Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
I think it's too early to call Apple done with displays. They consistently have better quality displays on their laptops, iMacs, iPads and iPhones than the competition. It would be a shame if Mac users that wanted a 2nd display (or the primary display for the Mini and the Mac Pro) had to go with a sub-par display because Apple left that market.

Consistently better quality ? I'm sure that can be hotly contested by many on here.

You do know that the Thunderbolt display is just an LG panel with a nice case around it ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not rooting for them to drop displays. In fact, I hope you're right! I just think any line that hasn't been refreshed in over 3 years is being put out to pasture.
Many folks were hoping for a new iPod classic until recently or a better Mac Mini.

I would say the current model Dell UltraSharp & NEC Multisync are better monitors at similar prices to Apple and the Samsung 28" UHD Monitor at less than $600 is a crazy price. I have no bone in those brands, personally I use a 27" 1080p IPS monitor by HP that I got on sale for $199 with my Mac Mini.

Last edited:

SmileyDude

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
MA
Consistently better quality ? I'm sure that can be hotly contested by many on here.

Typically when Apple introduces a new display, it's better than the competition at the time. You can certainly make an argument that the display portion of the Thunderbolt Display has been surpassed by the competition after three years, though I tend to think that a greater portion of Thunderbolt Displays will be still in good condition (no burn-in, ghosting, etc) than the competing devices will after 5-10 years (Monitors tend to outlast the computers they are initially paired with by a long time).

You do know that the Thunderbolt display is just an LG panel with a nice case around it ?

The Thunderbolt Display is an LG panel wrapped in a nice case with additional I/O (USB, FireWire, Camera, audio, ethernet) all connected through a single connection to the Mac. If someone only cares about the display itself, by all means, do not spend the extra money for the Thunderbolt Display. But if that additional I/O and the ability to basically setup a docking station for a MacBook is something that is wanted, then it may be worth the extra cost.

If you look at the Thunderbolt Display as Apple's docking solution for the MacBook Air and Pro, it becomes a lot more interesting. It also happens to be useful for the Mac Pro, Mac mini and iMac, but given that most people don't move those machines around like they do with their laptops, it's not as helpful for those machines. When I was using an iMac and Mini as my main machines, I wasn't about to spend money on the Thunderbolt Display. But with the MacBook Pro, it was a no brainer for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not rooting for them to drop displays. In fact, I hope you're right! I just think any line that hasn't been refreshed in over 3 years is being put out to pasture.
Many folks were hoping for a new iPod classic until recently or a better Mac Mini.

I would say the current model Dell UltraSharp & NEC Multisync are better monitors at similar prices to Apple and the Samsung 28" UHD Monitor at less than $600 is a crazy price. I have no bone in those brands, personally I use a 27" 1080p IPS monitor by HP that I got on sale for $199 with my Mac Mini.

It's certainly possible. We have no insights into what Apple is doing, but I personally have a hard time believing that Apple would invest in making a custom TCON chip for the iMac 5k and not want to bring that to the Thunderbolt Display at some point as well. From a R&D perspective, the Thunderbolt Display is almost a freebie. Take the iMac, rip out most of the guts and stick a Thunderbolt interface on it. And then sell it unchanged for the next 5 years or so.

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
but I personally have a hard time believing that Apple would invest in making a custom TCON chip for the iMac 5k and not want to bring that to the Thunderbolt Display at some point as well. From a R&D perspective, the Thunderbolt Display is almost a freebie. Take the iMac, rip out most of the guts and stick a Thunderbolt interface on it. And then sell it unchanged for the next 5 years or so.

Good point, I'm hoping they will produce one once the MBP/Air GPUs catch up to 5K display capability, hopefully on the 2015 refresh cycle. I'm just not optimistic at this point.

If they keep the $999 price point it might cannibalize the $2.5K+ iMac 5K somewhat in favour of Macbook/TBD display combos.

d-m-a-x

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
got that rare issue now after update

My HP monitor has gone black on both the 2013 MP and 2012 MBP. It is plugged in via DVI adaptor. Have a dp cable coming in the mail, hope that fixes it. Do they play jokes on us, Is there a secret room where the apple engineers get drunk and laugh at the threads?

dtelena

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
Hello, yesterday I did apply the firmware update V1.2 to my 27 inches Thunderbolt Display but now the image on the monitor flickers from time to time and the image shows just like if it would have been affected by static electricity or an electromagnetic field (before anyone asks, NO there is no other electric or electronic device nearby and it was never before, also never before the monitor did suffer from this, actually it was working flawlessly before the update :mad:) I am pretty sure this was because of the new firmware 1.2 applied to the monitor and I know for sure I can't downgrade to a previous version so I am pretty worried and mad about this, the monitor is out of warranty... I just hope Apple may be working on a new firmware right now to correct this !!! but I know Thunderbolt Display firmware updates are pretty rare :( Has anyone experienced something like this ?

bbowden3

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2014
Auburn, AL
1.2 Frmware Destroys Thunderbolt Monitors

User Beware...

After installing 1.2 on a MBP15 (Late 2013) with dual monitors and also on a MAC mini with Dual monitors, the internal hubs become useless after sleep or hibernate.

Unplugging everything and rebooting will solve the problem most of the time

What a pain.

After reading numerous reports of this issue I setup a call with Apple Support;
they called and listened the put me on hold for 20 minutes...

A second guy came on the phone and started listening to the explanation, then dropped the call. (No Call Back)

Since I run my business on Mac Equipment and now have 4 - $1000 useless monitors / hubs no way to back up my machines.

What should I call again Apple or my lawyer?

-------------------

FYI, I live in Auburn where Tim and I were in school together in the 80's.

I don't know him personally but I do know a lot of people who do...

Any thoughts?

daveeasa

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2011
Hello, yesterday I did apply the firmware update V1.2 to my 27 inches Thunderbolt Display but now the image on the monitor flickers from time to time and the image shows just like if it would have been affected by static electricity or an electromagnetic field

Same problem for me, 2011 Air running Mavericks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.