Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arv3n

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2010
Is there any way to get my video card to display a boot screen? Maybe some hackery to get it working? It's a:

MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 (N570GTX-M2D12D5/OC) 1.25 GB GDDR5 SDRAM PCI

revoid

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014
Mac Pro Not Booting up

Hi all. I recently bought an 8 core 2009 mac pro and flashed it to a 5,1 and current I have it running on 12 core. I'm currently on the default GT 120 nvidia graphics card so after much research, I went to purchase this EVGA GTX 780 card. I don't really need a top of the line graphics card for gaming. Just enough to do CUDA work on After Effects & hopefully Octane Renderer.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-3783-KR

And then I bought 2 of these 6 pin Wire Cables.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321573929781?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

After I installed the Nvidia Wed Drivers and rebooted the computer, I went ahead to plug in the new graphics card thinking it would work but sadly no.

Now I can't even switch on my mac pro. The EVGA 780 card is using 1 8pin and 1 6pin. I tried various ways, Each 6 pin Cable to each 6 pin plug on the card. I tried a dual 6pin adapter to 8 pin adapter provided by the card and that didn't work. Something is not right here. I can't even switch it on. Am I missing something? Only if I removed the 780 then I can switch on the mac pro.

Attachments

• IMG_4094.JPG
    IMG_4094.JPG
    413 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4095.JPG
    IMG_4095.JPG
    442.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4097.JPG
    IMG_4097.JPG
    431.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4098.JPG
    IMG_4098.JPG
    379.4 KB · Views: 83

romanboy

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2014
Hi all. I recently bought an 8 core 2009 mac pro and flashed it to a 5,1 and current I have it running on 12 core. I'm currently on the default GT 120 nvidia graphics card so after much research, I went to purchase this EVGA GTX 780 card. I don't really need a top of the line graphics card for gaming. Just enough to do CUDA work on After Effects & hopefully Octane Renderer.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-3783-KR

And then I bought 2 of these 6 pin Wire Cables.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321573929781?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

After I installed the Nvidia Wed Drivers and rebooted the computer, I went ahead to plug in the new graphics card thinking it would work but sadly no.

Now I can't even switch on my mac pro. The EVGA 780 card is using 1 8pin and 1 6pin. I tried various ways, Each 6 pin Cable to each 6 pin plug on the card. I tried a dual 6pin adapter to 8 pin adapter provided by the card and that didn't work. Something is not right here. I can't even switch it on. Am I missing something? Only if I removed the 780 then I can switch on the mac pro.

The 780 seems to draw around 110W when idle, and a max of 405W when at full load (Furmark), according to AnandTech.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6973/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review/19

When powering on, your draw is most likely nowhere near the 400W mark, however, the connectors from the main logic board may only provide 75W each. So that's two 75W, plus 150W from the PCI-e slot, makes 300W. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Can you try with a 750 card instead, or another 780?
You may need another power supply to power your 780. Again, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
The 780 seems to draw around 110W when idle, and a max of 405W when at full load (Furmark), according to AnandTech.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6973/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review/19

When powering on, your draw is most likely nowhere near the 400W mark, however, the connectors from the main logic board may only provide 75W each. So that's two 75W, plus 150W from the PCI-e slot, makes 300W. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Can you try with a 750 card instead, or another 780?
You may need another power supply to power your 780. Again, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

The 6 to 8s supplied with cards are meant for 2 @ 6 pins but will work for testing with only one.

The trick is that only one side works that way.

So try with it one way, then on other side.

revoid

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014
The 6 to 8s supplied with cards are meant for 2 @ 6 pins but will work for testing with only one.

The trick is that only one side works that way.

So try with it one way, then on other side.

Hmmmmm Still no luck dude. I might need to get a Sata to Pcie to see if this could work. :(

Xelx

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2014
I recently purchased a GTX 650 for my mac pro 1,1. Currently I have in the MP a gtx 630, 16 GB ram, 2 X 2.66, and SFOTT to run 10.9.5. I am running the 10.9.5 web drivers as well. when I install the 650 by itself the MP will boot, but will not output out of the DVI-D. when I install the X1900XT that came with the MP just to get to the desktop, the system profiler recognizes the card, but I can not get any output.

