Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
I use DuckDuckGo as my default at home but I find myself reverting to google for some stuff, which I actually really hate. I wish that other companies would step it up because I really don't like relying on Google for things as private as email and searching.

Google is really good if you are looking for 'technical' results.

Bing is actually really good for everything else.
I would challenge everyone to switch to Bing for 3 months without deviation.
After 3 months go back to Google. See which one is better.

A lot of it is preconceived notions.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
All search engines have their flaws, I usually use DuckDuckGo as I will get the same results as everyone else (and not filtered to my usual habits), I also use Bing sometimes, I like the beautiful pictures on their front page, I also find that Bing doesn't censor my result anywhere near as much as Google does. Google is my last resort, it is good when you need to narrow your search in terms of country of origin, time published etc.
Google certainly is overrated, and it would be good to see their share of the market decline, competition is good for the consumer.

chugg

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Is anyone still using Google for search?

It's time for Apple to drop them.

That depends. If you're asking MacRumors, then everyone here uses Bing and Safari (lol). If you're asking normal, everyday people who don't make stupid decisions based on aligning themselves with corporations, then yeah pretty much everyone uses Google.

Seaserpent

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2014
Pattaya
I been using Duck Duck Go for about six months and I do prefer DDG over all the other search engines, not having to scroll thru a load of ads, find what i've been looking for right there at the top.

Mystic386

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
Once in a blue moon I do a search to see which search engine searches better.

Today's search;

How does a MRI work?

My rating

Google 9/10

Yahoo 4/10

Bing 5/10

Google just gives me what I actually want.

And also I now know the basics of MRI. Who'd have thought it was about aligning hydrogen atoms and then measuring how long they take to return to their normal position. Interesting.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal

Today's search;

How does a MRI work?

My rating

Google 9/10

Yahoo 4/10

Bing 5/10

And also I now know the basics of MRI. Who'd have thought it was about aligning hydrogen atoms and then measuring how long they take to return to their normal position. Interesting.

My own rating, Google returns what's good for Google 100% of the time and then if accidentally the real answer is not Google related... You get that too. That's it. BTW, I've used Google as main main search engine since early 99... So, its not like I hate them or anything. I Find that they're more and more useless as time goes on.

----------

That depends. If you're asking MacRumors, then everyone here uses Bing and Safari (lol). If you're asking normal, everyday people who don't make stupid decisions based on aligning themselves with corporations, then yeah pretty much everyone uses Google.

Right... Just like everyone uses Microsoft or Android (according to IDC at least...). Obviously that makes them "good". Guess you think One Direction is a bitching band too ;-).

Seaserpent

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2014
Pattaya

Today's search;

How does a MRI work?

My rating

Google 9/10

Yahoo 4/10

Bing 5/10

And so did DDG... Without ads.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

Today's search;

How does a MRI work?

My rating

Google 9/10

Yahoo 4/10

Bing 5/10

Google's top result (for me, remember, Google is an engine that puts you in a bubble) is a research paper. Not very useful. DuckDuckGo's first result (for everyone, they don't put you in a bubble) is the MRI page on HowStuffWorks.com. Much better.

I find it a bit annoying when people mention Yahoo or Bing but leave off the only engine that's actually worth switching to. Better UI. Better results. No tracking. No bubble. Faster. The biggest hurdle to switching is just taking ~48 hours to get used to the different layout. I actually feel a bit lost now when I look at messy Google results now.

----------

DDG is okay. I use it occasionally. But all the DDG advocates never seem to ask themselves the question (and latest tech meme): Can they put on big boy pants? This isn't a popularity contest. It's Pay to Play. I don't think they have the finances to play with the big boys. This new deal will probably go for $1.5-2 Billion a year minimum over a 5 year period.

So it's okay to like DDG, but cold hard reality says they have a better chance of being acquired by Apple than supplying it's search engine. For the record, I would hate that idea. I want DDG to remain independent.

That's an interesting idea... it never occurred to me that Apple might buy DDG.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I've always hated that word used in this sense.."court." It makes it sound like some kind of dirty ritual.

I guess it could also mean they're taking them out to dinner...

Why does courting have to be a dirty ritual?

----------

And so did DDG... Without ads.

I like DDG out of the three. I set up Safari to default to DDG. However, on Chrome it defaults to Google search.

----------

Google's top result (for me, remember, Google is an engine that puts you in a bubble) is a research paper. Not very useful. DuckDuckGo's first result (for everyone, they don't put you in a bubble) is the MRI page on HowStuffWorks.com. Much better.

I find it a bit annoying when people mention Yahoo or Bing but leave off the only engine that's actually worth switching to. Better UI. Better results. No tracking. No bubble. Faster. The biggest hurdle to switching is just taking ~48 hours to get used to the different layout. I actually feel a bit lost now when I look at messy Google results now.

----------

I wouldn't mind Apple buying DDG. The privacy thing is consistent with Apple's MO. Plus more people would use it simply because it is Apple.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
Every time I've used Bing or Yahoo, I got frustrated. The results are always way down at the bottom of the page of what I was looking for while Google was no more than #3 down the page.

Mashurrab

macrumors regular
May 30, 2014
Petty this will come in the last page

i use DuckDuckGo/Yandex and is as good as Google. And praise can not be more than that in search world.

In some cases I found something faster than Google :eek:

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
I reckon Apple will either switch to using DuckDuckGo/Yandex or buy out DuckDuckGo/Yandex but maintain the philosophy and policy!

Has anyone else switched to using this search engine recently, I really can't fault it and might not be quite as good as google but beats yahoo/bing in my opinion.

DuckDuckGO is being run by 2 guys in a basement. With that said Apple could create their own and be done with it

rendyr

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
Oh great, now my father need to go search for google in bing rather than search in bing.

Actually, I find bing quite okay, but not even close to google accuracy.

I don't mind the change if user can change it by themselves.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

I only mentioned it as a greater possibility than DDG winning a bid for Apple's default search engine. They just don't have the funds to play in that arena. They are small enough to be acquired though. I sincerely hope that never happens. DDG is fine as an agnostic search engine.

I wouldn't mind Apple buying DDG. The privacy thing is consistent with Apple's MO. Plus more people would use it simply because it is Apple.

Not a fan of this idea. Apple has a habit of buying stuff and making it proprietary. DDG doesn't need to be a part of any ecosystem. DDG is a good idea nicely implemented. No need for it to become part of Apple's vision of how things should be. They should continue to blaze their own trail.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Dam it....

If Apple is so great why must they use a search engine for the back-end like Bing for Siri results....

Now Apple uses Duck-Duck-Go they could easily make Siri the same, if they cared enough about transparency.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Eww. I'm sticking with Google. I've tried and tried to use Bing and Yahoo and they're both inaccurate and horrible.

Elno

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2014
Even my Granddaughter knows

When we tell her that we don't know smothing she says (she is four) "Google it" :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.