Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Ooo, I love these threads.

So far it seems quite stable (VMWare Fusion 7). The functionality of the start menu/button is much more subtle compared to Windows 8. It also seems less glitch with a mouse in terms of indadvertedly activating the side bar.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
It's a hard disk power management glitch causing direct disk corruption - you are already isolated cos it can't corrupt a virtual disk in a VM anyway fella :D

Thanks Gav,

I meant disk corruption when direct accessing spinners in my Mac from within a VM. When I'm not sure, I hit the brakes! ;-)

Cheers

doynton

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
It seems like I can't use Bitlocker in a VM, at least according to VMware and Microsoft. Has anyone else tried it and been successful?

I may give TrueCrypt a try...
You can use bitlocker if you want and store the key on a USB or virtual floppy and will be prompted to use password. You need to turn off TPM in group policy.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/VMWare/Q_28505684.html

What you can't do is a native VHD boot (i.e. without using hypervisor). In this case you can't boot if either the volume the VHD is on or the VHD itself are encrypted using bitlocker.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
You can use bitlocker if you want and store the key on a USB or virtual floppy and will be prompted to use password. You need to turn off TPM in group policy.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/VMWare/Q_28505684.html

What you can't do is a native VHD boot (i.e. without using hypervisor). In this case you can't boot if either the volume the VHD is on or the VHD itself are encrypted using bitlocker.

Thanks, though I cannot see the answer on the link because I don't have an account on that site, and I really don't want to sign up either.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Thanks, though I cannot see the answer on the link because I don't have an account on that site, and I really don't want to sign up either.

I wouldn't either - that site has always been a recipe for email spam and they must pay Google to keep them high up on the search hits. The Microsoft and VMware support sites and forums will be free of all that - with real experts too :)

Encryption though I would definitely try it out on a standalone Windows system, as with a Mac running it in a VM you would encrypt the OS X volumes anyway.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I wouldn't either - that site has always been a recipe for email spam and they must pay Google to keep them high up on the search hits. The Microsoft and VMware support sites and forums will be free of all that - with real experts too :)

Encryption though I would definitely try it out on a standalone Windows system, as with a Mac running it in a VM you would encrypt the OS X volumes anyway.

Yeah, I have Filevault running so in reality the data on the VM's (which there isn't any but the OS) is encrypted by OS X, but I was looking to try Bitlocker in Windows since I don't have a standalone PC box.

doynton

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Sorry about the link - I don't have an account either. This morning I found the instructions there - now I can't see them.

You can do it though - you just save the key on a virtual floppy. Certainly that worked for me using VirtualBox.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Sorry about the link - I don't have an account either. This morning I found the instructions there - now I can't see them.

You can do it though - you just save the key on a virtual floppy. Certainly that worked for me using VirtualBox.

Are you referring to using Bitlocker or TrueCrypt? I'm going to mess around with it some more today.

doynton

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Are you referring to using Bitlocker or TrueCrypt? I'm going to mess around with it some more today.
I used bitlocker in a 8.1 Pro virtualbox VM - 10 should be the same. I'll try it in a VM today as well - at the moment I only have 10 installed in bootcamp.

ianahner

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2014
Good thread.

I'm running the W10 technical preview native in a dedicated partition and using VMware Fusion 7 on top of OS X Mavericks.

Sorry to bring back a post from a while ago, but are you by chance suggesting that you are running the SAME native dedicated installation in VMware?

Because if so, you have accomplished what I have spent hours trying to pull off.

I can get it to run in a VM, or I can get it to run in a bootcamp install, but I cant for life of me get any VM software to boot the bootcamp installation.

If you hold the keys to the universe please do share!

dinepada

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014
Perú
+ File Explorer is no more estimating time to complete for copying directories and files - this is good because the estimates have always been wrong

- Some glitches by changing the desktop background ( bug )

But it was useful in certain cases...

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
I'm not much of a power user at home anymore, so trying to put Windows 10 through its paces isn't as easy for me. I just have it set up to do the few, simple, things that I normally do at home.

I could put it into use at the office, but I can't use it as a production environment either.

So I just gauge it based on how I normally use a computer, much like how I tested the public beta of Yosemite.

