Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Well, I guess it's time to get a new printer. Mine is just too old. It's a Twin Turbo model 93085, that's a model earlier than the 400.

Here's the reply I got from support:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
What model LabelWriter are you printing from? Only the 450 and 400 series are supported with printing from Yosemite. If you are printing using anything other than those two series the error you are receiving could be coming from the incompatibility with Yosemite printing.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Of course this doesn't explain why it wouldn't work on my wife's Maverick machine. Anyway, I'm getting a 450 from Staples for $130. About $130 more than I wanted to pay since I already had a perfect good, functioning printer, but that's the price of being on the bleeding edge I guess.

If it doesn't work still, at least I can return it.

OK ... so I went and actually looked at the label on the bottom of my working Twin Turbo Dymo printer ... and it is the 93085! So they can work with the latest software under Yosemite. There must be some other issue with yours?

Terry Norton

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
Could very well be. Like a big coincidence. I install Yosemite AND it breaks at that exact moment.

When it didn't work on my wife's machine which has never has any DYMO software on it, my electronic background went Huh? I then changed USB cable. WTF?

Then I got the info from DYMO support. That's when I said "Ah screw it."

No matter what computer I put it on, and no matter what driver I use, it doesn't work ever since my first attempt at trying to printing from Yosemite. Did that cause an internal malfunction? Don't know. To me the printer is a blackbox, and for some reason the blackbox broke and doesn't work anywhere anymore.

At a certain point, trying to make older equipment work on newer technology just isn't worth the time and effort. I have bigger challenges to take care of without being upset why some blackbox piece of electronic gear doesn't work anymore. In 10 years I probably won't give a hoot about this tiny bump in the road.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Could very well be. Like a big coincidence. I install Yosemite AND it breaks at that exact moment.

When it didn't work on my wife's machine which has never has any DYMO software on it, my electronic background went Huh? I then changed USB cable. WTF?

Then I got the info from DYMO support. That's when I said "Ah screw it."

No matter what computer I put it on, and no matter what driver I use, it doesn't work ever since my first attempt at trying to printing from Yosemite. Did that cause an internal malfunction? Don't know. To me the printer is a blackbox, and for some reason the blackbox broke and doesn't work anywhere anymore.

At a certain point, trying to make older equipment work on newer technology just isn't worth the time and effort. I have bigger challenges to take care of without being upset why some blackbox piece of electronic gear doesn't work anymore. In 10 years I probably won't give a hoot about this tiny bump in the road.

This is probably a crazy suggestion ... have you tried removing the label roll, and then reloading it? Perhaps the mechanism is out-of-sync? Crazy, yeah.

kcrossley

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2009
Virginia
For what it's worth, I was having the exact same problem. Initially, I thought it was the driver, but it turns out it was a bad port on my USB hub. Something to check in case your having issues. :)

Terry Norton

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
Ok, I got the 450 Twin Turbo and the newest driver.

Printing is working perfectly, and it's plugged into a USB hub, not the computer.

Therefore, just for my own ease of mind, and since I couldn't get the old Twin Turbo to work on any computer, I'm going to deduce that somehow it was damaged internally on my initial attempt to print after installing Yosemite.

Or

The other option is that it was a huge coincidence that it simply broke the way electronic things do, without warning.

Like I said, 10 year from now I probably won't even remember this bump in the road.

daviddbrand

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
Memphis, TN
What the heck is going on????

I transferred the printer to my wife's iMac that's still running Maverick. For that I installed the 8.4 driver to be on the safe side.

Sure as potty stinks, I tried to print a label on her computer and got the exact same error:
The printer is not connected

Now something is really nuts here. I changed the USB cable, just to see. Nope.

Her computer software is nothing like mine, and it's an older iMac.

It's almost as if trying to print on Yosemite blew up my printer. Worked before Yosemite, now it doesn't work no matter which computer it's connected to.

Guess I'll go to the Post Office tomorrow. Got to get mail out.

Just curious, does anyone else make label printers? That actually work?

The exact same thing happened to me. I tried moving my twin turbo from my new MacPro to an 2012 iMac and now it won't work on either with any software version. What gives?

jamirkhas

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2014
Yes truly pathetic that Dymo are so slow, This stops me using 10.10 unfortunately. If anyone can think of a decent workaround I would appreciate it, the other way I have discovered is to use another Mac on the network for the printers and share them but it's a waste of another Mac and slow.
I have the same problem. My LabelWriter Twin Turbo does NOT work with Yosemite 10.10 and Dymo Tech Support is not much of a help either.

jamirkhas

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2014
Dymo printers Do NOT work with Yosemite

Hi, has anyone had any luck getting their Demo printers to work using Yosemite? I just installed DP6 and the two Dymo label writers I have installed don't print, they just crash when I print, the Demo software runs but there seems to be no connection between it and the printers. Thanks

Same situation in here. Dymo seems to indifferent and irresponsible.

conven

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
LabelWriter Twin Turbo "The printer is not connected."

Same boat. Printer had been working fine. Upgraded to Yosemite. You can see the printer and Add the New Printer and you get a green light in Print Preferences, but try to print to it and you get the not connected error. Not happy.

conven

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
Unable to use Twin Turbo on different iMac running OS 10.7.5

Bizarre. I thought I would install the Twin Turbo on a secondary computer in my office, an iMac running 10.7.5. I've been unable to get the label printer to work on the old system.