Is the 650 outputting to the DVI-I port or Mini HDMI?

Also when I put the 650 in slot 1 and the 630 in slot 3 neither will output to a display.

Thanks for all the help,
Xelx

revoid

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014
Finally managed to switch on my mac pro. Turns out one of the 6pin mac pro cable i bought from ebay was faulty. Currently one of the 6 pin is running of 2x 15pin Sata to Molex adapter. I can finally turn on my mac pro now however they can't seem to detect the GTX 780 though. I have installed the latest Nvidia Web Drivers though. Is there something else missing?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-26 at 10.50.51 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-26 at 10.50.51 pm.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 319

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Finally managed to switch on my mac pro. Turns out one of the 6pin mac pro cable i bought from ebay was faulty. Currently one of the 6 pin is running of 2x 15pin Sata to Molex adapter. I can finally turn on my mac pro now however they can't seem to detect the GTX 780 though. I have installed the latest Nvidia Web Drivers though. Is there something else missing?

The card will only be detected as 'NVidia GTX 780' if it has an Mac EFI firmware. However, with NVidia Web driver it is working at full speed.

Last edited:

revoid

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014
The card will only be detected as 'NVidia GTX 780' if it has an Mac EFI firmware. However, with NVidia Web driver it is working at full speed.

Are you sure its working at full speed? When i unplug the GT 120, I don't even see anything on my monitor. I'm pretty sure Mac is unable to detect the GTX 780

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Are you sure its working at full speed? When i unplug the GT 120, I don't even see anything on my monitor. I'm pretty sure Mac is unable to detect the GTX 780

Can you install and start CUDA-Z? What is the performance 'Host to Device' and 'Device to Host'?

revoid

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014
Can you install and start CUDA-Z? What is the performance 'Host to Device' and 'Device to Host'?

Hmmmm when I open Cuda-Z, it says Cuda not found. Also when i open adobe after effects, the whole mac just crashes and shuts down.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012

Double check that you have the NVIDIA web driver enabled, when you see "NVIDIA Chip Model" it means the wrong driver (i.e. default Apple one) is being used.

This is incorrect, if the web driver is enabled the correct model name will show up even if the card has no EFI on it. Here's my information whiole running 10.10.1 and the web driver, for example. Seeing "NVIDIA Chip Model" is a classic example of the driver trying to run a card it doesn't know about, which usually means you don't have the correct driver installed or enabled.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-26 at 9.46.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-26 at 9.46.52 AM.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 772

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Hmmmm when I open Cuda-Z, it says Cuda not found. Also when i open adobe after effects, the whole mac just crashes and shuts down.

Ok, i don't know what's the issue. However, you can exclude that it is a software issue from booting from another drive, for example with Mountain Lion or Mavericks, with other driver revisions.

However, i tend it is a lack of power.

revoid

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014
Double check that you have the NVIDIA web driver enabled, when you see "NVIDIA Chip Model" it means the wrong driver (i.e. default Apple one) is being used.

This is incorrect, if the web driver is enabled the correct model name will show up even if the card has no EFI on it. Here's my information whiole running 10.10.1 and the web driver, for example. Seeing "NVIDIA Chip Model" is a classic example of the driver trying to run a card it doesn't know about, which usually means you don't have the correct driver installed or enabled.

Hmmmm what do you suggest I try? Install other versions of Nvidia Web Drivers? Do you guys do any terminal work or just a regular install of the web driver and you managed to get it to detect the Titan cards?

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Hmmmm what do you suggest I try? Install other versions of Nvidia Web Drivers? Do you guys do any terminal work or just a regular install of the web driver and you managed to get it to detect the Titan cards?

