Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cassady

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Sqornshellous
Hello all,

Possibly THE silliest question - but hey, live and learn... :rolleyes:

Bought a 2012 i7 Quad-core Mac mini a few weeks back.
Have XBMC up and running etc., and connected to the same TV that the ATV2 was. The latter was JB, and had XBMC running ℅ Firecore(?), which I purchased to set everything up.

Since installing the mini, it was the least hassle to simply unplug the HDMI cable out of the back of the ATV2, and into the mini. But for reasons only know to me - having the ATV2 sitting there, with lonely blinking light, next to the mini - and being activated each time I tried using the :apple: Remote on the mini, was driving me nuts. So I unplugged it, and popped it into storage.

The plan is to pull the ATV2 out again, when we finally upgrade the TV in the bedroom to a HDTV with HDMI input. Until such time, I have no use for the ATV2.

Question: If a year from now, I dust off the ATV2 and plug it in to the new HDTV - will everything still be as is? Or will something internally (a battery/memory of sorts?) eventually become depleted whilst not plugged in, that will reset everything to factory default?

As mentioned - silly question - but I really don't have the faintest idea about how these things store settings...

TL:dR >> is a JB (relatively) permanent despite a ATV2 not being plugged in to the mains?

Many thanks!

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I bought my ATV2 three years ago and because I had no HDTV until this past July, it just sat there collecting dust. I'm still using it now and will eventually buy a ATV3 and use the 2 upstairs on a smaller 720P TV.

Your ATV will be fine until you are ready to use it.

I hadn't planned on waiting two years to use the ATV2 but something always came up to use the cash I had planed in using to buy a TV. Now TVs are so cheap, there was no excuse to finally buy one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.