I'll power use it....

Attachments

• XeonMax.JPG
    XeonMax.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 132

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Build 9926 was pushed to me last week and it looks pretty neat with a few functional changes and new icons.

This one is more buggy than previous builds for me. For instance, the Recycle Bin won't empty and when trying to do so it takes many seconds to respond to the clicking action.

The resolutions changed and it doesn't fill up the iMac screen like it previously did, so I had to reduce it a lot, though it did make it a lot easier for me to read with the bigger icons and font. :p I looked through the MS Feedback app and I'm not the only one experiencing that. A couple of other people with 27" iMac's and VMWare Fusion 7 have the same issue. Plus, the font and icons even look a little fuzzy now.

When booting it, it gives the opportunity to continue with the new build or rollback to a previous version which is cool. It now has a search bar by the Start button and Cortana too. Cortana seems pretty cool and they've beat Apple in bringing a personal digital assistant to the desktop, since OS X only has dictation and not full Siri.

I'm still poking around with it a little bit at a time, but I am enjoying it and I do look forward to Windows 10 later this year, and that it's supposed to be free!

DELTAsnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
Australia
Found a bug in Win 10 on my Mac Pro test bed, not sure is it's Apple, Microsoft or Google's problem. If you install iCloud for Windows and try to use the bookmarks feature with Google's Chrome iCloud ask you to install a Chrome Extension. That Apple made extension refuses to install saying it can only run on Windows 7 or 8.

gr4z

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
England
Has anyone managed to get this working natively within bootcamp without upgrading 8.1 first? I have tried to install W10 by creating a FAT partition in Disk Utility and then booting using a W10 USB pen. All seems OK albeit very slow until later in the installation routine it always crashes out and Windows prompts me to repair the disk.

Am about to try again with 8.1 and then do an upgrade - just seems a long winded way.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Found a bug in Win 10 on my Mac Pro test bed, not sure is it's Apple, Microsoft or Google's problem. If you install iCloud for Windows and try to use the bookmarks feature with Google's Chrome iCloud ask you to install a Chrome Extension. That Apple made extension refuses to install saying it can only run on Windows 7 or 8.

That's got to be a version check, I don't know if you can but I've resolved issues like that in the past just by editing an identifier string.

doynton

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Has anyone managed to get this working natively within bootcamp without upgrading 8.1 first? I have tried to install W10 by creating a FAT partition in Disk Utility and then booting using a W10 USB pen. All seems OK albeit very slow until later in the installation routine it always crashes out and Windows prompts me to repair the disk.

Am about to try again with 8.1 and then do an upgrade - just seems a long winded way.
Yes. Clean install works fine for 9879, 9901 and the current 9926 version. You could give some more information (any would do really) or just try rebooting a few times - I had to do that on the last version 3 times.

It does work but you have to try to be at little bit more specific.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Has anyone managed to get this working natively within bootcamp without upgrading 8.1 first? I have tried to install W10 by creating a FAT partition in Disk Utility and then booting using a W10 USB .....

No 8.1 needed but a NTFS formatted partition is. Boot the USB, custom install and format the correct partition .......

doynton

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
No 8.1 needed but a NTFS formatted partition is. Boot the USB, custom install and format the correct partition .......
Correct.
8.1 is NOT required
NTFS partition is NOT required as it will be created by the Win 10 install. Vacant space will do.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Installed Windows 10 on a VM. Loving it so far. A little glitchy at times but to be expected. Cortana on a desktop OS is pretty cool too. Love having the Start menu back.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Installed Windows 10 on a VM. Loving it so far. A little glitchy at times but to be expected. Cortana on a desktop OS is pretty cool too. Love having the Start menu back.

I'm liking it a lot too, despite it being a little glitchy at times.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
I'm liking it a lot too, despite it being a little glitchy at times.

Yeah oddly enough the most glitchy thing I've run into has been the new start menu. Sometimes when you press the Start button, it doesn't come up for me right away and I have to press it a few times. I was considering putting Windows 10 on a 2-in-1 tablet PC but now I don't think I will for another few months. I'll continue updating it and monitoring the progress on the VM until I feel that it's stable enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.