Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I do :D

oPk5PcR.jpg

From left to right:
-iPad 3 on 6.1 (use a variety of tweaks, mostly Barrel, speed up animations, disable update as 6.1 runs great on it)
-iPad mini 1 on 7.1.1 (just to disable update and ensure performance and speed up animations. might put F.lux on it again for my dad but he doesn't seem to be missing it since its been stock post iOS 6)
-iPhone 6 for tetherme, cylinder, speed up animations
-6+ for my own uses :D
-rMini on 8.1 for my own uses too :D Kinda wished I stayed on 7.1.2 truth be told but handoff is nice between pad and phone.

not pictured: another iPhone 6 for another family member that i took the photo with to speed up animations and tetherme as well

The 6 and rMini aren't actually washed out like that, its just over exposed in the shot fwiw

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I could see that but I just install the basics of what they want without them possessing technical skills or curiosity that I have with tweaks (i.e. "I want my hotspot back" -- "ok, done") so there is no troubleshooting.

Not being able to accidentally update iPad 3, iPad mini will actually mitigate headaches down the road as they would come to crawling speeds :cool:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes. I do. My wife's iPhone 5.

My mom and my sister live in two different states. I don't touch their phones (my mom has enough issues trying to figure out iOS itself and my sister purports to be an iOS Goddess so I just stay out of the way)

But my wife has strict instructions not to update anything from Cydia and she generally stays out of there anyway.

Jailbreaking her iPhone is just easier than hearing "Why can't I do 'X'?"

That started when all she wanted was to call up the LED as a flashlight and became annoyed that she had to use an app (she's on iOS 6.0.1). Activator took care of that. Then it was, why can't I sync ringtones and songs and so on with my iPhone (she has a 12" PowerBook G4). Bridge took care of that.

And so on…

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California
Hell no. Every time I do they either install crap trying to fix the imaginary battery drain they blame Cydia for. Or just complain daily that Cydias doing stuff. Pretty much its to blame to stuff the stock phone does anyways

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Oh hell no! I get enough tech support calls from my folks as it is. No way I'd let them start installing tweaks from Cydia!

Exactly what he said above :D
It's just tons of extra work, support and annoyance for me. Bad enough I have to babysit and fix their desktops and laptops all the time. Jb their idevices so they can mess them up and create more work and wasted time for myself? It starts getting old after a while whenever someone screws up their tech stuff it always ends up my problem.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
It's just tons of extra work, support and annoyance for me. Bad enough I have to babysit and fix their desktops and laptops all the time. Jb their idevices so they can mess them up and create more work and wasted time for myself? It starts getting old after a while whenever someone screws up their tech stuff it always ends up my problem.

It's definitely true.

The solution though: I throw the hacks (Cydia, pangu) in a folder and tell them "don't touch"

They trust me since I've done this for them multiple times/iPhone generations.

What was not fun-- telling my mom to trade in her phone but restore it first. She erased all content and settings when I told her ABSOLUTELY DO NOT.

It's really minimal too. Speed enhancements and tethering. That's about it.

Figuring out how to restore in iTunes over the phone while I was working was NOT fun.

Otherwise it's been incredibly rewarding.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This is why I live in Arizona, my parents live in California, my sister lives in Washington and my wife's family all lives in Georgia.

A few states between people tends to drastically curtail support calls.

Thankfully no one's ever caught on to remote support. :D

----------

Yeah I always tell them not to touch certain things but they do mess with things they got no clue about.
And then play dumb. I don't know what happened, I didn't do anything:D
My wife has a look she gives me when I've been incredibly stupid or just a man (one and the same maybe? :D). Stops me dead.

The turn about is the look I have when a device or piece of tech (as she refers to things) which I have SPECIFICALLY stated DO NOT MESS WITH has been messed with.

She'll do all she can to avoid receiving that look. :)

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I recently helped my brother jailbreak his iphone six plus over the past weekend. He seems to be catching on; I'm quite and thoroughly proud of myself. Sent from my iPad.

glsillygili

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
New York
It's definitely true.

The solution though: I throw the hacks (Cydia, pangu) in a folder and tell them "don't touch"

They trust me since I've done this for them multiple times/iPhone generations.

What was not fun-- telling my mom to trade in her phone but restore it first. She erased all content and settings when I told her ABSOLUTELY DO NOT.

It's really minimal too. Speed enhancements and tethering. That's about it.

Figuring out how to restore in iTunes over the phone while I was working was NOT fun.

Otherwise it's been incredibly rewarding.
Oh I love that. One of my former teachers bought the iPhone 4 when it was initially released on Verizon. I told her not to update it so she goes and updates it. Then she wonders why it's not working. Same thing with one of my friends Wiis we told him not to update it and that it would brick his Wii so he updated it anyway and said "hur dur u bricked muh wii". Why is it so hard for people to listen to instructions?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
This is why I live in Arizona, my parents live in California, my sister lives in Washington and my wife's family all lives in Georgia.

A few states between people tends to drastically curtail support calls.

Thankfully no one's ever caught on to remote support. :D

----------

My wife has a look she gives me when I've been incredibly stupid or just a man (one and the same maybe? :D). Stops me dead.

The turn about is the look I have when a device or piece of tech (as she refers to things) which I have SPECIFICALLY stated DO NOT MESS WITH has been messed with.

She'll do all she can to avoid receiving that look. :)

Lmao:D
You are a wise individual to put plenty of space and buffer around inlaws. I like that:)

boo-boo-butt

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2014
For those of you willing to deal with the headaches: more power to you. And, from your posts, you guys have it on lockdown which is great.

I don't bother. My gf used to be jealous of my jailbreaks so I promised I'd sort her phone out once we moved in together. I haven't done it yet because her 5s crashes now and then and my 8.1 restoring shenanigans this weekend have scared her off the idea.

In my immediate family, my mum has an iPad but there's no need to go jailbreaking and I told my little brother not to try it, as well.

Most people I know want to jailbreak to download cracked apps and that's an area I definitely do not go anywhere near. Same for torrents, etc. Not worth the hassle.

I've learned just to keep quiet about jailbreaking stuff unless I'm talking to a fellow JB'er.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.