Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
So here is my first post as a Mac user:

After a long, long wait I finaly switched and I am now a proud owner of iBook G4.
I used OpenOffice and KOffice on Linux and Windows before. Now that I am using Mac, I am looking for alternative.
I find MS Office too expensive, OpenOffice X11 for Mac is not there yet in terms of GUI (hopefully native Aqua version will come soon), AppleWorks is couple of years behind in everything. Don't get me wrong, both OO and AW are still usable and installed on my iBook right now, but somehow they don't feel quite right.
So, is any other alternative available for Mac? Preferably, open source and light in terms of disk and memory footprint.

Thanks in advance.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
tutubibi said:
So here is my first post as a Mac user:

After a long, long wait I finaly switched and I am now a proud owner on iBook G4.
I used OpenOffice and KOffice on Linux and Windows before. Now that I am using Mac, I am looking for alternative.
I find MS Office too expensive, OpenOffice X11 for Mac is not there yet in terms of GUI (hopefully native Aqua version will come soon), AppleWorks is couple of years behind in everything. Don't get me wrong, both OO and AW are still usable and installed on my iBook right now, but somehow they don't feel quite right.
So, is any other alternative available for Mac? Preferably, open source and light in terms of disk and memory footprint.

Thanks in advance.
You've covered most options except NeoOffice which is a prototype of an Aqua port of OpenOffice. You may give it a try.

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
ChrisFromCanada said:
Just in case you didn't know TextEdit will open .doc files.

Thanks, didn't try that before.

However, my problem is creating new documents. I create maybe 50 documents (basic text, spreadsheet or presentation) a year. So being such a light user, I try to avoid paying (big) money for Office suite or sacrifice 1/2 GB of disk space for other alternatives.

I guess it's time to start new open source project: OSX Office Lite. Small, fully functional, native look and feel. Max disk footprint 99 MB. That would be :cool:

AppleStrudle

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2004
On a very similar note - I'm thinking of replacing my aging home Windows machine with a Mac. I suspect that AppleWorks can satisfy my private needs for wordprocessing etc. but occasionally I have to edit an MS Word document from work. Apple's marketing blurb for AppleWorks claims that it can work with MS WORD files. Does anyone have any experience of using AppleWorks or OpenOffice for this?

Thanks

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
AppleStrudle said:
On a very similar note - I'm thinking of replacing my aging home Windows machine with a Mac. I suspect that AppleWorks can satisfy my private needs for wordprocessing etc. but occasionally I have to edit an MS Word document from work. Apple's marketing blurb for AppleWorks claims that it can work with MS WORD files. Does anyone have any experience of using AppleWorks or OpenOffice for this?

Thanks

Both OpenOffice and AppleWorks can open and work with doc files from MS Word. Depending on complexity of the Word document there may be some formatting issues but it's ussualy very minor. I've been using OO for a long time (on Windows and Linux) and never had any major issue.
Also, file created and saved as "doc" from OO opens perfectly in Word (and it is ussualy half the size compared with same doc saved from Word later).

aptmunich

macrumors member
May 29, 2004
just here to remind everyone that you/ your kids can buy office for 150$ as an educational version if your a student..

Having said that i wrote my complete assignment for history last year in a combo of office xp, openoffice for windows and openoffice for linux after several annoying pc/officexp related bugs and that worked fine so you should be ok with oO

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
aptmunich said:
just here to remind everyone that you/ your kids can buy office for 150$ as an educational version if your a student..

IMHO, even 150$ is too much for something that should be commodity. It's just overpriced. I would rather spend that 150$ supporting 5 deserving open-source or shareware projects.

hesitaliandad

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2003
gekko513 said:
You've covered most options except NeoOffice which is a prototype of an Aqua port of OpenOffice. You may give it a try.

neooffice rules. i use it as my office suite, and i have never had any problems. i like it better than OO. it doesn't seem quite as clunky for some reason. go for that one.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
There is also Nisus Writer

Not a full featured Office solution, but it does handle the word processing side of things well. BTW, their thesaurus is a really nice add-on to OSX . . . works system wide just like apple's spell check.

Nisus.com

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I wrote about 2/3 of a book using OpenOffice. I recently gave up on it because of a few things: poor font support (yes I realize there's a way to access your Mac fonts from X11, but I don't have the time/inclination to mess with it), lack of cut and paste support between X11 apps and regular Mac apps, and printing problems with Airport/Rendezvous.

I just downloaded Neooffice, and I'm happy to report those issues are resolved. The font support still leaves a little to be desired (boldface and italic are not as pretty as they are in native Mac OS), but everything else works great. I think I'm going to switch permanently to NeoOffice. It will be even better once it uses the native Mac interface, but this is a great alternative to Micro$oft!

