Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krispykrme

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2014
I have same problem with all three of my IPhone 6+ 128 GB.

1 AT&T and 2 Verizon 6 plus.

All three would not run certain apps. Example, can't run discover TV app. It would launch and then crash when I try to scroll. After launching and crashing a couple times, the phone would reboot.

I have run the same app on colleague iPhone 6. No issues was found.

I would also have keyboard disappear halfway thru typing a word (in what app, line, wechat). It would would disappear when the the phone is rotated.

I would also experience that the system would just freeze for several second and then resume its function. This occurred on all three.

My wife's att unit would keep on launching voice control and auto play music (despite setup as new phone and turning voice control off).

Today while I was jogging and had one of the Verizon unit in my pocket (with covered case and screen off). 10 minutes later I heard three buzz, the phone has launched uber by itself and while I was jogging somehow requested a pick up for me. The buzz was notifying that the car has been waiting for me.

I had thought this was software issue. But I am not so sure after reading the report.

Paulio

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Happy

Quite content to be off contract, on pre-paid, and still using my jailbroken iPhone 5. This bad boy has more features, and is fine tuned to my liking, compared to these new fangled pieces of technological joke. I feel like I've dodged a non-lethal but quite expensive bullet and I look forward to buying copious amounts of weed with my savings. Suck it fanbois.

eclipsevv

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2012
iPhone 6 128GB for more than a month.

I had some issues the first few days when I restored my backup from a 4S (with about 500 apps). I decided to start again as a new device and had zero issues ever since.

It would be interesting to see if there are storage performance differences between different devices.

Can you try the Antutu benchmark and post your results?
Mine are: Storage I/O 2580

FOrhywa.png

Last edited:

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
Doesn't actually sound like the same issue. These aren't crashing into recovery but constantly rebooting.

----------

Likely not the same issue. The 128gb phones sound like a software crash issue. Yours sounds like a board crash which would be hardware

----------

Bad batch of Flash doesn't explain why it only seems to happen to units with large libraries. No one with only stock apps or say less than 50 on a 128gb has reported the same issue

----------

More like creating FUD. There is always a ton of replies on those boards but when you look closely typically there are few actual occurancies and they always seem loathe to contact apple via the proper channels

my iPhone 6+ died just short of a month

i had rebooting, crashing, you name it my iPhone had it.....it did have a fantastic battery life + worked perfect up until the end - sadly the replacement did not include the glorious battery life

i did NOT have 1000's of apps..I had less than 50 apps and used about 20GB out of 64GB so who knows!

here's pics at bottom of thread

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20103266#post20103266

----------

I have had my 6+ 6GB replaced at the genius bar last night.

1 phone was in stock. I was told that I had a hardware error.

Shiny new phone, the home button feels nice and clicky in this phone.

with a brand new iPhone or white box?

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
I've got a 128 GB iPhone 6 Plus (~30 GB free) and, in the past two weeks of use, have had it spontaneously crash/reboot three times. But it has always booted back up. Now I'm paranoid...

take it back ASAP, you don't want to wait more time then have it get worse - not cool to spend 1K and end up with a phone malfunctioning in ANY way

damicañuelas

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2014
It is bad to say that problem is in 6 or 6+ devices. I have a 5s 64gb and crash every times... I have 2 reboots in the past half an hour...
In 7.1.2 works preety good... With iOS 8 cames the problem..
All apps (for example whatsapp or facebook or twitter, which works fine in most of devices) CRASH ON STARTUP. And the reboots are very frecuently...
You guys have 1 year warranty to waits wondering its a software problem (that its probably) but i only have 60 days, and i wont waits a software update, because noone confirm that a software update solve my problems...
Because that in a few days i bring my phone back to an applestore and change to another one.
I restored several times to iOS 8, 8.1 and 8.0.2, sometimes in normal mode and sometimes in dfu, nothing works.
In crash reports the most of them sais EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL) or EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS).
I dont know what is that, and if its releated with this errors in TLC NAND FLASH MEMORY... Please help Apple!!!!!!!

