Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Hi All!
Will try to be brief... In my search for the most storage for photo/video that is easiest to share between about a dozen devices throughout different parts of the US and Europr, I have landed on Flickr, which provides 1TB free storage. That should take me a good long time to fill.

What I like is an auto upload feature. Previously we were using drop box and that just has a bubble alert every time there is a photo on your camera roll that hasn't yet been uploaded. You open the App, they upload one by one until you eventually reach zero.

My confusion is that Flickr has no such notification. I am assuming that it isn't uploading unless the app is launched, right? But there is also no sign of an upload in progress. How do I know that all of the photos I am taking are being uploaded without scouring them?

We are essentially uploading from three different devices, all iPhones, to one account which is shared with other family members. As mentioned, drop bx was great because it gave each device an indicator as to how many photos it still need to "catch up on".

Appreciate any help in advance!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Tbh I don't get it either and I've been using it for a year. It never indicates that anything is actually uploading and when I check back days later the pics I even deleted from my phone already are suddenly in the auto uploaded folder on Flickr

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Tbh I don't get it either and I've been using it for a year. It never indicates that anything is actually uploading and when I check back days later the pics I even deleted from my phone already are suddenly in the auto uploaded folder on Flickr

LOL. Well, glad I am not the only one who doesn;t quite understand.

I set them to only upload over wifi. What I don't know is whether I need to be opening the app from time to time.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
So it would seem that it does indeed upload without any user input. I don't even have to load the app. I just have to be on wifi. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to do videos. I have to manually upload those, unless there's a setting in missing.
IFTTT has a Flickr channel

What is ifttt?

Edit: looked it up but I don't see the relevance

Nancy bout

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2013
I don't auto upload I only upload what I pick.
I like ever album and Google + as well as shoebox

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I don't auto upload I only upload what I pick.
I like ever album and Google + as well as shoebox

Google + doesn;t seem to upload automatically, and there is the fact that I need to give those who want to be pushing their photos to my album my login info. Ever album is $10 a month for full quality. Flickr seems to preserve quality 100%. My only niggle is with videos... it has the capability to do video but it doesn't auto upload. Strange.

I need something super user friendly, preferably with no user input. Flickr seems to do that after having used it for a couple of days. My mom wants to see all of the pictures my wife and I take as well as be able to upload pics without really doing a whole lot.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Flickr seems to preserve quality 100%. My only niggle is with videos... it has the capability to do video but it doesn't auto upload. Strange.

The difference is Flickr doesn't want to be a video service. They've stated the only reason they even support video is to handle the case of a "moving photograph" where a still image simply wouldn't capture the moment. They don't do anything to enforce that, but I'm sure that's why they don't support auto-upload on videos.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The difference is Flickr doesn't want to be a video service. They've stated the only reason they even support video is to handle the case of a "moving photograph" where a still image simply wouldn't capture the moment. They don't do anything to enforce that, but I'm sure that's why they don't support auto-upload on videos.

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

So... what would constitute as a "moving photograph"? Bursts don't upload as anything but sepparate pictures (unlike google plus where they actually are viewable like a low fps video).

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

So... what would constitute as a "moving photograph"? Bursts don't upload as anything but sepparate pictures (unlike google plus where they actually are viewable like a low fps video).

Well, here's the Flickr team's thoughts in their own words: http://blog.flickr.net/en/2008/04/09/video-on-flickr-2/

Like I said, though, it's not enforced, I think it's just how they see people using it, which presumably leads to decisions like what you see with not auto-uploading videos.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Well, here's the Flickr team's thoughts in their own words: http://blog.flickr.net/en/2008/04/09/video-on-flickr-2/

Like I said, though, it's not enforced, I think it's just how they see people using it, which presumably leads to decisions like what you see with not auto-uploading videos.

Interesting. Thanks for the link. I thought I had a few videos longer than 90 seconds. Maybe that is just limited to sharing 90 seconds? I will have to take a look.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Interesting. Thanks for the link. I thought I had a few videos longer than 90 seconds. Maybe that is just limited to sharing 90 seconds? I will have to take a look.

I think I heard they've upped the limit to 3 minutes since they wrote that. I haven't personally tested the bounds, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.