Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you buy used or new 5s?

• I will buy/ already bought a used 5S

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • I will buy/ already bough a new 5S

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I'm intersted in hearing which route everyone has gone or is planning to go when buying an iPhone 5s this Christmas: new or used?

In case anyone wonders, I went the used route.

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
If someone cannot appreciate a used phone as a gift; that person doesn't deserve the gift in the first place.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If someone cannot appreciate a used phone as a gift; that person doesn't deserve the gift in the first place.

I don't think it's a matter of appreciation (for most). I think if I was spending money on a gift I would be somewhat worried of the item malfunctioning out of warranty, moreso than if I bought it for myself.

That's not to say I wouldn't consider it. I would want at least some warranty on it, be that Apple care or just manufacturer. And in fact I might pay a bit more for a device with Apple care on it.

used is also the best way to get phones with higher onboard storage.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
If it is for someone else buy "New"; if it is for yourself; buy "Use".

Everybody seems follows this strategy! Look at all the EBay, Swappa, etc...

Does anyone buy new iPhone for themselves?

Just for laughes! This post is.

allthatjazz

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
If it is for someone else buy "New"; if it is for yourself; buy "Use".

Everybody seems follows this strategy! Look at all the EBay, Swappa, etc...

Does anyone buy new iPhone for themselves?

Just for laughes! This post is.

Nope, no one buys a new iphone for themselves, ever. :rolleyes:

Dumb logic.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I'm sorry, but no. I would never give a used item as a gift, and would not like to receive one. Whether it be a used DVD or a used MacBook Pro, you don't give previously used items as gifts.

The item will show signs of wear, so the person receiving it can't keep it in pristine shape, you don't have any idea the potential issues with the item (why they are selling it in the first place), you will be responsible for any issues since likely there would be no warranty or proof of purchase, and it takes away from the excitement of unboxing and opening a brand new gift.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Buy new! Who knows what issues you'll get used.

I bought a second-hand 4S when home-button issues were all the rage. Resulted in a shiny new device because of warranty :p

it takes away from the excitement of unboxing and opening a brand new gift

What if you're not 10 years old anymore? My parents both have well-kept second hand iPhones, and they don't seem to mind. The spirit of Christmas is not always about spending as much money as possible :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If I'm looking for an older generation phone, then I'll buy used. Makes more sense to me to pay less for last year's technology then paying the premium for it being new. That's just me.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
With the chance of activation lock being on when you buy a used iPhone, I would just buy new.

You can always ask the seller for IMEID and use Apple's tool online to see if it is unlocked. And you can ask the seller if it is iCloud locked, and if it is, but they said it wasn't, you can get your money back no questions asked because of Ebay buyer protection.

----------

If I'm looking for an older generation phone, then I'll buy used. Makes more sense to me to pay less for last year's technology then paying the premium for it being new. That's just me.

I agree! I decided on getting the 5s because I prefer that size, and since it is available at a great discount used, why not search for one in pristine condition and save? It makes the most sense for someone who wants to save.

----------

Just to clear things up, when I said Christmas I was mainly thinking of buying it for yourself; since it's Christmas I figured a lot of people would be buying iPhones, new or used.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I bought a second-hand 4S when home-button issues were all the rage. Resulted in a shiny new device because of warranty :p

What if you're not 10 years old anymore? My parents both have well-kept second hand iPhones, and they don't seem to mind. The spirit of Christmas is not always about spending as much money as possible :)
Neither am I, our family only gives one small gift to each other. It's about spending time with family. I'm simply stating my opinion here, and I'm sure many others agree, opening a present to find a used item definitely takes away from the experience.

I'd rather buy a small gift that the person would enjoy on Christmas, and not use that time to give someone a used phone.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
You can always ask the seller for IMEID and use Apple's tool online to see if it is unlocked. And you can ask the seller if it is iCloud locked, and if it is, but they said it wasn't, you can get your money back no questions asked because of Ebay buyer protection.

True. You go on eBay, get the info, and shows clear. What stops the person from locking it just as they ship it or shipping a different phone?

Also, look up on this site of all the people who got an iPhone/iPad from eBay and the activate lock was on. All the hassles they go through, time wasted, and aggravation. To me, that's. It worth saving a few bucks.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Neither am I, our family only gives one small gift to each other. It's about spending time with family. I'm simply stating my opinion here, and I'm sure many others agree, opening a present to find a used item definitely takes away from the experience.

I'd rather buy a small gift that the person would enjoy on Christmas, and not use that time to give someone a used phone.

I think it all comes down to need or luxury. If it's something you genuinely need, like a new phone because your old one is simply too old or too battered, then I wouldn't hesitate buying a used one if available resources require so. Like, if someone's phone breaks during the summer, what then? I'm just largely against the current spirit of Christmas, allocating a whole year's worth of resources to that single day to "surprise" people.

But if you're giving your child their first iPod Touch, by all means make it presentable and new, and not some used 3rd generation model you got for cheap. :p

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012

Totally agree with you! I like the idea of saving about 1/3 to 1/2 on my smartphones. That adds up to great savings if you switch every year or two! The 2 year and 3rd have less depreciation on them to percentage wise.

Many people have various smartphones to use and switch off every week or so. I have four smartphones already and will buy a 5S when the 6S is release. Reason: I have a ton of 5S new case/covers to use up! LOL!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.