Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slimmyhendrix

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
MN
Arsenal typical defense just pushing too far forward. Something no team can do when facing Rooney (or Diego costa or Suarez).
Sad loss, and bummer for England also loosing Wilshire.
First away win for MU and first home loss for Arsenal.
Very unfortunate poor sportsmanship by both teams in OT. But pretty typical from MU

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings

Attachments

• Giggsvieira.jpg
    Giggsvieira.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 47

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
Friendly of Women Germany vs England will be streamed here:
http://tv.dfb.de/video/england-gegen-deutschland-live-auf-dfb-tv/9972/
Sunday, 16 o'clock (German time, though they are playing in London ;) ).

Interesting will be to see, if the tactics and playing style changes for England have integrated well enough until now and will result in something.

55.000 tickets are sold. BBC had launched a few interviews (with German players, too).

EDIT: only available in Germany. BBC-2 will broadcast it, though!
Further info http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29789889

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Arsenal typical defense just pushing too far forward. Something no team can do when facing Rooney (or Diego costa or Suarez).
Sad loss, and bummer for England also loosing Wilshire.
First away win for MU and first home loss for Arsenal.
Very unfortunate poor sportsmanship by both teams in OT. But pretty typical from MU

well, they hate each other.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Friendly of Women Germany vs England will be streamed here:
http://tv.dfb.de/video/england-gegen-deutschland-live-auf-dfb-tv/9972/
Sunday, 16 o'clock (German time, though they are playing in London ;) ).

Interesting will be to see, if the tactics and playing style changes for England have integrated well enough until now and will result in something.

55.000 tickets are sold. BBC had launched a few interviews (with German players, too).

Went to the game yesterday - England were too hesitant in the first half and paid for it by conceding 3 soft goals. Much better in the second half, but I think it shows that England Ladies aren't ready to eat at the very top table yet.

Definitely making progress and far better than when Hope Powell was in charge but a long way to go yet.

On the plus side, 45,000 people (don't know what happened to the other 10,000 who bought tickets!) in Wembley to watch a Women's football match is a great achievement and it was a good day out :)

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
the only thing more funny than jack wilshere headbutting fellaini (which he should have gotten a red card for anyway) was fellainis reaction. if he fell down, the red card would have been out for sure.

di marias miss was pathetic, i don't care they were up 2-0 in extra time. paid so much money for him

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
Went to the game yesterday - England were too hesitant in the first half and paid for it by conceding 3 soft goals. Much better in the second half, but I think it shows that England Ladies aren't ready to eat at the very top table yet.

Definitely making progress and far better than when Hope Powell was in charge but a long way to go yet.

On the plus side, 45,000 people (don't know what happened to the other 10,000 who bought tickets!) in Wembley to watch a Women's football match is a great achievement and it was a good day out :)
Maybe it was to rainy for those 10.000 :D or tickets that went as a gift to certain people, for advertising. But 10.000 less, is huge.

I saw it via lifestream (though I had to do stuff besides it) and found, too, England was much nicer to watch than before. (Haven't seen any of their qualification matches this year, though, which they closed clearly 1st rank, as I heard). Will be interesting in which group they get in 2015, with 16 starters for the first time, they won't be under the first that have to go, even if other teams have improved, too.

Talking about WC 2015, about (I think it was) 40 players have filed an official protest and a case for the court, because the WC will be played on artifical grass and they argue, that this was against FIFAs equaity rules. Apperently 2 Mexican and 2 French player has withdrawn from the list. TV rumored, that FIFA officials were involved.

Anyway...

I heard, that Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and ManCity have started to put more money into their women's division and further professionalising it, including regular blood tests etc. Also they said Liverpool now has "mixed gendered" breakfasts before some major matches and Steven Gerard even watched some of the Liverpool women games.
They do that "we are one big family" team building stuff at VfL Wolfsburg for two years now, too. Some men players visit the women CL matches and the men's management and coach visit CL and DFB-cup matches of the women's division - and vice versa. The women also got a new bigger stadium (together with the 2nd men's division) after winning CL and DFB cup twice. (At Bayern, e.g., only the women visit men's matches, they get free entrance, but women's family members still have to pay! But as a plus Bayern is building up their own bred youngsters more and more, just like they used to and still do with the men's A-team.)

A lot seems to happen.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Apart from Chelsea, which may be the least English club in England, the Greatest League in the World isn't looking so great at the moment, particularly in Europe.

