Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
ta09PEg.jpg

urxi4CF.jpg

XivFbp6.jpg

How would one go about fixing this cracked door frame? I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to handy work, so any suggestions are welcomed! :)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
If you were a handy person, you need to take the molding off. Pull apart the jam and put a filler strip in. There is no way to fix that wood. It needs to be replaced.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd be calling someone, as mentioned by MacNut, you cannot fix it, but rather replace it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hard to tell by the pics what I'm looking at, but this looks old and like it's a big piece of pine. There might be some concern with maintaining the look. Is there drywall there? Is that pine paneling/planking, or is that molding going around the door? Is the door hing mounted into a dedicated door frame, a 2x4, or something else? Most modern doors come with a door frame that slides/mounts into a door opening framed by 2x4s. For a secure mounting, hinge screws go through both the door frame if there is one, into the wood underneath, in most modern structures, 2x4s. For somthing old, it could be more solid than a modern door frame.

I see a couple of possibilities. The easiest but more expensive is to call someone. But if you are up the the challenge, you just need a solid piece of wood to mount the door hinges into. The molding around the door frame (on the face of the door if there is molding) will have to be removed, prying it off, without ruining it (ideally) because it looks old. After removed, you might see a piece of door frame (3/4" thick) piece of wood that the hinges are screwing into or something else, like a 2x4, or a chunk of wood framing.

If pine paneling/planking runs to the edge of the door, the piece next to door would have to be removed, to get at what's underneath. If there is a door frame, instead of ripping out the entire frame (that goes all the way around the door, with a reciprocating saw the portion of the frame where the hinges mount and the 2x4 underneath (if there is one) can be cut out and replaced. Sounding complicated? :)

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Huntn knows what he is talking about. That or hire someone because you would need a bunch of tools to do the job, including a reciprocating saw most likely, and that would cost you as much. But if your life ahead indicates other repairs, like if you buy old houses, then tool purchases pay off.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Huntn knows what he is talking about. That or hire someone because you would need a bunch of tools to do the job, including a reciprocating saw most likely, and that would cost you as much. But if your life ahead indicates other repairs, like if you buy old houses, then tool purchases pay off.

Thanks! Having the rights tools is a must. As a Mikey Mouse fix, I wonder if you could take the trim off, work some glue into the cracks, and run some screws through the cracked wood to hold it together and then use fatter hinge screws? Maybe, maybe not. :)

Question for the OP, are those hinge screws going into door or the frame? If looking at the door with the cracked wood, then short of replacing the door you might have to cut out parts of the door, and replace with wood which may not be a satisfactory solution.

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Thanks! Having the rights tools is a must. As a Mikey Mouse fix, I wonder if you could take the trim off, work some glue into the cracks, and run some screws through the cracked wood to hold it together and then use fatter hinge screws? Maybe, maybe not. :)

Question for the OP, are those hinge screws going into door or the frame? If looking at the door with the cracked wood, then short of replacing the door you might have to cut out parts of the door, and replace with wood which may not be a satisfactory solution.
My the looks of it there is nothing behind that wood. I don't know if there is anything solid to screw into.

Renzatic

Suspended

I've been helping out a friend with his business, and getting into some pretty heavy woodworking these last couple of months. One thing I've discovered is that wood glue actually ends up being considerably stronger than the grain surrounding it. If you use clamps to put pressure on it, and leave it for about, say, 3-4 hours, you won't need the screws at all.

The problem is, it doesn't look like it's a clean break, so it won't make it disappear entirely. And the stain on the wood will make it harder to fix and disguise.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've been helping out a friend with his business, and getting into some pretty heavy woodworking these last couple of months. One thing I've discovered is that wood glue actually ends up being considerably stronger than the grain surrounding it. If you use clamps to put pressure on it, and leave it for about, say, 3-4 hours, you won't need the screws at all.

The problem is, it doesn't look like it's a clean break, so it won't make it disappear entirely. And the stain on the wood will make it harder to fix and disguise.

I remember that too now that you've jogged my memory! :)

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
If you do go the wood glue route you can use some sawdust mixed with the glue to make a filler for the cracks. To "revitalize" the screw holes you can use wooden toothpicks, wooden skewers or wooden golf tees along with wood glue to fill them. When the glue dries you can then take a box cutter or X-acto knife, etc. to trim off the excess toothpicks, skewers or tees. Then re-drill the screw holes if needed and rehang the door.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.