Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grudderdude

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2014
Exactly! I am in the same boat. I like Mac quality but just want to be able to goof around on the odd game. The 750m won't cut it for newer games and Im totally suprised apple hasn't opened up the option to upgrade the gpu when purchasing a rMBP. I'd actually be disappointed if all they did was upgrade to the 800 series GPU's next refresh. They are going to be old by the time the refresh happens.

OMGwtfBBQwings

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
hypothetical situation: come February or the next release: what is the likelihood of Apple releasing the 13" rMBP with a new broadwell chip but also releasing the 15" with a has well (higher clock) because the broadwell 15" ones arent ready?

has this happened before? does Apple like to release similar gen CPUs at the same time?

asking because I'm only interested in the 13"

----------

also when is IGZO supposedly finally coming out? it was supposed to come out back in late 2013 but still nothing?

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
[/COLOR]also when is IGZO supposedly finally coming out? it was supposed to come out back in late 2013 but still nothing?

IGZO is a Illusion...It is a Myth...A Legened that is going on since ages...It Never existed..It Never will ! Get Pre-Occupied with something else in your Life !

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013

Broadwell is a die shrink = lower TDP. That's it, I'm expecting Haswell levels of performance. Anyone who's expecting more needs to understand Tick-Tock.

Exactly! I am in the same boat. I like Mac quality but just want to be able to goof around on the odd game. The 750m won't cut it for newer games and Im totally suprised apple hasn't opened up the option to upgrade the gpu when purchasing a rMBP. I'd actually be disappointed if all they did was upgrade to the 800 series GPU's next refresh. They are going to be old by the time the refresh happens.

750M is a solid GPU, I'm happily playing BF4, Metro Last Light, World of Tanks, Civilisation Beyond Earth etc on it. I'd love the option for a BTO GPU upgrade, but I highly doubt that will happen, the thermal envelop of a laptop 1.8cm thin is limited so there's not chance of seeing anything higher than a 860M.

Also the 800 series is a major leap, it's based on Maxwell which is an architecture very focused on performance per watt which it excells at. From the benchmarks I've seen you are looking at a 50% boost within a every so slightly lower TDP which is remarkable. I'll happily upgrade if they update the rMBP with an 850M with 2GB GDDR5. If they release one with the option for an 860M I will rip Apple's arm off.
But the 750M is sufficient.

hypothetical situation: come February or the next release: what is the likelihood of Apple releasing the 13" rMBP with a new broadwell chip but also releasing the 15" with a has well (higher clock) because the broadwell 15" ones arent ready?

has this happened before? does Apple like to release similar gen CPUs at the same time?

asking because I'm only interested in the 13"

----------

also when is IGZO supposedly finally coming out? it was supposed to come out back in late 2013 but still nothing?

IGZO just relates to the transistors used in the LCD filter, all it means is lower power consumption for the display which isn't even that high seeing as it uses LED's already but it's something I'd welcome for sure. I'd like the slight max brightness boost that I'm sure it would bring though.

What do you mean? The 13" will get similar Broadwell chips to the 15", just more of the dual core variety than the quad core variety. It's likely that these chips will release at the same time.

My guess is we will see a summer release for the Broadwell/Maxwell rMBP upgrades and I can't wait!

----------

Those are ultra low voltage chips, expect them to be crap. What we can expect is Haswell chips with a lower power consumption. Nothing amazing but still nice.

Keniutek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Poland
I would love for Intel to stop ********** around, they need some serious competition to finally get their ish together. By the time Broadwell rolls out... we should have Skylake ready to go. They will delay the latter and further piss me off.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I would love for Intel to stop ********** around, they need some serious competition to finally get their ish together. By the time Broadwell rolls out... we should have Skylake ready to go. They will delay the latter and further piss me off.

Lol tell us how you really feel :rolleyes:

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
My guess is we will see a summer release for the Broadwell/Maxwell rMBP upgrades and I can't wait!

American Summer ? or English Summer ? or European Summer ? Just like America has some 20 Time Zones they also have some 50 Seasons :) so please use Names of Month instead. It will help the Globe not just specific country !