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
In the MLC 16GB iP6+ at least, the NAND contains the ECC processing. This makes for a very fast flash. This leaves the rest of the controlling work to be done by the CPU. This is nothing new for Apple (I've just learned) as this controller in the CPU also runs the flash encryption. The A4 did it. I'm not sure about the SoC in the 3g s.

So with TLC, it would still be a controller in the CPU (SoC), but perhaps not the same controller algorithms used when MLC NAND is present. Perhaps something is going wrong with the 128GB NAND that is causing the whole SoC to reset? Perhaps the SoC is failing on wear leveling? There will be a lot of that with TLC.

Sure, those are all possiblities, and we can't know without further investigation. The only reason I suspect the controller is that the Anobit team was using some rather exotic ECC tech and it could be that the initial implementation is botched. Still, it's not like Apple have a history of botching SoC implementations, so it's a weak theory like all the others.

Just a general comment, but the NAND controllers in smartphones are waaaaay behind those in desktop SSDs. The size and power requirements absolutely preclude their use in a phone. I doubt the NAND even has a dedicated RAM cache on an iPhone.

TEMPA

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
Definite issue with both mine and my wife's 6+ 128GB units.

When this happens, you suddenly see the white Apple logo on a black screen, that I usually see when the phone is being turned on. This lasts between 5-10 seconds then the phone comes back to the "home page" displaying the apps.

When it happens I noticed that it also resets the "battery usage" section where it shows usage and standby times but does not effect battery usage by app % figures.... The battery and standby times are replaced with a - symbol as if they've been reset.

Happens on both our phones, not linked to any one particular app or function and is not deliberately repeatable. Both phone have 100 or less apps so it is not related to massive numbers of apps as others have alluded to.

My phone has 63GB free and my wife's is almost empty as we have not yet put her music or videos on it yet.....

pwnichols

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2014
128GB iPhone 6 Apps Crashing

My iPhone 6 has been working great... but all of the sudden today, my company's app started crashing. I thought it might be a server problem until I discovered that a bunch of my apps are crashing. I have about 180 apps, and just about any app that has a detail screen crashes (meaning it goes from a list screen to a detail screen when you click one of the items).

I've tried restarting the phone, messing with all kinds of settings, doing a hard reset, re-installing affected apps etc... nothing works. I'm simply unable to use the affected apps. Not sure what to do at this point.

pwnichols

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2014
Update - resolution to issue

My iPhone 6 has been working great... but all of the sudden today, my company's app started crashing. I thought it might be a server problem until I discovered that a bunch of my apps are crashing. I have about 180 apps, and just about any app that has a detail screen crashes (meaning it goes from a list screen to a detail screen when you click one of the items).

I've tried restarting the phone, messing with all kinds of settings, doing a hard reset, re-installing affected apps etc... nothing works. I'm simply unable to use the affected apps. Not sure what to do at this point.

I spoke with Apple support, and the guy was actually pretty helpful. The resolution was to do Settings > Reset > Reset All Settings (not erase all content and settings). He said he actually had the same issue with his phone. The only annoying thing is you'll of course have to adjust your settings back to your liking including background image and fingerprints.

Presumably the issue happened if you ran 8.0 or 8.0.1 for a long time (as I did) then the problem can happen, and there's no way out. Then once you upgrade to 8.1, you have to reset your settings to make sure everything is cleared out and back to normal. For those who never had the problem before updating to 8.1, you may get lucky and never see the issue.

Antgb84

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Owners of 128 GB iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Models Reporting Crashing and Boot Loop ...

No boot loops to report of here, 6+ 128 gig. It's all bollocks.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
My iPhone 6 128GB doesn't visibly "crash" or "loop". However, on several occasions I have found that Mail hasn't been updating for several days, and I think text messages are also being missed. Trying to force a Mail update doesn't work either, only totally shutting down and restarting the phone causes a flurry of mail to be then received, and sometimes old text messages will appear.

