Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HLxDrummer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2014
This won't be very long because I don't have a ton to say about it but feel free to ask any questions you may have.

My use for the iPad. Of course I will use it around the house, but the primary reason I bought it is to carry around the hospital during my clerkships. It will reside in a white coat pocket while I am walking around all day/bumping into people and things/possibly get dropped/have other things in the same pocket/etc.

I originally was going to go with a case such as the Khomo on Amazon for $15. I definitely wanted something to cover the screen when not in use in case I drop it/something smacked against it/etc. I also wanted something to go around the actual iPad to protect it from drops. I liked the idea of a hard case so it would evenly distribute the force of the fall instead of flexing the iPad and causing the screen to crack. I also liked the idea of a soft/gel case to absorb some of the impact.

I thought a TPU case could be the best of both worlds, but it seemed more like the worst of both. Not rigid enough to evenly distribute the force, but not thick/soft enough to absorb impact.

The Khomo essentially has a hard case back so I wasn't sure what to think of it.

Then I came across the Speck Durafolio. It has a layer of hard plastic and a layer of rubber. Best of both worlds. It also has a built in stand (goes a bunch of ways), looks good, covers the screen, and is reasonably priced. Feels good in the hand and it isn't too thick. I feel pretty safe having the iPad in this case.

The only thing I don't really like is that it isn't the lightest case out there. Altogether it is still lighter than my original Kindle Fire with Khomo style case, but the Durafolio definitely adds some weight.

Lastly, when the cover is flipped to the back so I can hold it like a magazine, it is a little annoying having the cover back there. This may get better as the case wears in, however.

I got the case in black shipped for $45 through Amazon Prime. $30 more than the Khomo. But if it protects my $370 investment better, it is worth it.

Again, let me know if you have any questions.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Lastly, when the cover is flipped to the back so I can hold it like a magazine, it is a little annoying having the cover back there. This may get better as the case wears in, however.

I'm thinking of getting a iPad mini 2 and this case has risen to the top of my short list as a possible case for it. The one aspect of it that all of the reviews I've seen ignore (except yours) is folding the cover completely back. When it's folded back like that does the magnet hold it in place or does it flap around if you don't hold it in place? You mentioned that it's annoying in this position, how so, and did it get better with wear in? After 5 months has your overall opinion changed any? Thanks.

HLxDrummer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2014
The magnet does not hold the cover back. There is a magnet so the entire flap doesn't flop around (the part that opens up to act as a stand) but the magazine type cover thing flops around. Sorry if that is confusing..

It's not that annoying just kind of thick. If the case was a little thinner and lighter while offering the same protection it would be perfect. However I am still using it because I can't afford to break my $400 device.

I would get the thickness of the case online, subtract the iPad thickness from that and you will see how much bulk it adds. You can stack some cardboard or paper behind your iPad to simulate the thickness. You can look at my previous post to see how much heavier it is. As I mentioned I still like the case but it adds some heft and thickness.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
The magnet does not hold the cover back. There is a magnet so the entire flap doesn't flop around (the part that opens up to act as a stand) but the magazine type cover thing flops around. Sorry if that is confusing..

It's not that annoying just kind of thick. If the case was a little thinner and lighter while offering the same protection it would be perfect. However I am still using it because I can't afford to break my $400 device.

I would get the thickness of the case online, subtract the iPad thickness from that and you will see how much bulk it adds. You can stack some cardboard or paper behind your iPad to simulate the thickness. You can look at my previous post to see how much heavier it is. As I mentioned I still like the case but it adds some heft and thickness.

Thanks for taking the time from your hectic life to answer my question, I appreciate it.

I know what you mean about the magnet on the back panel, it holds the back of the cover in place when it's not being used as a stand but is not used to hold the cover in place when folded back. I also noticed the bulk of the case from the YouTube videos I've watched but I kind of figured that's the price you pay for that amount of protection.

If I get the iPad mini 2 I think I'd like to use it au naturel but at the same time wouldn't want it getting scratched up etc., so will probably end up with a cover or case of some sort. Since my primary uses will probably be email, web surfing and maybe some eBook reading I'd like any cover or case to be as unobtrusive as possible when used this way. Maybe my best bet would be a hard shell with a Apple Smart Cover (it's removable). I guess if I get the mini 2 and use it a bit I'll have a better idea of what I want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.