Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ikaka

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
I deleted catalyst to install the beta drivers but now I can't install either the beta or the "normal" driver. Had the same issue when I tried to update the drivers. It downloaded fine and the installation went through but the driver where never installed. Any ideas? Now I'm stuck with the generic display driver.

You can get a working driver from the bootcamp flash drive with all Apple drivers.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
any one with 295x played COD Advance warfare (the latest call of duty) in multiplayer at 1440p at high ? how it plays? has at least 40 fps?

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
after checking out barefeats and various threads here I am not buying a 5k. First generation GPU woes. Though I will admit the screen sure looks incredible, reminds me of the day when VGA displays came out, the comparison to the previous was staggering

Georgio

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Essex, UK
after checking out barefeats and various threads here I am not buying a 5k. First generation GPU woes. Though I will admit the screen sure looks incredible, reminds me of the day when VGA displays came out, the comparison to the previous was staggering

Very wise; wait until they refresh the model which hopefully should be around April/May next year.

Frozone9

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2014
Zürich, Switzerland
When people start cooking their GPU's and complaining they will have to do something about it.
Have You heart anything that any iMac got burned. No. And to bring a new update in half a Year they need to start planing it ahead. So I am quite confident to say that their won't be any upgrades in next half year.

ikaka

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
Have You heart anything that any iMac got burned. No. And to bring a new update in half a Year they need to start planing it ahead. So I am quite confident to say that their won't be any upgrades in next half year.

Totally right. Again R9 200 series was built to work at high temperatures. It was meant to run at 100C! Just read up the technical info on the series.

There will not be any refresh for at LEAST a year.

pizzapappa

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
I'm having some trouble updating my graphics driver for the m295x in windows. I download the latest driver from amd and the installation goes through just fine. The thing I that the new driver never seem to install and it's still running of the old bootcamp driver. I tried to uninstall the old drivers but then the new one still doesn't install...

Anyone have any ideas?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I'm having some trouble updating my graphics driver for the m295x in windows. I download the latest driver from amd and the installation goes through just fine. The thing I that the new driver never seem to install and it's still running of the old bootcamp driver. I tried to uninstall the old drivers but then the new one still doesn't install...

Anyone have any ideas?

I have noticed this too. On my mid 2012 rMBP it's a simple matter to update the Nvidia drivers off their website.

I really don't know what the problem is with AMD and the M295X drivers, this is a total guess but I wondered if AMD hadn't written in the 295 into their current version correctly.

pizzapappa

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
I have noticed this too. On my mid 2012 rMBP it's a simple matter to update the Nvidia drivers off their website.

I really don't know what the problem is with AMD and the M295X drivers, this is a total guess but I wondered if AMD hadn't written in the 295 into their current version correctly.

i read some other post on the forum where someone used the beta drivers... Hope that amd will release a fix soon.

vir3l

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2014
just letting you know here: I was one that returned the imac 5k to apple because of loud fan noise. now I got the imac 2013 with 4 gb. it runs completely silent while gaming with the same resolution. I'm so glad I gave mine back, now I can enjoy games again without heat and noise. hope apple fixes this in next generation.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
now I got the imac 2013 with 4 gb. it runs completely silent while gaming with the same resolution. I'm so glad I gave mine back, now I can enjoy games again without heat and noise.

But with lower frame rates.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Wrong.

The 780m and m295x have similar performance. The 295 is "better" but not enough to brag about. And if we're talking about at 1440p, the native res display will look sharper.

Thank you for your educated input. Benchmarks state otherwise.

vir3l

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2014
I'm gaming wow on ultra settings with ridiculous 60+ fps now in every dungeon with my late 2013 imac at max settings without noticing any fan activity on bootcamp like the previous poster. it looks better than the 5k and downsampling.

here's the summary for wow on bootcamp - I've owned both computers (imac 5k and imac 2013), so don't believe any specs or generic benchmarks.
- imac 5k m295x runs wow at 2560x1440 ultra with very loud fan, bad fps (20-30 fps), bad looking interpolation and gpu temp of 105C.
- imac late 2013 780m runs wow at 2560x1440 ultra without any fan noise and 60+ fps at ultra (!) settings with crisp graphics.

I'm aware that thermal paste application influences heat management and therefore throttling - so the above specs are my results.

as always, bootcamp is far better than mac os x gaming.

the new imac 5k is not made for gaming currently, accept it please and don't quote specs. the heat management and throttling of up to 50% makes the m295x a bad choise on apple's part, even if applied correctly it would be the better graphics card. just understand that a 30% better graphics card that is always running at 50% is never as good as one that always runs at 100%,

happy I returned mine to apple. I'm sure they'll come up with a solution for the imac 5k v2 next year.

until then, I see no need to own one for gaming purposes. for photographers/video editors it's the best device however.

Last edited:

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I'm gaming wow on ultra now with my late 2013 imac at max settings without noticing any fan activity on bootcamp like the previous poster. it looks better than the 5k and downsampling.

here's the summary for wow - I've owned both computers (imac 5k and imac 2013), so don't believe any specs or generic benchmarks.
- imac 5k m295x runs wow at 2560x1440 with very loud fan, bad fps (20+), bad looking interpolation and gpu temp of 105C.
- imac late 2013 780m runs wow at 2560x1440 without any fan noise and 60+ fps at ultra (!) settings with crisp graphics.

the new imac 5k is not made for gaming currently, accept it please and don't quote specs. the heat management and throttling is bad design on apple's part.

happy I returned mine to apple. I'm sure they'll come up with a solution for the imac 5k v2 next year.

until then, I see no need to own one for gaming purposes. for photographers/video editors it's the best device however.

Thanks for your feedback. I have been on the fence ever since the 5K iMac was released. I love the display on the 5k iMac, and I am keen photographer, so initially the machine appeared to ideal for WoW and for photography. However looking at the various threads, while the 5K iMac would be great for photography, it looks like it gets too hot for long WoW raiding sessions. WoW appears to run better under Windows, but I don't want to spend over £2k on a Mac to then have to run Windows and boot camp.

I don't like machines with high fan noise or have to put up with slightly blurry screens to downscale the resolution to boost frame rates.

It is disappointing that I am going to end up buying a machine with 2 year old technology, but I don't have any other options. The Mac Pro is over spec for what I need, and my present Retina 1st Gen Mac Book Pro struggles with WoW raiding. Yes a PC may be a better choice for gaming, but I don't intend to buy a PC just for playing WoW.

platzypus

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
I'm gaming wow on ultra settings with ridiculous 60+ fps now in every dungeon with my late 2013 imac at max settings without noticing any fan activity on bootcamp like the previous poster. it looks better than the 5k and downsampling.

here's the summary for wow on bootcamp - I've owned both computers (imac 5k and imac 2013), so don't believe any specs or generic benchmarks.
- imac 5k m295x runs wow at 2560x1440 ultra with very loud fan, bad fps (20-30 fps), bad looking interpolation and gpu temp of 105C.
- imac late 2013 780m runs wow at 2560x1440 ultra without any fan noise and 60+ fps at ultra (!) settings with crisp graphics.

Thanks for this; but what about playing WoW on the Mac OS? Are those stats any indication of how the game would perform on the native OS in both iMac 5k and 2013?

It is disappointing that I am going to end up buying a machine with 2 year old technology, but I don't have any other options.

Is the iMac 2013 (ignoring the date of release) really 2 year old technology?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.