Did attempting to print once from Yosemite brick this $200 printer?

daviddbrand

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
Memphis, TN
Dymo TwinTurbo 400/Yosemite Flash ROM update

I have been struggling with this Dymo LabeWriter/Yosemite issue for quite some time now. It went down this way:

Installed Yosemite
Tried to print on Dymo LabelWriter Twin Turbo (400 model, although no indication of this on the front of the printer)
No Love. (Printer is recognized but lists as "Busy" in the printer window)

Looked on MacRumors and found others with issue.
Found that there was an update to the Dymo label software to address issue.
Carefully removed all of the old instances of software, prefs, printers etc. Empty trash, restart. Unplug printer, install new software, follow prompts, plug in printer USB... STILL NO LOVE

Now this is where it gets weird.

Took the printer to an older iMac and installed new software, printer still does not work! It is as if Yosemite has killed my printer! Turns out, using a 400 Twin Turbo under Yosemite necessitates updating the flash ROM onboard the printer. That is why it would no longer work on older iMacs also. This is only the case for the 400 Twin Turbo. This little Tidbit of info was not indicated :mad:anywhere:mad: on the Dymo website. However, Jennifer, a very nice rep from Demo walked me through it and now I am up and running.

Dear David,

Thank you for choosing Dymo. Our goal is to provide our customers with the highest quality and service.
Instructions:
Unplug the LabelWriter from the computer
For Mac 10.10, uninstall the Dymo Label Software
Download .zip file from THIS LINK: http://download.dymo.com/dymo/Software/Mac/TwinTurboUpdater.zip
Open .zip file and launch the "TwinTurboUpdater" app.
Connect the LabelWriter Twin Turbo via USB to the Mac.
The Update button should activate.
Press the Update button.
Confirmation of update should display.
Unplug the power cable for 10 seconds.
For Mac 10.10, reinstall Dymo Label 8.5.2
Plug printer back in.
Test to see if you can print.
If I can be of further assistance, please reply to this email directly so that we can see all previous replies.

Thank you,
Jennifer
Dymo Consumer Care

Hope this helps someone else who has a 400 TwinTurbo.

jamirkhas

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2014
Dymo LaserWiter TwinTurbo Don't work

Hi, has anyone had any luck getting their Demo printers to work using Yosemite? I just installed DP6 and the two Dymo label writers I have installed don't print, they just crash when I print, the Demo software runs but there seems to be no connection between it and the printers. Thanks

Dymo printers are always behind times by at least 4 months. They have NO clue that Operating systems get updated. Everyone should call them and complain. I have had the same experience with 2 Dymo LaserWiter TwinTurbo (Fancy Names) printers.

conven

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
Resolved. Printing restored to Twin Turbo under Yosemite

Following up to my earlier posts. The solution outlined by Davidbrand, including a firmware update for the printer and an application update, fixed this and the printer is operating normally under Yosemite. Thanks everyone!

kfk

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2014
Big sigh. I have a DYMO LabelWriter 450 Twin Turbo. Running Yosemite 10.10.1

The DYMO program works. I can print labels, etc. off it. My problem comes when I log into Endicia and try to print postage. I have chatted with Endicia support and they gave me the DYMO Label v. 8 package to install. Installed it, no dice. Still getting an error message ONLY when I try to print postage off of Endicia telling me that I need to update my software. Anyone else having this issue? I'm currently on hold with DYMO support trying to get this fixed, but thought I might toss my problem out here in the hopes that someone can give me some direction before I spend the rest of my day waiting for DYMO to pick up the phone :p

TFL167

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2014
UK
Thank goodness I came across this thread as I was going to install my Dymo 450. Vey interesting read and will follow the all the advice from here

Buckaroo

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2003
California
I'm looking for a thermal printer that I could use as a receipt printer. Has anyone been able to print a spreadsheet formatted for 4 x 6 from excel to the Dymo 4xl label printer?

jnj2313

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2015
I'm running 10.10.3 and I've tried everything in this thread and nothing works. I love my labelwriter when it works, but I'm ready to throw it out the window.

Has anyone found any other solutions?

Anyone have a good alternative to Dymo?

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
I'm running 10.10.3 and I've tried everything in this thread and nothing works. I love my labelwriter when it works, but I'm ready to throw it out the window.

Has anyone found any other solutions?

Anyone have a good alternative to Dymo?

What model and driver#?

Cheers

jnj2313

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2015
What model and driver#?

Cheers
Twin Turbo 450. Dymo replied to my service request and it works now!

The steps to install the DymoLabel Software (DLS) follow. All steps are important.

1. Unplug the USB cable and power cable from the back of the printer. Then go into System Preferences> Print and Scan and delete the DYMO printer.

2. Go into your applications and drag the DYMO Label application into the trash.

3. Browse to Macintosh HD> Library> Frameworks> DYMO, and delete that DYMO folder.

4. Browse to Macintosh HD> Library> Printers> DYMO, and delete that DYMO folder.

5. In the Finder, click on 'GO' in the toolbar at the top of the screen, then hold down the Option key on the keyboard. A new Library menu option will appear in the 'GO' menu. Click on Library > Preferences, and delete any com.DYMO files.

6. Empty the trash then restart the computer.

7. Once restarted, install the appropriate version of the DYMO software.

Only if you are running a version of Mac OSX 10.10 Yosemite, download and install this link:

http://download.dymo.com/dymo/Software/Mac/DLS8Setup.8.5.2.dmg

8. Once the software is installed, reconnect the power and then the USB cable to the back of the printer and the printer should automatically be recognized and install.

Connect the USB printer cable into a USB port directly on the computer and then connect the power to the printer. It will not work if connected to a USB hub, docking station or Mac keyboard.

NOTE: Do not connect the USB cable to your computer until instructed to do so during the software installation. If you have a label printer already installed, disconnect the USB cable from your computer before running the installer and reconnect the cable when instructed to do so.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.