Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I apologize if this is a dumb question and has already been answered somewhere in this long thread. I went to the apple store and purchased an A1549 Iphone 6 yesterday. From my understanding in some of the replies, they were able to just install a SIM from ATT, T-Mobile or Sprint and the phone would work. I placed a nano Sprint SIM in this phone and I couldn't place a call, also "SIM failure" was displayed on the phone screen. I told them specifically that I needed to purchase the "unlocked" version and no contract. Which is what I was given (So I believe) Am I missing something here? Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

If I'm not mistaken, Sprint does not work on any unlocked models (AT&T/T-Mo/Verizon; A1549). You will need the Sprint model A1586 for the Sprint to work. Of course Sprint iphone is locked to their carrier and won't be unlocked for domestic use.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
If I'm not mistaken, Sprint does not work on any unlocked models (AT&T/T-Mo/Verizon; A1549). You will need the Sprint model A1586 for the Sprint to work. Of course Sprint iphone is locked to their carrier and won't be unlocked for domestic use.

Yup

Brewc

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2014
SouthWestern Virginia
A little different question, since my 5s is now off contract and unlocked from AT&T how would I go about getting a Verizon prepaid sim to use it in, when I go to areas without AT&T?

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
A little different question, since my 5s is now off contract and unlocked from AT&T how would I go about getting a Verizon prepaid sim to use it in, when I go to areas without AT&T?

Sorry, a non-Verizon iPhone 5S won't be activated on Verizon's network.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Verizon

Sorry, a non-Verizon iPhone 5S won't be activated on Verizon's network.

This is precisely the reason to get the Verizon unlocked phone vs the Tmobile version. Problem is the ONLY way to get this off contract (not currently on Verizon) is to walk into an Apple store and purchase there and walk out. Then pop in you sim of choice, for me ATT. (excluding Sprint)

CC

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
iPhone 6 Plus Verizon is Unlocked!

This is precisely the reason to get the Verizon unlocked phone vs the Tmobile version. Problem is the ONLY way to get this off contract (not currently on Verizon) is to walk into an Apple store and purchase there and walk out. Then pop in you sim of choice, for me ATT. (excluding Sprint)

CC

This apples to the iPhone 5S.

iceninetx

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2013
I just called the store and she said the would not sell me a full retail Verizon 6 because it's "locked." I didn't try and argue that point with her, but was worried they would not sell me one.

Is it just a matter of finding the right salesperson? I think that is how it was with the 5s.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I just called the store and she said the would not sell me a full retail Verizon 6 because it's "locked." I didn't try and argue that point with her, but was worried they would not sell me one.

Is it just a matter of finding the right salesperson? I think that is how it was with the 5s.

Order from Verizon's website. I posted a threaded with instructions how to buy one full price without Verizon service.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011

You are better off walking to the Apple store and say you are looking to buy the Verizon model. Once they bring out the model you want, just tell them that you want to buy it outright.

You shouldn't have issues with this. I didn't have any issues and they didn't give me any hard time buying the verizon outright when I am on AT&T.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I pop in my free 250 mb a month T-Mobile ipad nano sim into my iphone 6 plus. Works great. Can't make calls, but in a pinch if I am nearing my 2GB monthly limit, I can swap sims and use iPhone 6 Plus like an iPad with data only.

Europa13

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
So any GSM carrier's active GSM card can activate a Verizon iPhone 6? Do you get the "Congratulations, your phone is unlocked" popup in iTunes every time you restore just like you get with a factory unlocked iPhone?

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
So any GSM carrier's active GSM card can activate a Verizon iPhone 6? Do you get the "Congratulations, your phone is unlocked" popup in iTunes every time you restore just like you get with a factory unlocked iPhone?

No bc it's already gsm unlocked from the get go

Europa13

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
No bc it's already gsm unlocked from the get go
So you're with AT&T or T-Mobile and have restored a Verizon LTE iPhone and are certain you don't get that popup in iTunes upon restoring? iPhones that have been GSM-unlocked by AT&T or are sold factory unlocked from Apple give you that message in iTunes when you restore. What it means is that any GSM SIM can activate the phone. If you don't get that message in iTunes when you restore, it might mean it requires an active Verizon account to activate it. I'm pretty sure any SIM can activate it since it's unlocked, but I'm not certain which is why I'm asking for confirmation from someone with AT&T or T-Mobile.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Evidence?
Multiple forum posts from people who have put an already active Verizon SIM into a non-Verizon iPhone 6.

AFAIK, you still can't activate a new Verizon SIM in a non-Verizon iPhone 6, but swapping an already active one in seems to work.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
So you're with AT&T or T-Mobile and have restored a Verizon LTE iPhone and are certain you don't get that popup in iTunes upon restoring? iPhones that have been GSM-unlocked by AT&T or are sold factory unlocked from Apple give you that message in iTunes when you restore. What it means is that any GSM SIM can activate the phone. If you don't get that message in iTunes when you restore, it might mean it requires an active Verizon account to activate it. I'm pretty sure any SIM can activate it since it's unlocked, but I'm not certain which is why I'm asking for confirmation from someone with AT&T or T-Mobile.

U don't even have to restore. There's no activation needed from a Verizon account. It's literally swap and go. I didn't get the message from iTunes. Didn't need it.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Can I just confirm with everyone, if I buy a Verizon phone at full price from Apple store, I can put in my T-mobile sim card and it will work right away? Is that right?

I am thinking of returning my 16GB one for a 64GB, but no Apple stores in my area the 64GB available, but everyone has 64GB Verizon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.