Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
LTE was sucking it down.

6hrs to 30%.

The rest was wifi

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 104

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
No, you don't want to drain the battery to near empty, that's bad for the battery. You're better off charging it more frequently when it's at a higher percentage.
Usually with previous phones I would and with my Galaxy Note 3 specifically the battery life went from great in the beginning to poor after a year and that is with frequent charging. Since there is no removable battery in the iPhone 6+ I want to preserve the life of the battery as much as I can. I will probably hold on to this one for 2 years. Thanks for the heads up.

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
WOW, I just activated my 6 PLUS last night, and after fully charging it while setting it up, my battery lasted almost a full 24 hours. I also updated several apps that consumed about 10-15% of my battery. Just amazing. Really excited to see real world usage since I am a long haul trucker.

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Had my iPhone 6+ for over two months now. Still getting amazing battery life. #

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 100

xealo

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2014
IMG_0287.PNG

I plugged it in right @ that 22%.

----------

just wanted to let users here know...

after u all had ur fun figuring how long ur battery can last.
- just charge it whenever u can, unless u have no choice at all.

by doing 90-100% discharge so willingly (when u don't have to), u have just shortened the life expectancy of ur battery holding charge capacity.

do it for another 300-500 cycles, and ur total battery life will suffer a 70-80% degradation.

[who says so? all studies on lithium-ion batteries say so.]

I basically charge mine once it drops down to 40% or so. I usually get 2 days of use before it hits that number. But yes, I agree with ya. I read a ton of lithium-ion studies and all basically say to discharge a little past half way so you are not using a full cycle.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH

I plugged it in right @ that 22%.

----------

I basically charge mine once it drops down to 40% or so. I usually get 2 days of use before it hits that number. But yes, I agree with ya. I read a ton of lithium-ion studies and all basically say to discharge a little past half way so you are not using a full cycle.
A cycle is 0% to 100%. If you charge from 0 to 100 that's one cycle, if you charge from 50 to 100 twice that's also one cycle.

xealo

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2014
A cycle is 0% to 100%. If you charge from 0 to 100 that's one cycle, if you charge from 50 to 100 twice that's also one cycle.

Yeah that's not exactly how that works. Partial discharges don't tax the battery as much thus prolonging it's life and overall discharge cycles. The longer the charge, the more heat and stress is placed upon the battery. Plus, I get 4 days out of one entire 50-100% cycle vs 3 for 0-100%.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Last edited:

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Yeah that's not exactly how that works. Partial discharges don't tax the battery as much thus prolonging it's life and overall discharge cycles. The longer the charge, the more heat and stress is placed upon the battery. Plus, I get 4 days out of one entire 50-100% cycle vs 3 for 0-100%.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
I'm not talking about performance, I'm talking about cycle counts, as in the number that gets reported when running battery diagnostics.

I completely agree, charging from a dead or almost dead battery is not good for the battery, it severely reduces it's life if done frequently.

xealo

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2014
I'm not talking about performance, I'm talking about cycle counts, as in the number that gets reported when running battery diagnostics.

I completely agree, charging from a dead or almost dead battery is not good for the battery, it severely reduces it's life if done frequently.

My bad Geoff. You are exactly correct in that regard.

Anybody know if using third-party keyboards such as Switkey, eats more battery over the stock one?

Last edited:

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
Ahh the 3 days standby :). Everyone getting 10+ hours usage only has about 24 hours standby.

thanks mattopotamus. but educate me please as i never pay attention to the standby mode. what''s that standby mode? when you say some people getting 10 hrs have 24 hours standby mode that it means that my 6+ battery is doing ok ? i am just mostly concern about the usage in itself. i did a full battery drain just this morning to re-calibrate it and hopefully i can get a better usage than what i am getting before.

----------

That's normal with that much heavy Safari browsing especially if your screen brightness is turned up.

Also, if you're in an area with a low/weak signal, the battery life will take a significant hit.

thanks cababah. btw, i had my screen brightness set to low.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

thanks mattopotamus. but educate me please as i never pay attention to the standby mode. what''s that standby mode? when you say some people getting 10 hrs have 24 hours standby mode that it means that my 6+ battery is doing ok ? i am just mostly concern about the usage in itself. i did a full battery drain just this morning to re-calibrate it and hopefully i can get a better usage than what i am getting before.

----------

thanks cababah. btw, i had my screen brightness set to low.

You didn't charge the phone for 3 days. Most of the people with more usage time are charging the phone every night or every other. You went 36 hours between charges.

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
I am totally amazed at my battery life on y 6 plus. I unplugged it this morning about 5:30 and with about an average day of use, I have 3 hours 45 minutes usage, 14 hours 36 minutes standby with 57%charge left. Just incredible. :cool:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It's an absolute beast. I've just gotten 10 hours usage over 24 hours. It's basically the same battery life as the iPad mini which is insane. Who cares about spare batteries when you can get 10 hours on a single charge. My mophie power pack is going to go unused. If only for this reason alone I will never go back to android.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Any 6 Plus users previously own a Galaxy S5? If so, how does battery life compare?

I'd say it's about a 40-50 % increase. The most usage I ever got out of my S5 was 4 hours screen on time. I'm easily getting 8-9 hours screen on time with my 6 plus. I don't think that the S5 has a bad battery life it's just that the 6 plus is so good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.