Did you double check what driver you are using? The NVIDIA Driver Manager should look like this, if it doesn't then the web driver is not enabled (and you should enable it). I did nothing special to install, just ran the auto-updater and installed it directly when the new driver was released.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-26 at 11.19.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-26 at 11.19.46 AM.png
    74 KB · Views: 119

revoid

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014
Did you double check what driver you are using? The NVIDIA Driver Manager should look like this, if it doesn't then the web driver is not enabled (and you should enable it). I did nothing special to install, just ran the auto-updater and installed it directly when the new driver was released.

Yes it's exactly like that. Set to Web Drivers. :(

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
The fact that card is 1004 means issue is either:

1. 8 pin plug has only 6 pins powered. Non-modded cards require all pins to be powered. This isn't optional on 780. If using one of the "dual 6 into 8" adapters only one side can be used alone, other side not.

2. Card is physically damaged. In my experience, roughest time for cards is when excited owner jams them in slightly above the slot. The tiny components on back are a lottery. Some can be knocked off with little affect, some are crucial and card won't engage with them broken off.

3. You have buggered the drivers. About once a week I get an email from someone who found the ancient posts where Netkas and I discovered that Apple had turned off OpenCl on cards over 2 GB. This ended several OS's ago, yet some people still go digging in the system folder with a he editor and break drivers. If you haven't done any driver fiddling, a repair permissions could help.

Point is, device id of 1004 has been in drivers since 10.8.3 or so, card should work without web drivers.

I'm guessing it's number one.

revoid

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014
The fact that card is 1004 means issue is either:

1. 8 pin plug has only 6 pins powered. Non-modded cards require all pins to be powered. This isn't optional on 780. If using one of the "dual 6 into 8" adapters only one side can be used alone, other side not.

2. Card is physically damaged. In my experience, roughest time for cards is when excited owner jams them in slightly above the slot. The tiny components on back are a lottery. Some can be knocked off with little affect, some are crucial and card won't engage with them broken off.

3. You have buggered the drivers. About once a week I get an email from someone who found the ancient posts where Netkas and I discovered that Apple had turned off OpenCl on cards over 2 GB. This ended several OS's ago, yet some people still go digging in the system folder with a he editor and break drivers. If you haven't done any driver fiddling, a repair permissions could help.

Point is, device id of 1004 has been in drivers since 10.8.3 or so, card should work without web drivers.

I'm guessing it's number one.

Hmmmm let me try to get my hands on an additional 6 pin cable since right now it's using one from the mini PCIe and another from 2 sata molex adapters to power one 6 pin.

Well I installed the web drivers before even plugging the card in for the first time. Maybe I should try with a clean OS install? I didn't do any tweaking to the extensions though.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hmmmm let me try to get my hands on an additional 6 pin cable since right now it's using one from the mini PCIe and another from 2 sata molex adapters to power one 6 pin.

Well I installed the web drivers before even plugging the card in for the first time. Maybe I should try with a clean OS install? I didn't do any tweaking to the extensions though.

I'm not sure I am getting through.

There are 14 (FOURTEEN) pins to be plugged in.

How are you going to do that?

Trust me, the card absolutely will NOT RUN until you you do this.

You can install The King James Bible and it still won't work.

revoid

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014
I'm not sure I am getting through.

There are 14 (FOURTEEN) pins to be plugged in.

How are you going to do that?

Trust me, the card absolutely will NOT RUN until you you do this.

You can install The King James Bible and it still won't work.

Dude like I said I'm gonna get an additional 6pin wire. Probably hook up two 6pin to get 8pin and then run the extra 6 pin from the 2 sata to molex adapter.

No need to be so rude in your reply bro.

Hopefully it's just power issue.

revoid

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2014
Thanks Guys. I managed to get it to work now. Like what Macvidcard said I had to plug in all 14 pins. And once I plugged the last 6pin in, I managed to get it detected and bootable. Thanks all :D

Attachments

• ZAC MAC PRO1.jpg
    ZAC MAC PRO1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 179

Xelx

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2014
Here is a screen grab of the system report and the nvidia graphics manager. I am still unable to get the 650 to output through the DVI-I

K0qZ4rK.png

WUMYfMZ.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.