EDIT: City are bailed out by Aguero, but Bayern with 10 men look as good as Man City with 11. If Bayern finished that game with 11 they would have won it for sure.

Last edited:

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Some redemption for English teams but City still look set for the exit than the next stage. Aguero again single-handedly dragging City forward. They're lucky he is managing to stay fit or they'd be dead and buried.

Meanwhile Chelsea go marching on and remain unbeaten.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Been busy with school.

Re United; Best performance so far. And on another day it'd be game over by HT. Kinda wish the return fixture was sooner rather than in May.

Anyway, still naive defensively. Fullbacks bomb forward and leave Le Short and Le Slow exposed. Hence vulnerable to breaks. No discipline and organisation and panic after a goal down. I thought the issue was somewhat addressed against LFC in the FA Cup last season where they were more compact but seems old habits die hard. Players need to start looking at themselves.

But at the end of the day, only 2pts off CL places and still many games left. And from what i saw last weekend, i don't really feel threatened by United.

Title is gone for everyone else except City/Chelsea. Its CL places and the cups now which is depressingly boring but...it is what it is.

On another note, quite a few people are gunning for Wenger, Usmanov got the ball rolling, Mancini batting his eyes and Klopp putting himself on the market. Brendan's position also looking precarious.

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Title is gone for everyone else except City/Chelsea. Its CL places and the cups now which is depressingly boring but...it is what it is.

I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future. Even if Man Utd get their act together and start challenging, that will just be a return to the last 20 years of monotony.

Liverpool are going nowhere fast at the moment. I don't know where FSG's limit is on Rogers, so I won't even speculate. But obviously missing out on a top four position (and I consider that almost certain) will be a blow. We have several expensive forwards and none are fit and/or productive. The defense remains poor. Gerrard needs to be dropped. Liverpool need a new Mascherano/Alonso in midfield.

Wenger won't go unless he wants to. With that being said I also feel like Arsenal will not win much if anything as long as he remains manager. They will make money, play good football and always make it to Europe...but they won't win things. Wenger seems to have found a certain level and the team will never rise above or fall below it under him.

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
A tough 2-2 draw against European giants Ludogorets. :rolleyes: Lambert is showing some fight, but comedy goals keep coming. The whole defensive half of the squad is a shambles. Liverpool can still progress if they win their next match - luckily for Liverpool, everyone in the group apart from Real have lost three matches. It's worth it for the money but competitively Liverpool are miles off the pace.

I suppose there is enough time between the end of the group stage and the beginning of the knockout stage for Liverpool to turn their form around, but, realistically, that's not likely.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
So, Liverpool win...but so do Man Utd and Arsenal, so its just treading water.

It's slightly satisfying since the Pulis-era Stoke always managed to frustrate Liverpool.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Steve Bruce seems a good football manager, but he is an absolute doormat for Man Utd. I had to look up the stats and was shocked to learn that out of 20 meetings before today his teams have actually had the gall to fail to lose against Man Utd 4 times.

i'm sure it is only an oversight on your part...

Not at all, but I wouldn't want to rob you of the chance to make the announcement yourself. ;)

Last edited:

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Southampton sussed out today. City did their homework and did a professional job on them despite the refs efforts.

Can they recover at the Emirates I wonder, or is the natural order beginning to re-emerge.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Southampton sussed out today. City did their homework and did a professional job on them despite the refs efforts.

Can they recover at the Emirates I wonder, or is the natural order beginning to re-emerge.

While this is very true, I think that even you will agree that at the beginning of the season everybody expected Southampton to be down and out.

Plus given the cost of Manchester City squad I would say that the result was not that surprising.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
City may be good enough to beat Southampton but they still look terrible in Europe.

It's also worth pointing out that what Southampton have done so far is more or less a miracle in the modern game.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
While this is very true, I think that even you will agree that at the beginning of the season everybody expected Southampton to be down and out.

Plus given the cost of Manchester City squad I would say that the result was not that surprising.

Agreed. part of me wanted S'oton to be a miracle surprise this season (and they yet may be) but you just get the feeling the honeymoon period is slowly coming to an end.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
hmmp!

i'm sure it is only an oversight on your part but THE MASSIVE SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY Also won!

:D

Good to see Stevie May getting on the scoresheet as well! Strange to read reports of Stuart Gray's job being under threat considering we've only lost 4 games all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.