Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
I'm curious to know if anyone here has sprung for the $.99/mo option and if they feel it is enough space for their needs and what their needs are. I've been strongly considering this just to be able to back up more photos of sentimental value.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
You're not 100% correct. Proline is right in the sense that Optimise Storage does not require a 1-1 storage ratio. I think he misspoke when he said "no storage is needed" because - of course, caches have to be stored somewhere locally. But you're wrong in the calculations that 50 GBs would result in 5 for caches. Low-quality, small thumbs will be take up much less than that. And you cannot judge the amount of storage used by the "Usage" pane in Settings as that would just be a snapshot in time that does not consider a lot of variables at play - for e.g. if iOS has marked any caches or downloaded/old assets as deletable, etc.

The point here is to prove that topherdesign was wrong in his original point:

We have proven that he is wrong, but he's now shifted the point someplace else.

Yea, I have no way to know the amount of space needed for 50GB of photos cached on a device, I was guessing about 5GB based on what I have been seeing in my tests.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Technically, that's not a solution, it's just a workaround (and damned kludgey one at that).
Yes, 'solve' was not the best word for this, 'fix temporarily' or 'workaround' describe it better. What I like about it is that it clearly shows where the problem is that feeds the 'Other' category. Instead of a voodoo procedure, it directly removes the object (the movie file) that is causing the issue.

topherdesign

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pa
That's a shame, others try to stay on topic and have an actual conversation.
Everything I said was on topic and related to the O.P.
Apparently if someone has an opinion or point of view that differs from yours, you take it personally, feel the need to get defensive and aggressive for some reason, and try to be condescending to them.
I don't understand that at all.
If you don't agree with someone, there is a much better and progressive way to approach it then the tactless way you have here.
Period.

No, you don't, and you've obviously never tried it either.
Actually, its been activated on my phone since I updated to ios8 and have been using it and investigating it since.
So you are incorrect once again.
How can you possibly think you can tell me what I have tried and haven't tried? I'm sorry, I must have forgot that you know everything about what I have done with my phone and how I use it.
Do you follow me around? Are you standing next to me right now? Can you see my phone and what I have or haven't done with it?
NO.

I haven't called anyone names, I've pointed out that you are ignorant and don't know how this works, which is the truth. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Yes, you have, and you did.
You called me ignorant and told me to grow up?
Seriously dude?
The truth is you are eating your words.
Wake up.

to get back on topic:

"iCloud photos requires zero local storage to display your entire library,"
This is 100% incorrect.

----------

Proline said:
You about you give it a break and actually read my post above yours. I don't know what more you want.
Yeah, Proline obviously has anger management issues, God forbid someone ask a question that might have already been answered, or not understand something that he has mentioned.
How dare you. ;)

Reactions: peterdevries

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
iOS 8 at the moment allows you to use both the 'old' Photo Stream and the new iCloud Photo Library. Since Photo Stream usage is not counted against your storage allotment, there is zero harm in keeping it turned on to feed images taken on devices running iOS 8 to devices running iOS 7 and to iPhoto and Aperture, while at the same time also enabling iCloud Photo Library.

How the new Photos app will deal with Photo Stream and iOS 7 devices is something we don't know yet.

Thanks! Hmm. Might just wait & see then.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Anyone else having having the issue with pictures uploaded through the website showing 8hours added to the actual time the picture was taken? Pictures uploaded from iPhones/iPads show the correct time but not the once from icloud.com

This is a picture I actually took at about 9:55pm. I downloaded this picture from icloud.com and than uploaded it again through the website and it added the 8 hours. It seems that the actual metadata stays the same because if I download this picture again the metadata still shows the correct time of 9:55pm. :mad:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.