Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akazakov

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2014
Got the same issue yesterday

I got late 2013 rMBP 15''.

Wiped it with Screen Cleaning Wipes from RadioShack yesterday for the first time. And the issue appeared right away.

It is still under the first year of warranty and I'm taking it to the AppleStore later today. Am a little scared, but will let you know what happens.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I bought my 15" Macbook Retina almost a year ago and noticed the anti-glare coating coming off (around the bezel, exactly the same as some of the photos posted here) about 3 months ago.

As my warranty was about to run out (one week to go!) I took it to the Apple Store today (in Basel, Switzerland) and the guy took a quick look, wrote "glue marks around the screen" and took it in for a screen swap. They had one in stock so it was done whilst I waited. Nice new screen!

I really look after my laptop (or so I like to think) and only cleaned the screen with a soft cloth and some water, so it's a manufacturing fault as far as I'm concerned.

I waited until the warranty was about to expire as I wanted to ensure any replacement screen would hopefully have had the fault fixed. Let's see!

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Walked in, showed them the screen, they logged a repair ticket thingy, and an hour later I have it back with a new screen.

I don't understand your question.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Try changing what you say ... tell them there's glue under the screen and it's a manufacturing defect.

I mean, I originally booked the genius appointment saying it looks like the anti-glare coating is coming off but I could have been wrong. It may have been that, or water under the screen as someone else said, or glue. Who knows.

I said anti-glare coating and the guy put "glue marks" in his report.

melastudio

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2014
Same problem

I've had the same problem. It began with little "spot" when tried to clean with wet soft cloth. So I tried with a common glasses detergent and all the border is now spoiled...
It's not the form macbook I have but it's the first time that happens to me such a thing!
About 3000€ and a drop of water begun to ruin it!

Non only in the border. Now it starts to ruin also in correspondence with the spacebar key.

I a while my Macbook will be almost unusable...

I hope in warranty (I've also AppleCare)...

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
I just received a refurb late 2013 15" rMBP (2.6, 1TB, 16gb, 750m) today and im probably not even gonna take it out of the box because I am so horrified by the photos and experiences in this thread. WOW.

This is either a catastrophic quality control situation or, the logical side of me tells me that perhaps you guys are wiping the screens too often/excessively and with cleaners not approved by apple.

but wow, im too scared to use a laptop now.

Buy AppleCare and enjoy the laptop. Clearly it's not a widespread problem otherwise many more people would complain about it. My LG display didn't have this problem over a year of use and the replacement Samsung developed it rather quickly.

I wipe the screen maybe once every two weeks with the included Apple cloth. If there's smudging I'll dab the screen on a cold bottle of water to moisten the cloth with the condensation. No chemicals ever used.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
Buy AppleCare and enjoy the laptop. Clearly it's not a widespread problem otherwise many more people would complain about it. My LG display didn't have this problem over a year of use and the replacement Samsung developed it rather quickly.

I wipe the screen maybe once every two weeks with the included Apple cloth. If there's smudging I'll dab the screen on a cold bottle of water to moisten the cloth with the condensation. No chemicals ever used.

Yeah, the screen is flawless now and I use it gingerly, and use the apple cloth to gently wipe away fingerprints.

my credit card has a 1 year warranty stacked to the original one + a 120 day incidental/accidental damage and theft policy (up to $10k) so im pretty covered incase something happens.

still babying it though. i hate this feeling, id rather just have a 300 dollar laptop i can just toss around without a care

jessirae

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2014
I'm having the same problem – Early 2013, 15" MBPr

I'm having the same problem with my work MBPr (early 2013, 15"). I only clean my screen with the Apple-provided cleaning cloth, and today I used a little water. The black/anti-glare seems to have rubbed off on the bezel around the camera. I'm sure that it's out of warranty and I don't think my company didn't purchase AppleCare for it.

I guess, I'll give Apple a call or run to an Apple Store this weekend. It's purely aesthetic at this point, but I'm worried that it will spread to the rest of the screen like some of you have had problems with. If the new 2014 MBPr don't have this problem, maybe they will replace my screen with a non-defective one :rolleyes:.

sandylp

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
I appreciate these forums, as I've learned so much. Keeping my fingers crossed that my luck holds. I have a 15 inch rmbp bought in 10/13 with no spots as described in this forum on the display. I wipe it regularly with the cloth that came with my eyeglasses and can't see any smudges or spots. I have never used any water or cleaner. I bet this is a defect coming from certain factories, and should be repaired under warranty. This is why I always get Apple Care with my laptops, although I have never had reason to use it. After reading the forum, though, I will certainly pay more attention to the screen and black border, just in case.:)

iliasp

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
Greece
My LG display didn't have this problem over a year of use and the replacement Samsung developed it rather quickly.

Thats also my case, LG screen didn't show any signs of this issue, the Sammy one developed it and its already in many spots!

Out of warranty and wanna see what they will tell me

My mac was bought September 2012, screen was replaced in summer 2013

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Is this only happening on Samsung screens? I just bought a 2014 15" refurb with LG screen, trying to decide whether to return it in the 14-day period.

Silon

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2013
I have a similar problem, just made an appointment at the Genius Bar for next week.

anarti

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Scotland
My wifes 2012 retina has the same problem around the webcam. We had an appointment at Apple Store and screen will be replaced.

My personal opinion is that is caused by the pressure when lifting the lid to open position. Underneath the external layer, some glue didn't hold and what we can see is the patches where the glue lost the contact with another internal layers.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I used just a dab of water on a clean cloth, no issues. Now using below item, easy to install and never have to worry about the screen. Cannot even see the protector at all.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-25 at 11.05.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-25 at 11.05.24 AM.png
    517.3 KB · Views: 347

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
i had the same issue except mine was located on the screen itself. Took it to Apple store and they swapped the screen.
The only shame now is that before i had perfect samsung screen but now i have slightly not perfect LG. Well, its ok though, nothing major to replace it again so I'm keeping it :)

Artimus12

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2011
YooKay
...Now using below item, easy to install and never have to worry about the screen. Cannot even see the protector at all.
..been looking at these since I got my rMBP, but I'm a little worried because some of the reviews are saying it affects the clarity and brightness of the screen ...and it's not so cheap in the UK! So what's the truth? :cool:

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
..been looking at these since I got my rMBP, but I'm a little worried because some of the reviews are saying it affects the clarity and brightness of the screen ...and it's not so cheap in the UK! So what's the truth? :cool:

Read same complaints, but went ahead, and made the purchase. Turned up the brightness one notch, and no issues viewing the screen nor clarity. I can't even see the darn screen protector myself. Unknown why others have issues. I have the retina screen so this might be why some are complaining....

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H...protector-for-macbook-pro-with-retina-display

Silon

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2013
While considering the use of a screen protector, I was wondering what would be the effect of removing(for any reason) or replacing it to the screen. I am afraid that if this were to occur it might very well damage the coating in a similar way as seen on the pictures in this topic.

Artimus12

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2011
YooKay
The write-up says it can be removed, washed and replaced without any residue or marking left on the display. The Moshi seems to be the most popular choice, so if it actually damaged the screen coating I'm sure we'd have read about it by now.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
The write-up says it can be removed, washed and replaced without any residue or marking left on the display. The Moshi seems to be the most popular choice, so if it actually damaged the screen coating I'm sure we'd have read about it by now.

Couple of weeks old now, and I so very pleased with the Moshi. I don't even know I have it on. Never heard of any damage from a Moshi

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.