DiegoFrancisco

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Broadwell is a die shrink = lower TDP. That's it, I'm expecting Haswell levels of performance. Anyone who's expecting more needs to understand Tick-Tock.

----------

Those are ultra low voltage chips, expect them to be crap. What we can expect is Haswell chips with a lower power consumption. Nothing amazing but still nice.

If there's a big jump in efficiency, then what are the odds of that leading to a design refresh? Doesn't Apple tend to go with slimmer designs over huge increases in battery life?

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB

From what I've read Skylake will not be delayed. There may be weird short six month or less gap between Broadwell and Skylake introductions.

No way am I buying a Broadwell machine, not with all the significant advances and features of Skylake.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Will the elusive quad-core in the 13'' MBP make an appearance with Broadwell? I bet not.

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
American Summer ? or English Summer ? or European Summer ? Just like America has some 20 Time Zones they also have some 50 Seasons :) so please use Names of Month instead. It will help the Globe not just specific country !

Erm... American, British and European summer is basically the same thing.

Perhaps you were thinking about the distinction between the American summer and the Australian summer instead, where the time disparity is actually there?

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Erm... American, British and European summer is basically the same thing.

Perhaps you were thinking about the distinction between the American summer and the Australian summer instead, where the time disparity is actually there?

Also I could have added South African Summer to the List ! When it is Summer in all those continents, it is Winter in South Africa :rolleyes:

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013

Summer is a season from June to August, it's the same in Europe, the UK and the US.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
Don't know if I should wait or just buy now. My early 2011 15" is going to die anytime now. I've already had the logic board replaced once and now the battery is dying. I have the money for an rMPB 15" but wanted to wait until spring for the new models but I'm unsure if they'll even have them out then. Should I just buy now?
Yes, you should just buy now. Now is an excellent time to buy a MacBook Pro.

I formerly worked for Intel as a programmer responsible for the circuit simulation software the CPU designers used to verify their designs. I expect the Broadwell CPUs that Apple will use in the 2015 MacBook Pro models to outperform the Haswell CPUs in the current MacBook Pro models. One of us doesn't understand Tick-Tock.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
I formerly worked for Intel as a programmer responsible for the circuit simulation software the CPU designers used to verify their designs. I expect the Broadwell CPUs that Apple will use in the 2015 MacBook Pro models to outperform the Haswell CPUs in the current MacBook Pro models. One of us doesn't understand Tick-Tock.

Oh Look ! Who do we have here :) we are privileged to have the notorious Intel Ex- Employee :) what more INTEL (Secret Information) Can you give us about how the Broadwell equipped rMBP would be ? Would it be a Fanless CPU or what ?

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
Oh Look ! Who do we have here :) we are privileged to have the notorious Intel Ex- Employee :) what more INTEL (Secret Information) Can you give us about how the Broadwell equipped rMBP would be ? Would it be a Fanless CPU or what ?

I have never posted any secret information, so please refrain from asking for "more" secret information.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2013
I wonder what are the chances of Apple using 850m? (or 950m, if it's released by then, should be similar in specs, like how 650m is similar to 750m, with DDR3 vs GDDR5 + extra VRAM being the difference, I think)

I like how GTX 750 Ti is performing in my PC, having the similar performance in a MacBook Pro would be nice.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
I wonder what are the chances of Apple using 850m? (or 950m, if it's released by then, should be similar in specs, like how 650m is similar to 750m, with DDR3 vs GDDR5 + extra VRAM being the difference, I think)
It's probably about 50/50 that there will be any discrete GPU at all in any Broadwell MacBook Pro.

What's the chances the 15inch Pro gets updated with Broadwell soon?
My best guess is summer 2015. I doubt Broadwell CPUs suitable for the 15" MacBook Pro will be available in large quantities before June.

fongyuen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
http://mobile.extremetech.com/computing/222349-intel-roadmap-update-skylake-on-track-for-2015-will-debut-alongside-broadwell-k?origref=

New article about Intel's road map for 2015. Not planning on holding back/delaying skylake...thus far.

edit: was thinking about jumping on this deal:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1072689-REG/apple_mgxc2ll_a_15_4_macbook_pro_notebook.html
But may just wait a but more now, no rush.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.