Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
We've all been slinging mud at GT, but how in the world did Apple enter an agreement with these clowns without them proving that they could deliver?

That said, Apple clearly had a backup plan to use the standard gorilla glass on the 6/6+ and executed it when GT didn't deliver. Good planning on that front likely saved the year (what happens when you have millions of phones ready to go and no covers?).

It's called R&D, and frankly I believe their methodology was pretty ingenious. Hiring "experts" in the field without actually hiring them. Thereby limiting your employee exposure and capping your costs.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
We've all been slinging mud at GT, but how in the world did Apple enter an agreement with these clowns without them proving that they could deliver?

That said, Apple clearly had a backup plan to use the standard gorilla glass on the 6/6+ and executed it when GT didn't deliver. Good planning on that front likely saved the year (what happens when you have millions of phones ready to go and no covers?).

Quite honestly, when you see a big deal like this that screwed up, time to look into the personal and social history of both managements. Is there an "old boy" connection between GT and Apple? Get the public profiles and find common companies or even common schools. If not that, common neighborhoods or country club memberships.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012

They took a risk, that's all. If they had succeeded we'd all be raving about how brilliant Apple is and how they saw an opportunity nobody else did, yadda yadda. This time it went south on them, that's all.

This confirms what a lot of people have been thinking for awhile though, I think - GT bears the brunt of the blame for this falling through, not Apple.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
I live in Arizona and worked in that sector and can safely say the characters around here with the 120k fully loaded Ford Trucks and Chevy Silverados have a certain American ego, the big swangin d1&$ attitude, where the difference between them and Foxconn would be that they let their egos get in the way of what is correct.

They are probably emotionally immature and at the sign pressure just said forget it, they don't need this.

I hope their reputation are diminished and not rewarded because I guarantee it wasn't Apples fault and they probably went all emo.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Why would any of that be Apple's responsibility? They gave a small company a huge opportunity but they didn't take it seriously enough and totally blew it.

There's two sides to every story. Apple and WSJ being bed partners, the truth is never going to be revealed. Interesting how the people that immediately side with Apple have no desire to think for themselves.

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
There's two sides to every story. Apple and WSJ being bed partners, the truth is never going to be revealed. Interesting how the people that immediately side with Apple have no desire to think for themselves.

Exactly. I have to wonder why the WSJ is involved in this case and why did the workers talk to the WSJ when their employer filed for bankruptcy? Isn't there a gag order for this?

I think this is Apple's tactic of using the WSJ to slander them. There's something not right with the story.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I still find it hard to be that Apple (I would be more forgiving of other companies I admit) didn't vet/stay on top of GT.

I know there are many scenarios. Do we believe that GT was that good at hiding everything from a brand that is known for watching their vendors like a hawk (especially when it comes to a new technology)? That's a bit hard for me to swallow that Apple could be duped that much and for that amount of time.

And if that IS the case, then yes, I blame Apple to a certain level. Who provides the space and capital to a business with those types of contract specificity and doesn't maintain deep oversight of the project?

I simply don't think we truly know enough to judge either company and lay blame.

Apple was... they had plan B. But you can not babysit your providers, they have to be responsible for what they do. That is why Apple didn't give them more money.

I am a project manager and there are providers who are good and other who sell themselves very well. Trust me... Apple know what they are doing, things are not coming out in the way they wanted but they can do so much as well. We are all adults in the table.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Apple was... they had plan B. But you can not babysit your providers, they have to be responsible for what they do. That is why Apple didn't give them more money.

I am a project manager and there are providers who are good and other who sell themselves very well. Trust me... Apple know what they are doing, things are not coming out in the way they wanted but they can do so much as well. We are all adults in the table.

I do know that Apple offered and agreed to buy furnaces that were mission critical. The day they were to be delivered Apple changed their minds violating the contract.

But being Apple they can do anything they want, knowing they don't answer to anyone. Fierce as a pack of Rabid Pit Bulls, Apple's legal team can break any contact and erase any responsibility on Apple's part. Anyone paying attention over the last few years knows Apple gets what Apple wants... Always.

That's just a fact not being critical of Apple. It's how they win big keep all the money and sleep well at night. Doesnt phase me, I'm not attached to the outcome.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Then why did Display Mate give the Note 4 a better score on color accuracy than the iPhone?

I don't trust Display Mate.
Anandtech says a different story, and was the same with the galaxy S5.
Display Mate isn't an independent unbiased source.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I don't trust Display Mate.
Anandtech says a different story, and was the same with the galaxy S5.
Display Mate isn't an independent unbiased source.

Wait. You say DisplayMate can't be trusted because they're biased, then you cite Anandtech? Are you serious?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
So that is to be taken as more reputable than a site that is considered an industry standard? Seriously, I hope you're joking.

Edit: You also didn't say what the agenda is.

An industry what ?
Display Mate is a commercial reality, nothing more.
Anandtech is an independent tech website.

After the galaxy S5 plain lie, display mate demonstrated themself to be tied with Samsung. It doesn't matter if you clearly like that.
For me a supposedly tech savvy reality that prizes a pen tile matrix with oversaturated colors instead of a proper RGB matrix has zero credibility.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
An industry what ?
Display Mate is a commercial reality, nothing more.
Anandtech is an independent tech website.

After the galaxy S5 plain lie, display mate demonstrated themself to be tied with Samsung. It doesn't matter if you clearly like that.
For me a supposedly tech savvy reality that prizes a pen tile matrix with oversaturated colors instead of a proper RGB matrix has zero credibility.

Every time you say that Anandtech it's independent and unbiased, I have to shake my head. Also, you can make the Note 4 less saturated if you want.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Every time you say that Anandtech it's independent and unbiased, I have to shake my head. Also, you can make the Note 4 less saturated if you want.

Anandtech IS independent and unbiased.
But by your comments I understand perfectly well what your beloved brand is.... and so an objective tech site like Anandtech isn't something you would love.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Anandtech IS independent and unbiased.
But by your comments I understand perfectly well what your beloved brand is.... and so an objective tech site like Anandtech isn't something you would love.

No, they have nothing horrible to say about my favored brand that I know of. Have they ever said anything terrible about Nokia that I'm unaware of?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.