Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlateStacker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2014
I am constantly having trouble with my stock dictionary while typing on the internet. For some words, the computer dictionary cannot give me a correction. It does not list the correct spelling as an opinion to choose from. And some words I'm only off by one letter! And it still doesn't recognize that word! So I am constantly having to go to Google and type the word in there. Almost 99% of the time, Google gets it right the first time! This is sad. Is there any way to replace my stock dictionary with Googles? Or at least upgrade it to a better one?

:apple: Thanks guys! :apple:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I am constantly having trouble with my stock dictionary while typing on the internet. For some words, the computer dictionary cannot give me a correction. It does not list the correct spelling as an opinion to choose from. And some words I'm only off by one letter! And it still doesn't recognize that word! So I am constantly having to go to Google and type the word in there. Almost 99% of the time, Google gets it right the first time! This is sad. Is there any way to replace my stock dictionary with Googles? Or at least upgrade it to a better one?

:apple: Thanks guys! :apple:

No but you can select another from the installed list?!?

PlateStacker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2014
What installed list? I find nothing to do with the dictionary in Sys Pref..

Anyone else...?

PlateStacker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2014
:-(

BUMP

I've asked three questions so far on here, and haven't got one answer to any of them or even barely a reply. On my other forums, I'm used to a question being answer within 20mins after someone posts it, from 10 different people.. with 5 different solutions. I guess this board isn't like that.. :confused:

sharon22

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Okay okay... Sharon22 to the rescue. You haven't gotten an answer because I've been away for a day and a half. hahahah LOL Just kidding everyone (this is how to get the whole macrumors community mad at me LOL).

[exactly 95 seconds later...]

I would LOVE to take credit, and pretend I already knew all this stuff, but instead, I'm going to send you to a ONE-PAGE website that will answer all of your questions about your dictionary, expanding your existing dictionary (so it will give you the spelling you want instead of going to Google), as well as exploring the possibilites of ADDING MORE dictionaries.

Ready?

I said, are you READY?

Ready Freddie?

Okay here it is:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/easily-expanding-apple-dictionary-mac-only/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.