Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Atomant669

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Hi I have been using my IPhone 6+ for about a few weeks now in a Spigen tough armor case. For the past few days I have noticed that the tough armor case is slightly concave. So I removed the phone from the case and realized that it is indeed conclaves as well althought very slightly it is visible when viewed from the sides.

My question is apart from the 'bendgate' incident. I have been using my phone very carefully and within normal usage. Could it be that my iPhone 6+ came from the factory slightly bent?

What about you guys in this forum with an iPhone 6+. Are they slightly curved as well?

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Hi I have been using my IPhone 6+ for about a few weeks now in a Spigen tough armor case. For the past few days I have noticed that the tough armor case is slightly concave. So I removed the phone from the case and realized that it is indeed conclaves as well althought very slightly it is visible when viewed from the sides.

My question is apart from the 'bendgate' incident. I have been using my phone very carefully and within normal usage. Could it be that my iPhone 6+ came from the factory slightly bent?

What about you guys in this forum with an iPhone 6+. Are they slightly curved as well?

You'll never know for sure at this point. The phone could have been curved straight out of the box or you could have had an incident that caused it to curve and not realized it.

My Plus is as straight as an arrow.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I'd wonder if the case was slightly curved, and your phone just conformed to match the shape.

Next iPhone model "iPhone 7 Curve"

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Wouldn't the case be hard to put on if the phone was curved from the start? Wouldn't it seem more logical that you bent the case with the phone in it?

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I posted elsewhere that I checked my 6+ with a spirit level a week after I got it, and it has a miniscule concave curve (~0.5mm deflection in the center). I can't see the curve just by looking at the edge.
I too have been very careful with not applying a bending force to the phone, and wonder if it came that way out of the box...

Atomant669

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
I posted elsewhere that I checked my 6+ with a spirit level a week after I got it, and it has a miniscule concave curve (~0.5mm deflection in the center). I can't see the curve just by looking at the edge.
I too have been very careful with not applying a bending force to the phone, and wonder if it came that way out of the box...

Yes that's what I thought so too. Which is why the original thread. I'm pretty sure the concave is not due to rough handling. Given that the phone is prone to bending, it would take a significant amount of force or negligence to bend it and I am sure I am careful enough these past weeks. :)

jbkonis

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
I have a 6 plus, when I unboxed it I was convinced it was bent. I've been using it for a bit now, rocking it in my pocket, no fear, no case. Now that I'm over the paranoia, I've realized it's actually not bent. Just BS within my own brain caused by so much bend hype. I actually found a flat surface, laid it down with the camera hanging over the edge, and it's perfectly fine.

If it wasn't for this internet sensation, would any of us see a perceptible "bend"? Let's let go, and use it as if we bought like any other product.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Mine rocks back and forth but that is solely because of the protruding camera. Once I put a case on the phone, it no longer does it.

Careful examination of my phone also shows that its straight as a line.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Mine is ever so slightly warped, I noticed it when it came out of the box and I was trying to apply a screen protector.

It's barely noticeable, I only did because at extreme angles it seems a bit...off.

Atomant669

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Alright I'm pretty sure it's slightly bent 'concave' right out of the box.

And reading at the responses it seems like some of the members here have it as well.

So here's the question. Shall I just bend it back?

Tobias Funke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2012
If your not happy with it bent send it back.

Or keep using it because you will bend your new one again!:D

Robert1-1

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
It's possible if you didn't expect it carefully when you purchased it. I had one bent straight out of the box that I pointed out to the Apple sales person and they quickly got me a new one.

RyanG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Been using the phone for 'a few weeks'...claims bent out of the box...

this thread makes no sense.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I wouldn't try bending it back, you could just cause actual damage.

I know that it's been documented that bending it back with your hands tends to shatter the screen.

I wonder what happens if you lay it flat. Like face down on a table and set books on it. If the uniform pressure against the back would cause it to conform flat between two flat surfaces. Might take time to work at low weight to avoid snapping anything.

But personally, if it's concerning, I'd let Apple replace it instead of experimenting.

Atroz

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008
I received my 6 plus yesterday (from the factory) and with all this bend talk I had a look at it right away. I started with using the edge of the plastic tray from the box and it seemed like the phone was bent. I went and got a very precise straight edge (3 thousands over 36") from my shop. Sure enough, the phone is bent. 12 thousands of an inch, or 0.3mm. See picture.