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
yeah, I've wasted my money on MS Office. And I'm not buying another ;P (considering OfficeX will probably suite my needs until I die).

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Ten years later!

I'm happy to resurrect this decade-old topic. Many of the more recently-updated topics are duplicates, or go way off-topic (example: Microsoft Office 2014 (2015?), which discusses many other suites but not NeoOffice).

In March 2014:
Neo Office is best on Mac and Libre also is excellent. http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php
Both less quirky or buggy than OpenOffice.

This is to offer alternatives to users tired of MSO Mac or iWork.

More recently:

… Have you every tried Scrivener? It can't (and wasn't designed to) replace Word for final edits and layout adjustments, but it a great tool for actually writing. I'm using it now for my thesis and love it. I'll compile and export it to Word to finish it up and fix any endnote citation issues. The biggest thing that held me back was endnote citations, but apparently endnote does work with it.

--------------------------

Other thing I was thinking about...

Yes, I'm a computer "nerd," and love software and have tried many Office suites. Since I use them so much all day everyday the right choice was important. I never hated Office because: (1) there's no reason to, and (2) I'm an accounting major and will finish my Masters and get my license within 2 years. I will be using Office, Access, and MS Dynamics (among other enterprise system software) all my life. I get a lot of Access and Excel projects in class right now. I tried, I really tried, to do my Excel projects on the Mac version, but it simply didn't have the functionality I needed, it lagged, and it wasn't very compatible.

Well, I loved Pages 09. I used it for everything from letters to research proposals, but my usage has dramatically changed for a few reasons. First, I am using my iPad a lot more now. It's easier to take an iPad and a good keyboard to class than a 15" rMBP. Second, Microsoft finally released Office for iPad, and it was really good. Is it perfect? No. Is it a solid release that has received much support? Yes. The only compatibility issue I've had was with one font that wasn't on my iPad. Third (and last), Apple destroyed iWork. Even before the update, the Mac and iOS version of iWork were NOT very compatible so I gave up on them. With me using the iPad at school I wanted good Mac/iOS communication and OneDrive has worked out great. Why use Pages 09 on Mac and Word on iPad? I've almost completely cut out Pages without even thinking about it. It makes me sad because Pages was an amazingly refined and useful word processor and page layout tool. I have all kinds of pages documents still on my system, but Word was just easier and is the standard. All my professor post material as .docx (why not .pdf, I don't know...). There is also Word and Excel communication in Windows, I haven't tested it in the Mac version. Office is the standard that I will use and it's good. Why not use it? Pages will not be supported and will fade away eventually, Office is here to stay. Office has it's issues and many people dislike it with good reason, but for my usages it fits. I've started using Word for all the small tasks too (if I don't use textedit for really quick things) and Scrivener for big projects that get exported into Word for final edits. I've even grown to enjoy OneNote.

Microsoft has done some amazing work. I just wish that they would function more like a neutral software company and make great products with parity on all platforms. Sadly, the Mac clients will never be what the Windows versions are, which is to be expected (or not surprising I should say.) Now I just use Mac Word for a viewer and some lighter usages and Mac Excel for only the most basic spreadsheets. I use Office 2013 in VMWare for everything else.

Quick side note: When I first moved to Mac, I really tried to like Numbers, I really tried. I used it a lot, but it was just infuriation to use! Simple things were completely absent and even the implementation of what was there was unintuitive.

A few years ago, much of my work involved office suites – typically word processing.

Nowadays I rarely need to edit a document. More often than editing, I find myself printing other people's work – and that's not often.

Microsoft Office 2011, it's OK I suppose. Problems with lock files (SMB in a Microsoft Windows Server-based environment) occurred so often in the past that I no longer have an interest in diagnosing the causes. Suffice to say, a Microsoft-centric approach is not as reliable as people would like.

LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice, I enjoy using.

NeoOffice, I also enjoy using. In the App Store for the United States, priced at $29.99, it's rated as good (four stars).

(Off-topic for a moment: not long ago, OS X was similarly priced. It's now free but no longer good; it's rated as 'OK' (three stars).)

If you're familiar with the NeoOffice approach to support over the years, it should be pleasing to note that the dedication, strictness and honesty of the developers does not result in a lower rating for the product. I find it reassuring that customers can 'go with' the strictness in, for example, the support forum.

Last but not least, KompoZer. It's not part of an office suite but it's a handy and lightweight way of me getting HTML (to paste into the absolute dog of a product that is LANDesk!) …

Related

Literature and Latte - Scrivener Writing Software | Mac OS X | Windows

Scrivener 2.0 | Macworld (2011-02-04)

… debuted in 2007 …

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.