Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SL4VE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
hi im looking at buying a macbook pro or air an literally need one this weekend

but im not sure if theres a new model coming out real soon or not. i really only need it for applying for jobs and cv, cover letter work and than browsing the net

so an Air would do but if i can get a Pro for similar money with a retina screen, why not

thanks

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
There should be deals this coming weekend for Black Friday, I suggest getting one then. If you need it now, you need it now though. So you can't/wont be waiting for the new model. Even so, models at this time are minuscule anyway, major changes happen during the summer/fall period. The air sounds like it can handle it all, but I agree that if you can get the pro for the same price, why not.

SL4VE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
this is the thing i do need it now co i can get a job, applications.

but i dont really want to buy one if a new one is due out in a few weeks

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
this is the thing i do need it now co i can get a job, applications.

but i dont really want to buy one if a new one is due out in a few weeks

Well if you don't buy one you won't be able to get that job for a few weeks correct? If you live off alternatives, such as use a family member or friends computer in the meantime, then there is no harm in waiting. But it is unclear if apple will update any of the MacBook lines soon. Even if they do, it's usually just a small cpu speed boost that isn't even noticeable in real life. We probably won't see a new major redesigned air until spring/summer of next year, nor a major new pro until summer/fall of next year. I don't think minor spec bumps is worth the wait compared to Black Friday deals.

SL4VE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
Tbh the main thing I don't want to buy a air and a retina air comes out a few weeks later

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Tbh the main thing I don't want to buy a air and a retina air comes out a few weeks later

Just based on the rollout dates of the new Intel chips that will go in these, you won't likely see anything new until next spring.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Quite seriously, I very much doubt that there will be any significant update or revision to the MBA line before next year, as the necessary material (Intel chip, perhaps a retina screen for a MBA body etc, has yet to be rolled out).

Whatever deals may be available on Black Friday have nothing to do with any technological advances which may be revealed next year.

If you need a MBA now, buy one now; it is an excellent machine, powerful, fast, very portable with a superb battery.

SL4VE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
It would be perfect to have one with retina. So don't want to buy one if there's one coming out very soon. But if it's due out next spring I will buy one now.

Is there a massive difference between a retina pro and air screen

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It would be perfect to have one with retina. So don't want to buy one if there's one coming out very soon. But if it's due out next spring I will buy one now.

I went form a 13" Air to the Retina and it is a very noticeable difference.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Apple isn't releasing any new laptops this year. If they did, they'd largely miss the holiday shoppers at this point - a foolish move on their part. Secondly, what would they upgrade too? Intel has not released Broadwell. Have no fear, we'll not see any new hardware until 2015.

As for rMBP vs. MBA. The screen, CPU and GPU all make the rMBP better in all respect imo. The only reason why someone would go for the MBA is for size and traveling. Its a bit lighter and thinner.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
Quite seriously, I very much doubt that there will be any significant update or revision to the MBA line before next year, as the necessary material (Intel chip, perhaps a retina screen for a MBA body etc, has yet to be rolled out).

Whatever deals may be available on Black Friday have nothing to do with any technological advances which may be revealed next year.

If you need a MBA now, buy one now; it is an excellent machine, powerful, fast, very portable with a superb battery.

The base macbook air is being sold with 13 percent discount in Belgium. That is truly odd as :apple: does not tend to put out discounts over here.

SL4VE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
Found me a nice 6 months old retina pro cheaper than a refurbished air of similar spec. Off to get it tomorrow still has apple warranty but only downside it's a 128GB one

Will need a 128gb mem card too I think

SL4VE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
just wanted to add that now its been a couple of days and I'm writing this from my macbook pro retina. even though its a lowish spec 4gb ram and 128gb ssd, its more than capable and I'm really happy with the purchase.

so glad i didn't go for a Air, i would never have been happy with the screen imo, but thankfully i got a great deal.

also the 128 ssd is not bad, simply because i don't store films and only got a 30GB iTunes library and the rest of the docs are on dropbox. so i still got about 50GB free and i don't even need to buy the 128GB SDXC flush fit card that i had planned.

no one ever puts a conclusion to these type of threads, so i thought i would

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.