This is with the factory plastic still on it. I don't think it has any real effect. I didn't want to go direct on the phone since the straight edge is also metal.

So it appears to me that they can be slightly bent out of the box and this is likely what many people are seeing. If you hold it up to the light, you can certainly see the light leaking through as I've seen in many pictures. Will it get worse? Likely, if abused.

So what am I going to do about it? Use the phone as intended. I put a Ringke Fusion case on it and have been enjoying the new phone since.

Attachments

• bent iPhone.jpg
    bent iPhone.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 179
Reactions: MacAPOL

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I received my 6 plus yesterday (from the factory) and with all this bend talk I had a look at it right away. I started with using the edge of the plastic tray from the box and it seemed like the phone was bent. I went and got a very precise straight edge (3 thousands over 36") from my shop. Sure enough, the phone is bent. 12 thousands of an inch, or 0.3mm. See picture.

This is with the factory plastic still on it. I don't think it has any real effect. I didn't want to go direct on the phone since the straight edge is also metal.

So it appears to me that they can be slightly bent out of the box and this is likely what many people are seeing. If you hold it up to the light, you can certainly see the light leaking through as I've seen in many pictures. Will it get worse? Likely, if abused.

So what am I going to do about it? Use the phone as intended. I put a Ringke Fusion case on it and have been enjoying the new phone since.

Not good that some devices are bent out of the box. Apple need to up their game in QC, these are £700 devices! You wouldn't accepted a paint defect!

Atroz

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008
Not good that some devices are bent out of the box. Apple need to up their game in QC, these are £700 devices! You wouldn't accepted a paint defect!

Well, that depends on how bad it was. These are tools, they'll get damaged with use and eventually 'consumed' either through obsolescence or breakage and replaced.

I'm a person that believes the first scratch frees you of the stress of trying to keep an object perfect. It's a relief. I bought a $50K car some 8 years ago, the first time I washed it I picked up some grit on a wash mitt and put a big (good foot long) sideways U-shape scratch on the passenger door. It was visible but not deep enough to rust. Damn, but there I go, first scratch over with. Since then it was ran in to by a taxi, I jackknifed a trailer and dented the rear quarter panel, 6 months ago I backed in to a metal guard I didn't see (blind spot) and punched a dent and hole in to the back. Damn again. The only one I got fixed was the taxi issue because it caused a fair bit of damage to the front and the hole I put silicone in so that it wouldn't get water inside and rust. It's a tool, it still functions, its fine.

Last edited:

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC

Good man.
thanks for not making a big fuss about practically nothing

----------

Well, that depends on how bad it was. These are tools, they'll get damaged with use and eventually 'consumed' either through obsolescence or breakage and replaced.

I'm a person that believes the first scratch frees you of the stress of trying to keep an object perfect. It's a relief. I bought a $50K car some 8 years ago, the first time I washed it I picked up some grit on a wash mitt and put a big (good foot long) sideways U-shape scratch on the passenger door. It was visible but not deep enough to rust. Damn, but there I go, first scratch over with. Since then it was ran in to by a taxi, I jackknifed a trailer and dented the rear quarter panel, 6 months ago I backed in to a metal guard I didn't see (blind spot) and punched a dent and hole in to the back. Damn again. The only one I got fixed was the taxi issue because it caused a fair bit of damage to the front and the hole I put silicone in so that it wouldn't get water inside and rust. It's a tool, it still functions, its fine.

well this on the other hand.. damn you screwed that car up.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

A tiny bend at 0.3mm may be acceptable and well within the spec that QC uses. Materials used to assemble anything have tolerances and I bet most of them have a bit of a curve or bend right out of the box.

Atroz

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008
well this on the other hand.. damn you screwed that car up.

Hey, 8 years in a city, things are going to happen. If you look at it from the front right it looks fine. ;-) BTW, none of those compare to breaking the turbo last year and having it take out the engine. That was expensive to fix at over $6K and close to $50K on a truck that I bought to get home.

tvbi

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2004
Just got a new 6+ yesterday and it has a slight bend out of the box, not much but noticeable. I can slide a piece of paper under the middle part of the phone if I place it face down on a table very easily.

AbandonedCashew

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2017

I got my 6s+ refurb two days ago, and I’ve noticed a slight curve as well. I can rock the device against a straight-edge. My curve is concave on the screen side as well. Only about 3 Newtons of force is required to bend it straight. It’s not significant enough to slide paper under the middle of the phone lying face down, but it is enough to be visible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.