I hesitate to return it for a replacement until I am sure that I would get the updated flash memory version. If they actually have a "recall", I guess that would guarantee that happening.

damicañuelas

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2014
I think there is no relationship between the problem and the iphone 6+ 128gb....
I think there is a hardware problem that "wakes up" with the ios 8 releasing, and this hardware problem is related with storage capacity. In major of cases the problem ocurr on i6+ 128, but there are lot of another cases with 128gb and 64gb...
I have all the same problems mentioned in this thread and i have a 5s gold 64gb...
This crashes and reboots loops are afecting many models (i6+, i6, i5s) and 2 capacities (64 and 128).
I think its a hardware problem asociated with ios 8, because i have my i5s for about a year, and it been worked great with ios 7.1.2
Most of users cant check this because all have iphone 6+, and all iphones 6 cames out with ios 8 installed.
Sorry my bad english.
i hope some fix inmediatly.-..

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
iPhone 6 128GB for more than a month.

I had some issues the first few days when I restored my backup from a 4S (with about 500 apps). I decided to start again as a new device and had zero issues ever since.

It would be interesting to see if there are storage performance differences between different devices.

Can you try the Antutu benchmark and post your results?
Mine are: Storage I/O 2580

My Storage I/O was 2575 on a 64GB iPhone 6.

rich32gb5s

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
Berkshire
I spoke with Apple support, and the guy was actually pretty helpful. The resolution was to do Settings > Reset > Reset All Settings (not erase all content and settings). He said he actually had the same issue with his phone. The only annoying thing is you'll of course have to adjust your settings back to your liking including background image and fingerprints.

Presumably the issue happened if you ran 8.0 or 8.0.1 for a long time (as I did) then the problem can happen, and there's no way out. Then once you upgrade to 8.1, you have to reset your settings to make sure everything is cleared out and back to normal. For those who never had the problem before updating to 8.1, you may get lucky and never see the issue.

I carried out the reset as you described and amazingly the performance almost doubled !? Fantastic , thanks although I did have problems loading the reset without having to force shutdown. For some reason the reloading progress bar just wouldn't load further than 20% even after a number of soft reboots and eventual force shutdown. Not sure what is all about but still I'm flying now so not complaining ! :)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
My iPhone 6 128GB doesn't visibly "crash" or "loop". However, on several occasions I have found that Mail hasn't been updating for several days, and I think text messages are also being missed. Trying to force a Mail update doesn't work either, only totally shutting down and restarting the phone causes a flurry of mail to be then received, and sometimes old text messages will appear.

That it works when you reboot suggests it is a software, not hardware issue. Have you tried doing a restore. Have you verified you aren't out of storage space. Etc

From0toHero

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2014
Switzerland
Crazy

I have the 128GB space gray iPhone 6 and haven't had any issues, but I also have FAR less than 500 apps installed. Honestly, I bought the phone with this much storage so I could keep a good sized music library on it -- not hundreds of apps. (How can you even find what you need when you've got that much stuff loaded on it?? The automatic updates much be constantly chugging too, at that point.)

I swear that was my first idea to. Alone when you have 700 apps sure many of them are not even iOS 7 ready. I see alot of apps updated last time in 2011 or 2012. than they wonder when there phone goes crazy.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
That it works when you reboot suggests it is a software, not hardware issue. Have you tried doing a restore. Have you verified you aren't out of storage space. Etc

Thanks...

I have plenty of space available, about 1/2 full. I just did the suggested "Reset all settings", so will see if that helps.

Next step will probably be a full restore.

Antgb84

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Interestingly enough I was jailbroken then Substrate was updated through Cydia few or no crashes ever since.

Yogilim

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2014
Recently, I'm having with my iPhone 6 plus 128GB crashing apps, including Facebook, weatherbug, Redfin which I used all the time. I only have about 150 apps installed, very frustrating!!

Yogilim

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2014
Yes, including Yelp and only apps that need access to your location all crashed. So I did reset all settings, now they are fine so far. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.