparatively, but the Hamburg is perfect.

jmdaniel

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
Agreed. However, the Hamburg version is what you want. Been using it on my iPad Air the past year and love it. The Berlin isn't very sturdy comparatively, but the Hamburg is perfect.

I sent the Berlin back, and am using the black Devicewear they sent me by mistake. It works great!

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
I sent the Berlin back, and am using the black Devicewear they sent me by mistake. It works great!

Hard to beat free, but "vegan leather' is just a hippie term for fake leather, usually plastic. I have a hard time supporting someone who is just using millennial marketing to sell a $45 plastic case. Maybe I'm not appreciating it's finer points . . .

Whereas the KavaJ cases are a beautiful real leather. But pricey.

reeveah

Suspended
Oct 23, 2008
Looking at incipio tuxen from Amazon but it's out of stock. :(

MCPGlpG.jpg

BigMacAttack1

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Right now through Dec 1, Case Crown has 30% off everything on their site with free shipping and returns. Promo code GIFTEARLY30. I just ordered the Omni for my Air 2 for $17.50 total (normally $25). It comes highly rated - looking forward to seeing how it fits and protects my iPad! Bonus-for every case ordered, you get an entry into winning a new iPad (drawing after every 100 orders). Anyways, happy shopping!

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Got the Devicewear Ridge and it's actually pretty great. I regret buying my smart cover.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
I've read somewhere that the Kavaj needs to be used in order to get the stand function to work probably due to the leather stiffness when being new. The Devicewear isn't nearly as elegant as the Kavaj, but if you really need those viewing angles in the stand position then I guess you're better of with the Devicewear

Keep in mind that the comparable Kavaj cover is the Hamburg. It has the same multi angle positions as the devicewear. I have been using it on my iPad air for the past year and loved it. I tried the Berlin version and found the same issues with it you all have noted.

Looks like the hamburg version will be released on December 11

http://www.amazon.com/KAVAJ-leather...atcorr&keywords=ipad+air+2+case+kavaj+hamburg

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Not all ipad smart cases and covers are leather either. So? Dont really see your point. It is $9 for pete's sake. Im not expecting real leather at that price. Duh.

No need to get so up tight about it. Maybe you should chill out and relax a bit. I was merely pointing out its not made of leather. Besides my main issue is with the retailer advertising it as PU leather which is obviously misleading and wrong and something you see a lot of online retailers doing. At the end of the day if it's not made of leather it's not the same as the Apple leather case.

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
It actually looks like an improved design over the Apple SmartCase since it does not seem to have the annoying overhanging extra material by the hinge and does not have a lip.

C-Dub

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Khomo Mod+ with ZeroChroma Solo Stand

Another vote for the Khomo case. Also did the mod today by following the Khomo thread (Click Here) and cut off the Khomo smart cover. I went further and did a mod+ by adding a ZeroChroma Solo Stand to this case, which allows the iPad to stand in 11 angles, landscape or portrait, also much more stable than the smart cover fold up style stand mechanism. I'm a big fan of ZeroChroma cases, especially their Vario SC case that has this stand built in with Smart Cover opening. They currently don't have a case for the iPad Air 2, but will be releasing their Folio-Slide for the iPad Air 2 early next year. In the meantime, this Khomo Mod+ with ZeroChroma solo stand will get me through then.

Note: I've attached a few pics of this mod+, with my yellow Apple Air 1 Smart Cover, both attached and detached.

FYI, the solo stand can be found here:
http://www.amazon.com/ZeroChroma-Ca...id=1417323607&sr=8-1&keywords=zerochroma+solo

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 111
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 118
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 132
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 102
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:

pizzapappa

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
I'm looking to buy a bookbook from twelve south to use with my air 2.The thing is that I would like to only use it while carrying it around. Is it possible to fit an ipad+Smart Cover in there without attaching it to the leather pouch?

xXxDieselxXx

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
Any word on the Tech21 case?

I have E-Mailed them several times and I always get pretty much a canned/autogenerated answer pretty much indicating nothing available in the near future.

I can't believe they have nothing for the A2 :(

They had the iPhone 6 cases ready from the get go.

tacopox

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2014
Is there currently a back shell only smart cover compatible case? I don't need the smart cover all the time and I can't find any back shells without the cover.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I saw this and didnt get it because i saw the metal looking hinges. How is it in person?

To be honest I didn't even know the official smart cover does not have the metal hinges anymore til you mentioned it. The one on my old ipad 3 had them so I am pretty much used to it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.