Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TerrorOFdeath

macrumors member
May 15, 2008
:cool:

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2014-11-24 um 18.49.06.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2014-11-24 um 18.49.06.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 276

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
Thanks for sharing your results with the Kingston 2133MHz RAM. It will be interesting to see how 2133/CL11 compares with 1866/CL10, if anyone is inclined to do a Geekbench test.

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
Looking forward to when there is AI in this forum so that when it's obvious someone hasn't read the thread their posts are automatically hidden.

The memory does run at different frequencies and CL delays as proven by 25% increases in benchmark results, no need to suffer a boot into Windows

Alesc

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2014
France
Looking forward to when there is AI in this forum so that when it's obvious someone hasn't read the thread their posts are automatically hidden.

The memory does run at different frequencies and CL delays as proven by 25% increases in benchmark results, no need to suffer a boot into Windows
I've red the entire thread, and I haven't seen one benchmark run with the same amount of RAM and different timings/frequencies.
Off course the results are best with 16 GB than with 8 GB...
And even if the memory runs at 2133 MHz, 25% increase is not possible...

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
The benchmarks we're referring to are programs that primarily read and write from memory, with results measured in GB/second. There are not too many computations in real programs that are limited by the speed of memory, but if memory is 25% faster then these computations run 25% faster. Amount of RAM installed (8GB or 16GB) does not affect these tests because they use far less than 8GB. I hope you find someone to take the other side of that bet.

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2009
i've bought and received 2 16GB-kits made by Crucial yesterday. Installed them and it works just fine. 32GB on the riMac :cool:

Curious as I too am about to buy an iMac 27" since i understand its easy to install the Ram itself and since i have never bought it before, what sort of price difference are you looking at, rather than having Apple install it?

And besides the price, is there anything about quality, etc?
I keep seeing people mention this "Crucial"

Not yet sure if this is a manufacturer or a online website but will go look that up now.
But rather than my looking up the wrong Ram, I thought maybe someone here could tell me what the price difference would be, and whether it is worth just doing it yourself later through this "Crucial" you all mention?

I understand benchmarks say this and that......still trying to understand fully all this bench mark stuff :)

T.IA.

Last but not least, what kind of work are you doing to need 32Ram?
Video editing, games, etc?

EDIT:

Im in Toronto and wonder if Crucial is available to me here?

----------

IF I read this correctly, this 16gig, costs $129
yet upgrading from apple, from 8 gigs to 16gigs costs $200, correct?

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
I want proof.

You guys are kidding, right? Like I would just make this stuff up and post it on the internet. Is that what you are in the habit of doing?

Here's the Geekbench score for my iMac after upgrading it with 1866/CL10 RAM on 10/30:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/1144587

If you compare it to other un-upgraded scores you can see that the Memory Performance tests at the bottom are improved by about 25%.

If this is still too mysterious I can explain it further, but like I said it feels a little like I'm being trolled.

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
You guys are kidding, right? Like I would just make this stuff up and post it on the internet. Is that what you are in the habit of doing?

Here's the Geekbench score for my iMac after upgrading it with 1866/CL10 RAM on 10/30:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/1144587

If you compare it to other un-upgraded scores you can see that the Memory Performance tests at the bottom are improved by about 25%.

If this is still too mysterious I can explain it further, but like I said it feels a little like I'm being trolled.

I for one believe you and see the improvements from your other post. Based on this I'm thinking of trying the Kingston 2133MHz CL11 to see if there is another bump. I'm still waiting on my system but once I have it I'll be happy to post results of this memory.

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2009
I think I walked into the wrong thread

In any event, no need to answer my question about the price of RAM as i just watched an unboxing vide of the R-27" iMac and he speaks f the crucial ram and the prices and I am rather shocked at the difference

Thanks for this thread. I now know not to buy through Apple :p

CuteBaby

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2010
First there was mention of the 1866, and now the 2133.

Is the 2133 the highest for the riMac? If not, what is?

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
First there was mention of the 1866, and now the 2133.

Is the 2133 the highest for the riMac? If not, what is?

Not that I can find for a iMac. I believe the ones that are faster require 1.65 volts and I don't believe that's available in the iMac.

iczster

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Upgraded to 24GB no problem, purchased from the UK Crucial site, so far so good.

Got 16GB for £117 too, so much cheaper just going with the 8GB stock and doing it yourself.

Jason_G

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
London, UK
What are the heat issues at 1866? Fans kicking in more?

That's something I hadn't considered, despite the low voltage, should there be any concerns of over heating/fans going nuts etc when getting faster than 1600MHz for these new iMacs?

Thanks all, I think this may be the UK equivalent?..has anyone used this in their new riMac?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DSGLM...olid=34Z7FASZQEQUC&coliid=I5B2KYSDGYPAV&psc=1

Cheers

I expect to get my iMac this week (a month after ordering!), so it's decision time in the next day or so. Has anyone got/used the above in their new iMacs?

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
That's something I hadn't considered, despite the low voltage, should there be any concerns of over heating/fans going nuts etc when getting faster than 1600MHz for these new iMacs?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I expect to get my iMac this week (a month after ordering!), so it's decision time in the next day or so. Has anyone got/used the above in their new iMacs?

Well, w/ the heat issue in the back of my mind, and the minimal noticeable performance gains I opted to play it safe. Got a screaming Cyber Monday deal so ordered up 32GB of these low voltage@1600.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B008LTBJFW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

My machine hasn't arrived yet but I wanted these here ready to go for the first boot.

Jason_G

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
London, UK
Hi, I'm in the UK waiting for delivery of my riMac:

4.0GHz QC i7 Turboboost 4.4GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
512GB Flash Storage
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5

I want to remove the stock RAM and put in 32Gb RAM, so I was going to buy 2 of these until I started reading this thread:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A15KH8GEK4WQL1

I wanted to future proof this purchase as much as possible so I was interested in the option of going for the 1866 MHz RAM instead.

I think I've found equivalent in the UK of Crucial Ballistix Sport SODIMM 16GB Kit

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/BLS2C8G3N18AES4CEU?IMODULE=BLS2C8G3N18AES4CEU

Does this look like it's the same thing and going to work etc?

Anyone found this/using 1866 MHz RAM in their riMac in the UK?

Thanks in advance.

Ended up going with the safe option in the end, it's absolutely flying!..I think I'll be happy with what I have for some time!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A15KH8GEK4WQL1

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007

ahh.. the fly in the ointment. the monkey wrench. the "but . . ". Yes, that could be potentially a spoiler, but I'm not convinced that there is much to see here by upping specs on the ram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.