Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abba1

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2014
I'm not defending Apple or anything, but those results are utter garbage. They don't "suggest" anything.

Firstly, "37 respondents in MacRumors Forum" is not okay for quantitative statistics.

Secondly, the other sources leads me to an equally vague website with no numbers, that bases its information on "full reports can be purchased here", which leads to no direct source, but just the mainpage.

Thirdly, citing not-openly available reports for consumer statistics is... well, not accessible to the consumers, so what's the point?

PS: woops, double post :eek:

I don't think this is a realistic response. The statistics have to take more into account than one thread in a very large forum. What we have to look at is the number of negative posts vs positive in toto in the entire forum, not just the one thread. The majority of posters are either developers or otherwise computer literate people --and I don't mean just users. Additionally, there are a few who fit neither category but are just seeking help and, in my opinion, these need not be counted for the purpose of establishing and/or analysing statistics.

There is a real dichotomy and there is no way of knowing who will prevail:

1. More and more people and more and more businesses are going over to Mac and leaving the various hardware companies using Microsoft software, with the result that the stock is absolutely fantastic and Apple is now many times more valuable than Exon Mobile (the second largest public company in the world), something that Steve Jobs would be proud of and pleased with. Go Apple! What Tim Cook has done in this regard is outstanding.

However, in many ways the analogy between Scully and Cook is correct. And, if Cook does not pay proper attention to the technology itself (both architecture and beauty, form and function, hardware and software), Apple will go the way of HP, Dell, and many other onetime high-flyers. I do believe that Jobs would turn over in his grave if this were to happen.

With some exceptions, the general Apple owner(s), whether business, student, or simply personal users, generally, would not be concerned with how product looks, but would only care that it works better than what they used to use and doesn't crash. All they need to do is upgrade every few years and have good IT people to fix it as necessary. And, for the student or personal user, Apple Care is absolutely a Godsend. Frankly, when I have a Mac under Apple Care, I am very pleased with it as well!

2. Developers and people who understand software rather than just use it are to a large extent, but not totally, unhappy. This is something that Jobs would have been displeased with and would have done something about. It's true that every upgrade in OS X has had problems, but never to my knowledge to this extent. Let us hope they are fixed quickly. And, although some are displeased with the look of the software, not everybody is. Moreover, regarding the look of the hardware, all the non-Apple competitors try to imitate Apple! That should say something.

External to the statistics, what we have to remember is that with all of the problems, OS X is still far better than the competition's output. And, it is better than anything I have ever used or worked with. In that regard, I note that the first computer I used (but didn't work on) was a Mag Card in the 1960's, and compared to my old electric typewriter, it was glorious. I've progressed upward ever since. Apple is still the best of the best, but it is not as good as it should be. The soldering of the battery or ram into the case is a step down. The problems people are having with IOS 8 are unprecedented in Apple's history. The problems with Yosemite are precedented, but not to the extent they currently present themselves. If Job's trust in Cook was founded, these problems will be fixed. If not, a better mousetrap will present itself; and, if you don't believe that, look at the various computers that came out in the 70's. How many of them do you remember because most of them are no longer existent.

Cheers!

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
A themed Calendar.app icon from November 2013

Old icon = date properly centered

1.png

New icon = date and month off-center

2.png

…The issue is the calendar icon IN THE DOCK - it shows the real date …

I realise that this is off-topic from the Dock of Yosemite, but I prefer this themed approach from seven months before WWDC 2014:

– referred from Theming is still alive in Mavericks! (2013-11-05)​

I'm not sure about the angle, and I'd prefer a little more space either side of the dividing line, but that third party visualisation of an icon for Calendar is – debatably – somewhat more Yosemite-like than the icon in Apple's release.

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
That looks horrid. Like somebody made their Windows computer look like a bad lookalike of OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.